Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 07:56 PM

50 posts, read 74,990 times

Advertisements

I noticed on my intellicast app that Palmer is supposed to be getting 68 mph winds right now. Would that be an average blow? And does it only get crazy windy in the winter? And for several days to a week at a time?

We like being outdoors except when it's too windy for the toddler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 09:14 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoloMom View Post
I noticed on my intellicast app that Palmer is supposed to be getting 68 mph winds right now. Would that be an average blow? And does it only get crazy windy in the winter? And for several days to a week at a time?

We like being outdoors except when it's too windy for the toddler.
It happens. A few times a winter we get these winds. And they'll last a few days... It's the thing I hate the most about winters here. We made a quick run to the store tonight and when you get out of the car, the wind shoves your breath back down your throat.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
It happens. A few times a winter we get these winds. And they'll last a few days... It's the thing I hate the most about winters here. We made a quick run to the store tonight and when you get out of the car, the wind shoves your breath back down your throat.
I am used to stocking up before winter really hits. And my motto is "If I don't have it, I don't need it." (Well maybe just until the next time I go shopping.) It was kind of funny because we are having a mild winter this year and I stocked up for "snowmageddon." Thankfully, my life is pretty flexible so I can stay home on windy days!

Thank you for the info! I can't wait to feel the Alaskan snow crunching under my boots and see my first moose!

Old 02-07-2015, 12:45 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
This winter has not been very windy. But this is a typical Palmer wind. You learn to hold on to your car doors to keep them from being damaged when opening with the wind, and to push very hard to open them against the wind.

I have lived in many places in Alaska...Palmer is my favorite area.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:48 AM

I did a video on the wind a few years back. Here it is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNCjsMaeX94

Old 02-07-2015, 08:15 AM

39 posts, read 58,808 times
Wow Marty, that wind is crazy... But the scenery! Gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing!

Old 02-07-2015, 09:07 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,561 times
One aspect that has been overlooked regarding the wind is the air quality. Often times, when the described winds are blowing there is a large amount of glacial silt, whether from the Matanuska river, Knik river, or Susitna river basins, that is picked up by the wind creating poor air quality and degraded visibility. At times, this current event in fact, that the dust is visible in the air over Anchorage and further south and is so dense that the scenery is obscured beyond detection. There are several events during the course of the year when, looking from Anchorage or Eagle River, one sees a river of brown dust 1000ft high flowing/blowing from one of the aforementioned basins.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:56 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Last night I was driving home from Pt. Mac just as the moon was rising over the Chugiak Mountains. With the dust in the air, it was the color of a blood orange. I wish I could've gotten a picture, but I wasn't getting out of the truck if I didn't have to...

Old 02-10-2015, 06:02 AM

Oh my goodness! It is sooo beautiful! More beautiful than I had hoped! And, yes, windy days we will definitely have to stay in! Wow! I am going to watch some more of your videos. Thank you Marty!

Old 02-11-2015, 10:11 PM

Haha. Didn't take the video to show off the beauty although it IS beautiful. Sometimes we get jaded living here...until we leave and realize what we are missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska