Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times

Advertisements

To oifoefvet - I too think this is in line with your original question. Another person in a similar circumstance is trying to figure out how and where to live in AK on a low fixed income with no chance of getting a job for additional income. How was it taken over? You should be jumping in with your questions/suggestions/concerns too.

These "Earthships" look pretty cheap to operate since everything is recycled and they are design to take advantage of the area around you. Water roof cisterns, recycling water, solar, wind, efficient to heat. I had read about them before and couldn't remember the name. I wanted to suggest you look into it as well -and then- hippyman chimed in with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
I was waiting for this question I have been to Earthship Biotecture, and discussed everything with them. I plan to barge up the supplies to build it, and construct through them. I can use the ferry system to get to the mainland, and then I can take my vehicle with me to and from the island, correct?(the ones with road systems, that is)
As long as that Ferry goes to the Island or area you want to live on, yes. You could drive on with your "kit" and drive off to build it.

I was thinking you wanted to be on a non-road/ferry-accessible place as to limit your chances of human contact. Those islands or areas you typically have to get to by boat on your own - at least in the areas that Met is talking about.

You have work to do to figure out where you want to be and how you need to get there and get supplies there. It isn't remote like down here in the Lower -48, where remote means 100 miles to the nearest gas station/convenience store by car. It could be a lot further and there is no road to get to them, and at times flying or boating isn't possible as the weather has you socked in. You are basically trapped. And there is no phone, electric company power, water company water, etc... available. This was also said for oifoefvet's benefit too.

You both also need to figure out what kind of services you need to have near you as well. As much as I like remote too, I am a realist. I need to be able to get to a hospital or doctor in a reasonable amount of time. I realize that I am too sick to live that remote anymore. That my wife has a medical condition that could require EMS as well. We will have to pick rural, on the road system, with services.... It is just the way it has to be if we don't want to die prematurely in the wild. (and Met, this has changed, as before I was not sick and could handle my wife's issues, but not now)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 10:21 PM

460 posts, read 609,742 times
I think southeast Alaska might be cheaper and easier for a new person to start living in than in the bush. Temps in the winter can be down to 50 below. This morning was 4 below and has been colder recently. It is a good day when it gets around freezing. Although there is a lot of rain down in the panhandle and I am liking the sun, even if it is cold. Medications can go through the mail. Here- there is only a small clinic, but a Dr can do a prescription over the phone and there is a med dispensing machine, kind of like the candy bar thing, that the Dr can remotely operate. The nice thing here is that the humidity is low and i am able to store my dry goods in a shipping container. Even canned goods can be stored in unheated buildings 5 months of the year. At least up here, things don't rust as quickly.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Sorry to hear that, Dak. Are your plans still the same?

I'd say north-island POW would be a good fit for both of these guys. The salmon runs hit that area earlier by a couple of weeks, there's lots of game, you can find land without property taxes (but be advised that Ketchikan keeps trying to annex it; I doubt they will in the near future). Also, I don't have any info on it offhand, but after you become a resident, you're entitled to so many board feet of timber per year for building purposes. You have to get a Forest Service permit and find someone to mill the wood for you -- there's at least one smaller mill there that will do this in exchange for a portion of the wood.

The Wrangel area might be another possibility.

As far as all the small islands in southern SE, most of them are owned by the Native corps or by the feds; you can't really go live on them.

As far as medical stuff -- there are two clinics on the island; one in Craig and the other in Klawock. If something major happens, the Coast Guard helicopter in Ketch. can be there pretty quick and can go in pretty bad weather. Nonetheless, there are times when it can't. You can take the ferry to Ketch. from Hollis -- you can either do a round trip or spend the night or a few days. The Narrows Inn in Ketch. has a special discount for island residents. If you choose not to take your vehicle on the ferry, they'll pick you up and bring you back, but it's a little ways out of town so you'd have to take cabs for shopping. Nice little restaurant and bar at the Narrows.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:10 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
And the other thing is that most, not all, of POW doesn't have any zoning laws.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:12 PM

38 posts, read 94,520 times
One other thing, what is the wildlife on POW like? I'm really big into wildlife viewing.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
One other thing, what is the wildlife on POW like? I'm really big into wildlife viewing.
You can usually see orcas in the spring, and there's a place between Craig and Klawock where you can see sea lions. Eagles are everywhere, of course, as are deer. It's rumored that there have been moose sightings on north-island. No brown bear but blackies are everywhere. A bunch of Californians come up every year to film some asinine cable show about bigfoot; we made some footprints once for them to freak out over. Dumbasses.

There are wolves, but you'll probably never see them. Sea otters, martins, maybe a fox now and then but not many.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:42 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Bear viewing over at Polk Inlet.

Southeast, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Old 03-22-2014, 03:12 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times
Would the money needed to buy the land and house be paid for by your monthly check?

Old 03-22-2014, 05:32 AM

38 posts, read 94,520 times
I have money saved for that. What that doesn't cover, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska