Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:28 PM

10 posts, read 14,324 times

Advertisements

Hi,

There is a good chance that my family and I will be moving to Metlakatla next summer. I have looked around the forums trying to find someone posting from there without too much luck (even 'Metlakatla' doesn't live there :^P ).

My wife has been raised in rural Alaska (from age 2 to 17) and Seattle, and we also have lived in the interior together a couple of years more or less recently, so Alaska is not new to us. What is new is Metlakatla and the southeast.

We know the basics... it rains a lot, the distance to Ketchikan, that is a reservation, the size, the schools, etc.; We consider ourselves pretty adaptable, but it would be great if anyone could give us any information about how it is to live there.

For instance, in the past we have experienced rural villages in which it was pretty tough for "white" kids; and this time we are moving there with our kids (8 and 10). What is the relation between "outsiders" and the community?. Any comments about that?

Another example, a silly detail. I heard that the town is 'damp' now, alcohol-wise. I am ( and have been) a home brewer for many many years. Can this be a problem?

In general, I would appreciate any general information about how it is to live there, logistic and socially wise.

Thanks!!

PS:I also like gardening, but I have that one more or less covered by other members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
There is no one posting here who lives in Metlakatla. I'm probably more familiar with southern Southeast than anyone here, but you seem to want to talk with someone who actually lives there at this time. Good luck with that.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:51 PM

10 posts, read 14,324 times
Well... at least I got an answer from you, which seems to be the closest... Thanks! BTW, pretty soon someone will be posting from there... :^)

Old 04-22-2014, 10:58 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
As for the alcohol issue you want to do more checking. The last I heard they were still dry. I know a lot of alcohol gets taken over there but being an outsider might not be good thing. I'd call the Metlakatla Police and just get the straight answer from them.

907-886-4011 that's their phone number

Old 04-23-2014, 07:38 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,991 times
If you're on facebook you might reach out to https://www.facebook.com/pages/Metla...a/240971414952 and see what they can tell you.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:51 AM

860 posts, read 2,056,836 times
I spent a month in Metlakatla a few years ago while my S.O. was working there. Yes, it is a Tsimshian reservation. I'm white, he is native. If I tried to get anything done by myself while he was at work, it was impossible. There was nothing at all to rent if I asked... lots of places if he asked. It would take a couple months to get a phone if I asked - a phone was hooked up immediately when he asked. It was like that everywhere I turned, I'd planed to spend the summer but one lonely month of being treated like an unwanted intruder was enough.
All I can tell you is that I hope my experience was unusual and that you have better luck, I don't think the locals liked my red hair.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:58 AM

2,676 posts, read 2,628,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
I spent a month in Metlakatla a few years ago while my S.O. was working there. Yes, it is a Tsimshian reservation. I'm white, he is native. If I tried to get anything done by myself while he was at work, it was impossible. There was nothing at all to rent if I asked... lots of places if he asked. It would take a couple months to get a phone if I asked - a phone was hooked up immediately when he asked. It was like that everywhere I turned, I'd planed to spend the summer but one lonely month of being treated like an unwanted intruder was enough.
All I can tell you is that I hope my experience was unusual and that you have better luck, I don't think the locals liked my red hair.
Pretty bad Sorry you had to go through that.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:08 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
Quote:
I guess that my red-headed wife would get kicked out of there, too.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:26 PM

879 posts, read 1,732,199 times
Quote:
{Crosses Metlakatla off of places to visit list}

Old 05-10-2014, 11:50 AM

325 posts, read 577,421 times
Quote:
I feel your pain, or I should say my husband felt it. I am native Polynesian/Hawai'ian and my husband is Appalachian Caucasian. When we met in service, there was some prejudice on my family's side, but we married anyway. When I needed something done, my family sent in the repairmen. When my hubby asked - well you know that response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: