Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Again, I was referring to explaining it to someone from out of state. I've found that people from different areas have very different ideas of what is rural and what is remote -- to some, for instance, living 20 miles out constitutes remote living. I also think it's more like 43 miles from Anchorage instead of 30

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-09-2014 at 03:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 10:09 PM

4 posts, read 9,318 times
Thanks for all the responses for the Palmer area.

Another question on the wind. How bad is it and are there places around the Palmer area to avoid less wind. I am looking at settling within a 20 mile radius of Palmer, but not towards Wasilla. Is there a concern for flooding in the area?

Paul

Old 05-09-2014, 11:22 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfieber View Post

Another question on the wind. How bad is it and are there places around the Palmer area to avoid less wind. I am looking at settling within a 20 mile radius of Palmer, but not towards Wasilla. Is there a concern for flooding in the area?

Paul
Unfortunately about the only direction you could head to perhaps get away from the wind is towards Wasilla. You might look at some of the subdivisions East of Palmer across the Matanuska River or in the Palmer-Fishhook area to the Northwest of Palmer. Both areas will still be windy but both have lots of trees which will break some of the wind.

I do not think flooding is a real big issue unless you find a place way off the beaten path. What has been an issue in the past is bank erosion along the Matanuska River.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:17 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfieber View Post

Paul
I drove school bus for a lot of years, all over the Valley. There's some spots in the Butte that seemed to not get as much wind. Someone explained that they sit in a spot where the mountains deflect it...
The only spots you'll see flooding is in any low areas or near streams & rivers. Along the Matanuska River there is some trouble spots. There's also a couple of neighborhoods along Wasilla Creek that I've seen flood too. Oh, and the along the Little Su off of Schrock Road.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:51 AM

863 posts, read 2,076,829 times
There are two winds in the valley - the Matanuska wind and the Knik wind, and they blow at different times under totally different weather conditions. The Matanuska is the worst because it aims cold air right at downtown Palmer during the winter, when there's cold high pressure over the interior, and low pressure on the coast. This wind also affects the Fishhook area, Sutton, Chickaloon, etc, but not Butte, which is right at the mouth of Knik River valley. The wind that blasts Butte is a Chinook, brought on by strong, warm weather systems from the Gulf of Alaska. It's a relatively warm wind in winter, but can blow at any time of year. Wasilla is in a position to get both of these winds, but not as strong.

The areas near Palmer that are somewhat protected from both winds are the Lazy Mountain area (Clark-Wolverine Road, Smith Road, Maud Road), as well as the Old Glenn Highway where it wind along directly below Pioneer Peak. Over there though, you just have to worry about 4 months without direct sun, and occasional avalanches...

Old 05-12-2014, 12:57 AM

173 posts, read 380,426 times
Heathen is right on with the valley wind report. The Bodenburg Butte area is immune to to cold, bloody hell wind that rips through the mat su for much of the winter. One thing about that area though is that it can be 18 degrees on the average day in Palmer, and it'll be -13 out in the Butte--no joke. Very common to see this in the winter. And strange because it's only about ten miles away as the crow flies.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:18 AM

863 posts, read 2,076,829 times
This is true. I used to live out by Hunter Creek, right in the bottom of Knik River Valley, and that's the only place in southcentral I've seen get below -40.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:19 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Unfortunately, when the winds start, there is usually little or no warning and they can sometimes last....for......days.....and.....days.

The one bright spot is if the winds are strong enough and last long enough, they will blow all of the snow off my driveway and out of my yard.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:03 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Unfortunately, when the winds start, there is usually little or no warning and they can sometimes last....for......days.....and.....days.

The one bright spot is if the winds are strong enough and last long enough, they will blow all of the snow off my driveway and out of my yard.
I can tell you are one of those glass half full types...

Old 05-12-2014, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 9,318 times
Default Places to stay in Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
There are two winds in the valley - the Matanuska wind and the Knik wind, and they blow at different times under totally different weather conditions. The Matanuska is the worst because it aims cold air right at downtown Palmer during the winter, when there's cold high pressure over the interior, and low pressure on the coast. This wind also affects the Fishhook area, Sutton, Chickaloon, etc, but not Butte, which is right at the mouth of Knik River valley. The wind that blasts Butte is a Chinook, brought on by strong, warm weather systems from the Gulf of Alaska. It's a relatively warm wind in winter, but can blow at any time of year. Wasilla is in a position to get both of these winds, but not as strong.

The areas near Palmer that are somewhat protected from both winds are the Lazy Mountain area (Clark-Wolverine Road, Smith Road, Maud Road), as well as the Old Glenn Highway where it wind along directly below Pioneer Peak. Over there though, you just have to worry about 4 months without direct sun, and occasional avalanches...

My wife and I will be coming to the Palmer area May 19th through 29th. We are looking for someone who possibly would want to rent out a room for us to stay during this time. This or other inexpensive places to stay would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska