Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 08:06 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The kind of cold weather boot you should get really depends on your level of activity. If you are very active, then any cold weather boot with around 200 to 400 grams of Thinsulate insulation should be sufficient down to around -20°F. If you are outside, but not active, then you will want more insulation.

I use to hunt in a pair a Sorel Glacier boots, and my feet would get very hot and sweat. I had to bring an extra pair of wool socks, and change my socks after an hour of hiking in those boots.

Now I wear Irish Setters' 10" waterproof 200 gram Thinsulate Ultra Insulation Gunflint Boots on my hunts. I still bring an extra pair of wool socks, out of habit, but I have not needed them while wearing this boot.
You are correct about boot choices, Glitch. For example, when is very cold (-20 and colder), a pair of military white-color bunny boots are the best as long as one is not walking through deep snow. In this case a tall set of mukluks with some sort of shield or cover one can tie around the leg-below the knees-to keep snow out is best. And of course, these mukluks must have plenty of insulation inside, plus a footbed that is thick to keep the soles of your feet elevated from the soles.

When cold and dry outside and I am taking photos at the local sled-dog races, I wear a set of Baffin mukluks. These have lots of foam insulation, and I can tie the top to the boots around my legs to keep snow out. But as with most mukluks, I dry them thoroughly after wearing them outdoors for extended periods of times. One's feet would get cold in a short period of time once the insulation gets wet from one's feet perspiring.

I try to avoid leather boots when very cold outside, unless the boots have a type of leather that's very thin and water repellent. That way the boots can have a thick layer of insulation inside, and not look too bulky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 09:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You are correct about boot choices, Glitch. For example, when is very cold (-20 and colder), a pair of military white-color bunny boots are the best as long as one is not walking through deep snow. In this case a tall set of mukluks with some sort of shield or cover one can tie around the leg-below the knees-to keep snow out is best. And of course, these mukluks must have plenty of insulation inside, plus a footbed that is thick to keep the soles of your feet elevated from the soles.

When cold and dry outside and I am taking photos at the local sled-dog races, I wear a set of Baffin mukluks. These have lots of foam insulation, and I can tie the top to the boots around my legs to keep snow out. But as with most mukluks, I dry them thoroughly after wearing them outdoors for extended periods of times. One's feet would get cold in a short period of time once the insulation gets wet from one's feet perspiring.

I try to avoid leather boots when very cold outside, unless the boots have a type of leather that's very thin and water repellent. That way the boots can have a thick layer of insulation inside, and not look too bulky.
Snow gaiters are worth their weight in gold!

Okay, so maybe that is a bit of hyperbole. However, if the snow is deeper than the height of your boot (which is most of the time in Alaska), then snow gaiters are a good, cheap, alternative to buying tall boots to keep the snow out.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:04 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Snow gaiters are worth their weight in gold!

Okay, so maybe that is a bit of hyperbole. However, if the snow is deeper than the height of your boot (which is most of the time in Alaska), then snow gaiters are a good, cheap, alternative to buying tall boots to keep the snow out.
That's true, too, and sometimes I use those, even when riding my ATV during moose season. The gaiters keep mud splatters from getting on my pants' legs.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:29 AM

66 posts, read 82,491 times
Thank you all very much for all the ideas.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:29 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Unfortunately, the market doesn't work that way. They mostly make boots with a single purpose in mind.
Anyway, I was looking at Danner, but have no first hand experience yet:
Danner - Fort Lewis 10" Black 600G NMT - Boots

Another bootmaker many people recommend is:
Red Wing Shoes | Red Wing Work Boots

However, as I mentioned most boots are divided by purpose: hiking, climbing, work, hunting, skiing, etc.
I've had insulated danner boots with heavy vibram soles that have lasted 20+years.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:42 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,178 times
Danner is the best brand I've owned. I've heard they've gone to the China model too, though. Sickening. They used to all be handmade in Portland, OR. Keen are comfortable, but I've only used their light hiking shoes, not their boots. I can't imagine them lasting like a Danner. I won't buy any welded sole boots. I like stitchdown construction where soles can be replaced. I'd look into Danner, Chippewa, Whites, or maybe Georgia Boot if you want something cheaper. Maybe even Red Wing and Irish Setter.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:14 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,746 times
We use the Sorel Glacier Boots. They have worked for us in minus 30-40 degrees quite well. We also use them snowmachining. I have used mine on long snowmachine trips and my feet stay toasty.

Even the made in China ones have survived the hogboys. Some have been hand-me-downs through all four boys and are still in good condition.

We have bought them on Ebay and have never paid more than $50. including shipping.

With any cold weather boot make sure they are not too tight and you wear a good wool or wool blend sock and keep the boot liner and socks dry.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
We use the Sorel Glacier Boots. They have worked for us in minus 30-40 degrees quite well. We also use them snowmachining. I have used mine on long snowmachine trips and my feet stay toasty.

Even the made in China ones have survived the hogboys. Some have been hand-me-downs through all four boys and are still in good condition.

We have bought them on Ebay and have never paid more than $50. including shipping.

With any cold weather boot make sure they are not too tight and you wear a good wool or wool blend sock and keep the boot liner and socks dry.
Sorel Glacier boots are ideal for snowmachining. You just do not want to hike in them for very long.

Salomon also makes a good quality winter boot. A little on the pricey side, but very comfortable and very warm.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:24 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
How about Steger mukluks? Home - Steger Moosehide Mukluks and Moccasins - The warmest winter boots! I've heard they are similar to what the original Eskimos wore.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
How about Steger mukluks? Home - Steger Moosehide Mukluks and Moccasins - The warmest winter boots! I've heard they are similar to what the original Eskimos wore.
They are not even remotely similar to what the original Eskimos wore. The last time I checked, until the Russians and Americans came along the Eskimos had no clue what rubber and polypropylene were.

They are a very expensive boot. Probably due to the use of moose hide. If you are looking for functionality, you can do better, and for a much cheaper price. If you are interested in fashion, it may be the boot for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska