Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 12:40 PM

10 posts, read 14,324 times
Long time no writing here. I am just updating the thread, since to my surprise, had gotten a lot of views.
We did eventually move to Metlakatla, in August 2014 and so far mostly great things are to be said about the place and their people. Of course, like everything, your experience here will depend of your mind frame, interests, and personality.

Regarding the place, it is a wonderful piece of nature, with infinite opportunities if you are into the outdoors, fishing, kayaking, etc. The fact that is under Reservation jurisdiction has kept development away in many senses, and still feels like you are free to roam everywhere. Lakes, forest, ocean, wildlife... the list is countless.

Regarding to people our experience has been very good, with to problems at all. Somewhere in this thread someone told a horrible story about their experience in town. Fortunately for us it has been almost the opposite, and we have only good things to say about how accepting people have been.

When we moved here, one of our main concerns was about our kids (9 and 11) and how they will adapt and be accepted in the school and the community. We have heard (and witness) horrible stories from other small towns in rural Alaska, and how "outsider" kids are treated. Fortunately nothing of this happened. On the contrary, their school mates and the community in general have accept them and incorporate them amazingly. We are very thankful for that.

Metlakatla has a very peculiar history that shapes their people and place. Although technically an Indian Reservation, it was a voluntary move into this land, back in the day. You can read basic history of town in at Metlakatla, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The community has managed, in my opinion, the "reservation" status pretty smartly, for their own convenience.

Be ready for rain, lots or rain; although probably everyone checking this thread knows about it already.

We are still living here, and I remember how scarce first hand information was when researching about the town. So I would be more than happy anwering questions, if any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 06:29 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
Thanks for reporting back... Usually that doesn't happen. I'm glad everything is going well for you.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
I was going to say -- it's really nice to see someone come back and let us know how they fared with their move. Usually, they just disappear and we never know.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:27 PM

Well... thanks for your words. It is amazing how little information you can get about Metlakatla, even living here! :^)

I remember researching about the town, and not finding almost anything updated. From the ferry rides to price of groceries, to internet speeds; it was pretty hard to find information about what we were heading into. One of my projects here is try to consolidate useful data about town in one spot, for prospecting people like me back in the day.

My garden is starting to sprout, so probably I will start checking the forums for tips and pitfalls.

Thanks again, and I repeat my offer to whom might need it.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:34 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
Thanks for the update, I agree it's nice to be updated compared to many threads that go cold.

How bad is the rain I always hear about down there? I am very intrigued by southeast Alaska, but know better then to move there as I'm very susceptible to feeling down when there is multiple rainy / grey cloudy days in a row. Planning an eventual ferry trip/visit when money and time permit. Good luck to you and your garden.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:03 AM

So 102 inches of rain and an average of 230 rainy days will keep you down for a good while. Since I moved here last year, we had several full-week streaks of rain, especially in the fall. According to locals, this winter was very mild, so instead of snow we got... you got it.... more rain! But I guess all this rain is the price to pay for the wonderful summers you can enjoy here. No mosquitoes is a bonus!
The Florida of Alaska, as locals like to call it. :^)

Old 04-15-2015, 10:27 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,950,716 times
Is the rain in that part of the state a constant steady rain, the crazy sideways torrential rain you seen in places along the Gulf Coast, or all of the above?

Old 04-15-2015, 11:43 AM

All of the above.
We have had rain in which you can barely see the front of your car, coming almost horizontally with 60 mi/h wind; then sun (wonderful rainbows n town, by the way) then fog, then torrential rain again.
Also you can get that steady rain that last for days. In general is more than a simple drizzle, more than enough to get you soaked in a minute. You can never trust what is going to happen in the next hour, especially in fall and spring.

Having spent many many years of my life in dry, desert places, I am still thrilled with all the water, clean and fresh, tons of it, coming for free from the sky! Wonderful weather to sit with a cup of hot chocolate.

It is interesting how, with such a changing weather, you learn to do things on the spot, when you can, without hesitate too much. IF it is nice now, try to enjoy it (run, walk, warden work, etc) because chances are that it won't last.

Summer months are much drier with up to two weeks without rain. Everything is wonderful, lush and vibrant for a while, and you forget how many days and cups of chocolate you had to drink during the rest of the year.

Luckily, I still love rain. (knock on wood...)

Old 06-06-2015, 05:54 AM

11 posts, read 21,657 times
Default Hey

I moved to Metlakatla in March and am working for National Weather Service out by the airport. Does your husband work at the school?

Old 06-06-2015, 06:00 AM

11 posts, read 21,657 times
It is funny though...May had almost no rain (only 1/2 inch) and it felt weird. Granted, we had alot of foggy days but no rain just didn't feel right. War Beagle, from what I have experienced, we have had all of the above regarding weather. Hard, driving rain, drizzle and fog, overcast and dreary, sunny and beautiful and just overall nice. I find that I really enjoy the beaches and love to take my dog for a walk along the beach at Smugglers Cove. The Moonsnail shells are everywhere. So far, I love this place and find that it isn't even that expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: