Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:06 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,859 times

Advertisements

So I'm a community college student living in Southern California. I've been considering where I want to head out to when I'm done with school. I was initially turned off by Alaska because of its conservative politics and general isolation. However, after doing a little research I discovered that Alaska is not entirely full of wackos like Sarah Palin as people in California seem to believe.
To give you the run down, I'm 20 years old, gay, green party supporter, agnostic and generally put off by overly religious folk. I've heard that Alaska is more of a libertarian sort of conservative, which I don't mind really.
I enjoy nature and the outdoors a lot, but I enjoy the comfort of a city being close by (within an hour drive). I'm a social being and prefer to be around others of the sort, but I also like to lead my own life without people being up in my business. My mum grew up in a small town of about 20,000 and said she hated the inescapable gossip, which I cannot stand. Also, I like it when I can see new faces everyday.
At this point, I would probably get lumped into the Anchorage area and surroundings, which is fine, but I want to feel somewhat more immersed into Alaskan culture, not so much with other transplants. I want to feel like a true Alaskan, not just some tourist. I'm sick of Californians just as much as you guys are.
I'm also curious about Juneau. I grew up in Oregon so I'm used to that sort of climate, but I hear it stays rainy even into the summer, which worries me. But at the same time I'm afraid Anchorage may be a bit too cold. I mean, 40F for an average high in October has me a bit put off. I could probably get used to it, but it still frightens me a little bit.
For the most part I don't act like your stereotypical gay guy. I love the outdoors and getting dirty, I might wear some clothes that come off as "gay", but I also enjoy my flannel shirts and blue jeans. I've been told my voice sounds kind of gay, but whatever.
I also know Alaska is not as ethnically diverse as where I live, which may cause me to miss ethnic foods and whatnot. What do people in Alaska enjoy in terms of cuisine that is unique to the area? I also heard there's no Taco Bell there, which disappoints me.
Finally, what are some universities I could possibly continue my education at? It seems Alaska isn't well known for it's post-secondary school system like say, California, is. I'm studying foreign languages and music.

I haven't been to Alaska yet, but I do plan to visit soon before considering a move. Please inform me of anything else I need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 02:59 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
You mentioned politics and if you're outspoken about your views, you'll hate living in Alaska. When I'm here I keep quiet about my views unless its with friends because most people are very Republican, Conservative and Christian and very outspoken about their hate for Obama and Liberals. If you're okay with keeping quiet when you hear this stuff at work etc, Anchorage would be an okay fit, but still you'd be better off somewhere in Oregon, Colorado or Wasington since you're gay. Ethnic food sucks to be blunt, there is passable Korean food at best. There are taco bells though lol.

Alaska is great for the right person, but it definitely doesn't sound like it's for you.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You mentioned politics and if you're outspoken about your views, you'll hate living in Alaska. When I'm here I keep quiet about my views unless its with friends because most people are very Republican, Conservative and Christian and very outspoken about their hate for Obama and Liberals. If you're okay with keeping quiet when you hear this stuff at work etc, Anchorage would be an okay fit, but still you'd be better off somewhere in Oregon, Colorado or Wasington since you're gay. Ethnic food sucks to be blunt, there is passable Korean food at best. There are taco bells though lol.

Alaska is great for the right person, but it definitely doesn't sound like it's for you.
Are you sure? I mean I would think Anchorage would be more liberal being the largest city in the state. Plus I've heard plenty of people say they've had no problem with being gay in Alaska, even in the smaller towns.

I should also note that the voting trends in Anchorage show slightly more democrats than republicans.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:41 PM

66 posts, read 82,533 times
When you move somewhere you should try to adapted to the new area, not try to change it or bring your culture to it. What are the things that you like about Alaska? If its just to get away and be in beautiful scenery there is plenty of that in other places that it sounds like you would enjoy more.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffix View Post
When you move somewhere you should try to adapted to the new area, not try to change it or bring your culture to it. What are the things that you like about Alaska? If its just to get away and be in beautiful scenery there is plenty of that in other places that it sounds like you would enjoy more.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I don't want to do. I even did say I want to feel like a true Alaskan.
And to answer your question, the rugged, Alaskan lifestyle fascinates me. I'm not sure if I could jump right into it, but I know I could ease in over time.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Are you sure? I mean I would think Anchorage would be more liberal being the largest city in the state. Plus I've heard plenty of people say they've had no problem with being gay in Alaska, even in the smaller towns.

I should also note that the voting trends in Anchorage show slightly more democrats than republicans.
I've spent 14 years between Wasilla and Anchorage. There are options for gays in Anchorage, but compared to other cities, it's still more conservative. Alaska as a whole is VERY conservative. You'll still meet other people with your sexuality and can make friends, but your circle will be MUCH smaller than SoCal or Oregon for example. If I was an open gay liberal, I wouldn't choose Alaska. Go somewhere like Boulder, CO if you want a mountain town.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I don't want to do.
And to answer your question, the rugged, Alaskan lifestyle fascinates me. I'm not sure if I could jump right into it, but I know I could ease in over time.
If you live in Anchorage, it won't feel rugged. You need to go to the smaller rural towns, but then you definetely don't want to be an open gay liberal.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If you live in Anchorage, it won't feel rugged. You need to go to the smaller rural towns, but then you definetely don't want to be an open gay liberal.
I found a post on here where some guy said he lived in the rural towns of the Kenai peninsula and said no one had a problem with him being gay. Everyone's experience is different though, I get that. I don't plan to rub my political views in anyone's face, just as long as no one does the same. I am somewhat outspoken yes, but I also get that everyone has the right to their opinion.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:32 PM

863 posts, read 2,078,369 times
I know one guy in Anchorage who's gay, and not in an established relationship. Seems to get along alright. He used to live in Fairbanks, and that didn't seem to work out, if that tells you anything. Fairbanks is surprisingly full of lesbians, but apparently has very little gay scene otherwise. You'll find plenty of generally like-minded folks in Anchorage, but I can only imagine the dating scene would be a very small, everybody knows everybody kind of deal.

As far as other towns go, they're just very small. It's not so much that people will have a problem with you being gay, particularly if you don't fit the stereotypes that people find irritating. It's just that it will be very hard to meet people. Still, the small towns with a generally more liberal mindset are Homer, Talkeetna, and Girdwood. Girdwood is only an hour from Anchorage, so might be particularly worth looking into, though jobs are very hard to come by.

There are a lot of out-spoken people in Alaska, on all sides of the political fence (There are distinctly more than two sides here). And yes, the conservatives far outnumber the liberals. If you are easily offended, or take things personally, this is indeed not the place to be. If you roll with it, seek out like minded people to spend your time with, and enjoy the opportunities Alaska has to offer, you'll be fine.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:35 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
However, after doing a little research I discovered that Alaska is not entirely full of wackos like Sarah Palin as people in California seem to believe..
I think with this statement you have already demonstrated you would be able to adapt to Alaska. Many people form an impression of Alaska from utterly unreliable scources and are unable to overcome their incorrect stereotypes later on.

Quote:
..To give you the run down, I'm 20 years old, gay, green party supporter, agnostic and generally put off by overly religious folk. I've heard that Alaska is more of a libertarian sort of conservative, which I don't mind really. .
Yes, you are correct. Alaska is full of staunch Conservatives - myself included. Whether this is Libertarian in nature or not is a matter of semantics, but I think the Alaskan version of Conservatism is fiercely "individual liberty" at it's core, so individual lifestyles, religions, etc are a matter are to be respected and honored no matter what. At least that's my perspective, but maybe it's because I'm from Cali myself (OC no less).

Where I think people run into trouble is if the come up here with an "in your face" attitude, demanding that their cause, whatever it may be, is to be accepted by means of public policy (government). This tends to **** off Alaskans, if nothing else just because of principal.

For example, I think you may find more grief from your Green Party views than for any religious or lifestyle preferences. And it's not because Alaskans (including Conservatives) are "anti environment". Far from it, Alaskans are probably the most environmentally aware bunch in the country. All of us appreciate the environment and are keenly aware of how it supports our daily life. Alaskans are actually quite proud that they are able to protect the environment - while still using it's resources to sustain our economy. It's the "hands off, don't touch, we know better" insistance from a lower 48 groups (such as the Green Party) that really riles up a lot of folks here.

Quote:
I also know Alaska is not as ethnically diverse as where I live, which may cause me to miss ethnic foods and whatnot. What do people in Alaska enjoy in terms of cuisine that is unique to the area? I also heard there's no Taco Bell there, which disappoints me...
^^^This is a very astute observation...and you are correct, the lack of culinary diversity up here is surprisingly depressing and one of my Wife's and my biggest complaints. But there are Taco Bells up here FWIW.

Quote:
.Finally, what are some universities I could possibly continue my education at? It seems Alaska isn't well known for it's post-secondary school system like say, California, is. I'm studying foreign languages and music..
Well, there's the

University of Alaska, Anchorage
University of Alaska, Fairbanks
University of Alaska, Southeast

You get the picture...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska