Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:48 PM

868 posts, read 1,426,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAuke View Post
Sounds like a spider bite. You did get lucky, but also I assume that if it continued to get worse, you would have sought medical help? That's where people really get in trouble with spiderbites- when they don't (or can't) get help. If it happens again, see a doctor as there are things they can give you to lessen the pain and prevent it from scarring as badly.

As for ticks- the CDC says there are no lyme-vector ticks in Alaska, but the Lyme Disease Association has a map based on CDC data which shows 53 reported cases of lyme disease in Alaska between 1990 and 2010 (and they estimate that the total # of cases is approx. 530). Given the severity of complications from untreated lyme disease, I think it would be wise to not assume you're safe from ticks here- especially in SE Alaska which is close to areas which the CDC does say has endemic lyme-vector ticks (Vancouver island).
It ended up not scarring at all. It never did ooze like some of the really ugly bites I have seen. Mostly it was just annoying, both physically and because it was summer and people kept asking what it was. I was in NW Missouri when it happened, so whatever it was is unlikely to get me again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 02:50 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAuke View Post
Sounds like a spider bite. You did get lucky, but also I assume that if it continued to get worse, you would have sought medical help? That's where people really get in trouble with spiderbites- when they don't (or can't) get help. If it happens again, see a doctor as there are things they can give you to lessen the pain and prevent it from scarring as badly.

As for ticks- the CDC says there are no lyme-vector ticks in Alaska, but the Lyme Disease Association has a map based on CDC data which shows 53 reported cases of lyme disease in Alaska between 1990 and 2010 (and they estimate that the total # of cases is approx. 530). Given the severity of complications from untreated lyme disease, I think it would be wise to not assume you're safe from ticks here- especially in SE Alaska which is close to areas which the CDC does say has endemic lyme-vector ticks (Vancouver island).
Well there goes that myth LOL... Always on the lookout for sure... used to it and I don't freak out but have been put on anti-biotics several times due to tick bites just for prevention... can't go off trail and NOT get ticks here in the woods.. this year they are terrible but unfortunately or fortunately ... I haven't had the time to hike due to preparation for my relocation... have a great day.. almost evening here in the mid-west...

Old 06-02-2020, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 582 times
I’m from London England,,, not thinking of moving to Alaska, but it’s a dream!
However, it’s been great reading your questions and answers,
I guessed the weather was to severe for snakes and spiders!
Pity that mosquitoes deal with it! I could deal with spiders and snakes! But mosquitoes would drive me insane.
Good luck to you lucky families making the move!
Wish I was coming with you!
Matt

Old 06-02-2020, 04:44 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London-matt View Post
I’m from London England,,, not thinking of moving to Alaska, but it’s a dream!
However, it’s been great reading your questions and answers,
I guessed the weather was to severe for snakes and spiders!
Pity that mosquitoes deal with it! I could deal with spiders and snakes! But mosquitoes would drive me insane.
Good luck to you lucky families making the move!
Wish I was coming with you!
Matt
Well, common non-poisonous spiders grow quite well in Alaska during the summer. For example, if you look closely, you will notice a white color spider that is feeding on a bee it had killed recently. I have no idea what kind of spider this is, and i am glad that it does not grow as large as I am

Old 06-02-2020, 06:52 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times
We have brown recluse spiders too. Luckily no snakes.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
We have brown recluse spiders too. Luckily no snakes.
About a year ago, during the winter, a lady bought a bunch of bananas at one of the local supermarkets in Fairbanks. A couple of days later she noticed a large spider on the bananas (I believe that one of her kids saw it first), and she trapped it in a drinking glass, then contacted F&G. The spider turned-out to be a relative of a jumping spider from South America. Spiders from central and south America have been found in banana bunches. Be careful when buying bananas

Old 03-10-2021, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, common non-poisonous spiders grow quite well in Alaska during the summer. For example, if you look closely, you will notice a white color spider that is feeding on a bee it had killed recently. I have no idea what kind of spider this is, and i am glad that it does not grow as large as I am
What a great shot! This is a Misumena sp. spider. They can change their color from white to yellow. And they occur in Alaska: [url]https://usaspiders.com/spiders-in-alaska/[/url]

Old 03-10-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildlifeFan007 View Post
What a great shot! This is a Misumena sp. spider. They can change their color from white to yellow. And they occur in Alaska: https://usaspiders.com/spiders-in-alaska/
Thank you for sharing. Very interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska