Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 11:39 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Sterling since 1969. I've watched it grow from about 12 families to a few thousand people spread out over ten miles.
I was making a joke with the "everyone should move to Maine" thing! But yes...it's getting more and more crowded here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 10:02 AM

45 posts, read 107,235 times
It gets cold here, just like anywhere that enjoys a winter climate. The best thing to do to make sure your car starts is to park it in the heated garage!! My wife works at Kaparuk and leaves her truck running 24/7 in the winter. But here in Nikiski we very rarely have the kind of weather where I can't get any of my vehicles started if I take the proper precautions. But then, we don't have any of the really cold stuff like rance does in sterling, one of the coldest, if not the coldest spots on the pen.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:29 AM

It seems a tad bit colder here in winter...but I think it's a little warmer in the summer also!

Old 10-20-2006, 09:56 PM

45 posts, read 107,235 times
Rance,
agreed, your summer temps are a little warmer, further inland I guess makes for a more extremes to your temps. We are even warmer most times than Kenai in the winter. Of course we get a bit more snow too, so not sure that the trade off is all that great!

Old 11-17-2006, 07:44 PM

276 posts, read 848,857 times
Yeah Rance, why should everyone move to Maine. it sucks here.
That's why I'd like to move

Old 11-18-2006, 09:53 AM

Well don't tell anyone...but if everyone moves to Maine...we'll have more of Alaska to ourselves!

Old 03-12-2007, 12:57 AM

43 posts, read 240,772 times
So Rance that's how you look. Say, what kind of camera do you use to take your pictures?
Ann

Old 03-12-2007, 11:33 AM

959 posts, read 2,361,636 times
Nice picture, Rance ...yeah, I remember the good ol days in MN when plugging the block heater in was a necessity. Oh and FYI...small cars do NOT usually cut it when it's that cold out...I had a brand new VW beetle back in N MN and when it got -30, that sucker would die every time...even with a heater/oil pan heater, the whole 9 yards. I finally got smart and got a good old Chevy truck...it has never died because of the cold. Knock on wood...

Old 03-12-2007, 01:46 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,230,431 times
My first trip up to the slope was in a truck rented by my boss from some fly-by-night spot here in Anchorage. Flatbed Chevy. Arrived to start new job in Anchorage on Sunday, and loaded up on Monday. 2 trucks started out at 2 PM. We got about 30 miles out of Healy, and it turned out the coolant/heater system had problems. We broke down and it was -25. No heater in the truck for 5 hours and now this. (Remember, my previous job in Alaska was as a tech rep in warm surroundings. Airport to car to customer site and back.) I got out of the truck and saw the northern lights for the first time. We made it to Fairbanks and got a "permanent" fix on the heater the next day. We pulled out of Fairbanks and got 30 miles past Fox, and the hose blew. Sent the 2nd truck back for coolant and hose and clamps. repaired on the rod with a knife and zip ties well enough to get back to town. Fixed the truck that day, and left Fairbanks (again!) the next day. Got to Coldfoot that night, and plugged in the truck. The Bull rail shorted out that night, and of course the engine froze. 6 hours with a torpedo heater and a tarp got us to the point of starting. Wait, I know you're laughing, but this is true. This was my FIRST trip to bush Alaska. I had never been outside the cities without a car and a hotel and restaurant waiting for me at the end of the drive. I grew up in Chicago, but hadn't felt ANYTHING below -30. It was colder than I had ever imagined.

On the way back to Fairbanks from Atigun Pass, we lost oil about 50 miles out of Fairbanks. Hitched in and out with repair items and made it into town.

Yes, the engine WILL freeze (and so will you). There is a movie on youtube or myspace of students throwing a cup of coffee into the air in Fairbanks to listen to the ice crackle after the coffee freezes in midair and linds in frozen droplets.

I have seen steel and plastic crack when hit. Plastic actually shatters.

My kid used to think it was a waste of fuel on the slope to run the engines 24-7. He's learned. Everybody does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska