Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 09:57 PM

950 posts, read 924,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Just in case anyone doesn't know, here's the site for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. As its name implies, it's a government-run organization.

NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

This tells rather a different story than what's been claimed. So no, it isn't what it is.

According to the National Weather Service, above 90 temps in Fairbanks are pretty rare.

Alaska Heat Wave: 90-Degree Temperatures Break Weather Records - International Science Times

Thank you for facts!

.........Fairbanks has only reached 90 degrees 14 times in in the last 109 years....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 11:52 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
YW. It's not his fault, though. There's a plethora of sites online that are designed to look official but really aren't. Makes it tough to get the facts sometimes.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:10 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445
I find it hard to believe that in July, Fairbanks Alaska is above 90 for 22 out of 31 days.
Yup they sure do!!!!

Fairbanks gets QUITE COLD in the winter but QUITE WARM in the summer! (Warmer than anchorage (colder in the winter))

Old 05-01-2015, 07:50 AM

681 posts, read 1,207,133 times
Quote:
This isn't the NOAA official site. It's climate something.com and was probably patched together in India for adsense revenue. Please. It has Juneau getting more over 90 days than L.A.
I questioned those numbers too and went into the Weather Underground archives back to 2000 (a small period, but still relevant). The numbers for the referenced site in no way matched....not even close. I'm wondering what the sample size and duration was for the data presented at climate-zone. Regardless, I'm still not buying that Fairbanks has more 90+ days than Minnesota.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yup they sure do!!!!

Fairbanks gets QUITE COLD in the winter but QUITE WARM in the summer! (Warmer than anchorage (colder in the winter))

Did you even bother to read my post # 91 where I directly quoted ?

( it is only 2 posts above yours )

Old 05-01-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
I questioned those numbers too and went into the Weather Underground archives back to 2000 (a small period, but still relevant). The numbers for the referenced site in no way matched....not even close. I'm wondering what the sample size and duration was for the data presented at climate-zone. Regardless, I'm still not buying that Fairbanks has more 90+ days than Minnesota.
There wasn't one. Climate-zone isn't a real site. The purpose for its existence was to produce something called adsense revenue for whoever owns it, and it probably took less than 5 hours to put together. Some of the rest of the data is questionable as well. I mean, come on, it says that LA gets something like 6 days of temps over 90 in August. In other places, the data looks fairly accurate. What probably happened was that they pulled the data from a reputable source but didn't transcribe it properly.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-01-2015 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-01-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
There wasn't one. Climate-zone isn't a real site. The purpose for its existence was to produce something called adsense revenue for whoever owns it. Some of the rest of the data is questionable as well. I mean, come on, it says that LA gets something like 6 days of temps over 90 in August. In other places, the data looks fairly accurate. What probably happened was that they pulled the date from a reputable source but didn't transcribe it properly.

However, I am surprised that posters who posted that as " the truth" didn't say to themselves ..........." This just doesn't seem right"

Old 05-01-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yup they sure do!!!!

No, they don't. Some of you need to learn to fact check before you blindly believe what you see on some bogus site on the Internet. This forum is full of misinformation because someone Googled something and posted it as fact.

Look. Here's a bit of BS 101 -- if the site you've pulled from Google has a lot of ads on it, investigate further. And NOAA and other gov. sites will have .gov after them.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-01-2015 at 11:53 AM..

Old 05-01-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
However, I am surprised that posters who posted that as " the truth" didn't say to themselves ..........." This just doesn't seem right"
People really need to start doing this. There's so much BS on this forum simply because someone Googled something.

For me, making a living partially depends on providing accurate information, so my radar is pretty fine-tuned to BS, but seriously...if something doesn't seem right, there might be a reason.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:08 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Please let me know of places where temperatures are ever in the 90s with 100% humidity. I don't know of any. Certainly not in the lower 48.
Guess you have never spent a summer in SW Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska