Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:37 PM

66 posts, read 82,514 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good boot that would be good for the cold, waterproof, and also good for hiking and working. I recently got some Sorels and found out there now made in China. I may end up keeping them and trying them out but wanted some more input. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 08:51 PM

115 posts, read 103,205 times
Post Take them back. Switch to Northface

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffix View Post
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good boot that would be good for the cold, waterproof, and also good for hiking and working. I recently got some Sorels and found out there now made in China. I may end up keeping them and trying them out but wanted some more input. Thanks
I have a pair of Sorels and I hate them. They do not keep my feet warm. They are very uncomfortable to walk in the snow in. They were very comfortable in the store, but on concrete and snow. Ugggg. The heel sits lower than the toe. Unless you have really good arches, it is a pain. I have heard that Columbia and Northface are really good.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:55 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
I wear the Keen Summit County III. They've worked well for me.

KEEN Footwear - Mobile

Old 12-18-2013, 10:20 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
I've got some Columbia boots that I like.
I've always like ExtraTuffs but now they are made in China too.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:51 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,218 times
I've used both the Baffin and Kamik rubber boots with liners. Both are supposed to be good down to -40, and they're pretty cheap (about $40 a pair). I used to take them out for hours at a time in -20ish, but I never really tested them in -40 any longer than a few minutes. Still, well worth the money. The only problem I had is that they started to crack after a couple of years.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:05 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Unfortunately, the market doesn't work that way. They mostly make boots with a single purpose in mind.
Anyway, I was looking at Danner, but have no first hand experience yet:
Danner - Fort Lewis 10" Black 600G NMT - Boots

Another bootmaker many people recommend is:
http://www.redwingshoes.com/

However, as I mentioned most boots are divided by purpose: hiking, climbing, work, hunting, skiing, etc.

Last edited by oberon_1; 12-18-2013 at 11:19 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 11:15 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,826 times
Bunny boots! You can get the black, Mickey Mouse boots that are a bit less bulbous, but these are the ONLY boots that my toes don't get frozen in.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:35 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,253 times
Make sure the bunny boots that you get are the real deal.

Bata made in the USA.

Anything else is a knock off. Real Bata bunny boots have not been made for over 20 years.

The black ones are not rated as cold as the white.

FLASHBACK: The Bunny Boots from Bata | Bata World News

The official Army definition for the Black boot is: BOOTS COLD WEATHER: MENS RUBBER BLACK W/RELEASE VALVE

The official Army definition for the White boot is: BOOTS EXTREME COLD WEATHER: MENS RUBBER WHITE W/RELEASE VALVE

Old 12-19-2013, 01:54 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times
I just got some Cabela's winter boots that I like a lot so far. I have Sorel Caribous and they're okay. Fit a bit big, but they're great for just tossing on. I put aftermarket insoles in all of my shoes and that helps. Sole makes some that have Thinsulate in them if you find yourself needing a bit more insulation, btw. My boyfriend has two pairs of Danners and loves them both. I wish our local store carried them for women, I'd like to try some on myself and never get to when I'm in town.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:22 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffix View Post
The kind of cold weather boot you should get really depends on your level of activity. If you are very active, then any cold weather boot with around 200 to 400 grams of Thinsulate insulation should be sufficient down to around -20°F. If you are outside, but not active, then you will want more insulation.

I use to hunt in a pair a Sorel Glacier boots, and my feet would get very hot and sweat. I had to bring an extra pair of wool socks, and change my socks after an hour of hiking in those boots.

Now I wear Irish Setters' 10" waterproof 200 gram Thinsulate Ultra Insulation Gunflint Boots on my hunts. I still bring an extra pair of wool socks, out of habit, but I have not needed them while wearing this boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska