Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 11:12 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Make sure the bunny boots that you get are the real deal.

Bata made in the USA.

Anything else is a knock off. Real Bata bunny boots have not been made for over 20 years.

The black ones are not rated as cold as the white.

FLASHBACK: The Bunny Boots from Bata | Bata World News

The official Army definition for the Black boot is: BOOTS COLD WEATHER: MENS RUBBER BLACK W/RELEASE VALVE

The official Army definition for the White boot is: BOOTS EXTREME COLD WEATHER: MENS RUBBER WHITE W/RELEASE VALVE
A flash to the past. In Korea we called them Mickey Mouse boots. They worked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 11:26 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
A flash to the past. In Korea we called them Mickey Mouse boots. They worked!
Winter boot technology has certainly improved since the 1950s.

For example a substance invented to capture comet particles as the spacecraft passes through the comet tail for NASA, has found its way into winter boots. That substance is called "aerogel." Aerogel is a synthetic porous ultralight material derived from a gel, in which the liquid component of the gel has been replaced with a gas. The result is light weight, extremely efficient thermal insulator.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:33 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Winter boot technology has certainly improved since the 1950s.

For example a substance invented to capture comet particles as the spacecraft passes through the comet tail for NASA, has found its way into winter boots. That substance is called "aerogel." Aerogel is a synthetic porous ultralight material derived from a gel, in which the liquid component of the gel has been replaced with a gas. The result is light weight, extremely efficient thermal insulator.
Interesting. We got our gas from C-rations!

Old 12-29-2013, 10:21 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,900 times
Just bought my first pair of Red Wing Boots, model 1206. I was looking for a good overall construction boot that can handle
the snow and muck too.
And I wanted it made in the USA..That was the tricky part as some of their products r made here while others r made in
China..
Anyone have experience with Red Wing, feedback?

Old 12-29-2013, 11:00 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
Just bought my first pair of Red Wing Boots, model 1206. I was looking for a good overall construction boot that can handle
the snow and muck too.
And I wanted it made in the USA..That was the tricky part as some of their products r made here while others r made in
China..
Anyone have experience with Red Wing, feedback?
Well, I don't know about such Red Wing boot, but for the coldest areas of Alaska what you want is a boot that's lightweight and with lots of synthetic insulation. There are very few choices if you want boots made in the USA, but in Canada and Germany a lot of excellent boots are made.

The main problem is that one type of boot alone won't be sufficient in Alaska. For example, during moose season I use insulated rubber boots when the trails are wet or muddy, but if it's just snowing I may wear a pair of very insulated and waterproof leather boots, or a pair made by Sorel. If it's dry and cool, I wear some Meindl water resistant leather boots made for Cabela's. These are my favorite during moose season and summer as long as it's dry or I don't have to walk through deep mud.

In the middle of the winter when it's -20 and colder and I am stationary taking photos at the local sled dog races for extended periods of time, and in deep snow, I wear heavily insulated boots such as the ones made by Baffin (made in Canada). Otherwise I wear a pair of white "bunny" boots.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-29-2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 11:02 AM

274 posts, read 860,125 times
You will NOT go wrong with buying Red Wings. I wore them for several years and after retirement I still used them to do yard work. That pair lasted for 7 years. The only downfall is that they are hard to "break in" but once you do they are great.

I don't think dynamite could destroy Red Wing's. Well worth the money you spend.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:24 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Forgot something else about boots: while in very cold and dry temperatures boot waterproofness may not always be necessary, it can be a problem if for whatever reason your boots get wet. Other than that, tall mukluks that aren't water proof but are well insulated, work quite well. New synthetic insulations on mukluks that have a water-resistant but flexible outer layer are my favorite for extended hours outdoors. Leather can be made water-resistant and flexible, too.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:33 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, I don't know about such Red Wing boot, but for the coldest areas of Alaska what you want is a boot that's lightweight and with lots of synthetic insulation. There are very few choices if you want boots made in the USA, but in Canada and Germany a lot of excellent boots are made.

The main problem is that one type of boot alone won't be sufficient in Alaska. For example, during moose season I use insulated rubber boots when the trails are wet or muddy, but if it's just snowing I may wear a pair of very insulated and waterproof leather boots, or a pair made by Sorel. If it's dry and cool, I wear some Meindl water resistant leather boots made for Cabela's. These are my favorite during moose season and summer as long as it's dry or I don't have to walk through deep mud.

In the middle of the winter when it's -20 and colder and I am stationary taking photos at the local sled dog races for extended periods of time, and in deep snow, I wear heavily insulated boots such as the ones made by Baffin (made in Canada). Otherwise I wear a pair of white "bunny" boots.
Who long does it take to decide which boot to wear before you go outside... Seems like a flow chart is in order.

As with everything else, the more you do it, the quicker you get... (well, almost everything else)

Old 12-30-2013, 11:38 PM

115 posts, read 103,113 times
Default Do you expect to walk through snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffix View Post
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good boot that would be good for the cold, waterproof, and also good for hiking and working. I recently got some Sorels and found out there now made in China. I may end up keeping them and trying them out but wanted some more input. Thanks
Do you expect to be in snow? Like midwestern snow? If so, I do not think bunny boots will be warm/dry enough.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:02 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three20nine View Post
Do you expect to be in snow? Like midwestern snow? If so, I do not think bunny boots will be warm/dry enough.
Bunny boots (a.k.a. Extreme Cold Vapor Barrier Boots Type I) are rated down to -20°F (−28.9 °C). The Type II Extreme Cold Vapor Barrier Boot is rated down to -65°F (−53.8 °C). That is more than sufficient protection in any kind of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska