Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 05:52 PM

134 posts, read 195,530 times

Advertisements

and Alaska does have humidity. last report i saw (yesterday or so - Anchorage) was 71% humidity. granted it's not like the Texas humidity with over 90 for both, but it is what it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:45 AM

681 posts, read 1,207,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
What's the percentage of Alaskans or North Dakotans who have neck tattoos versus the percentage of Californians or Floridians who have them?

Vermin indeed. Case dismissed.
Baltimore! Yeah, case dismissed.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:49 AM

692 posts, read 855,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I was just going to mention that... It was in the low 50s in Fox yesterday morning and I had the A/C on in my truck. I was on the phone with someone and said, "Holy cow dude, it's 52-degrees!! I feel like I'm going to burst into flames!"

In Texas half the population wears a coat at 50 degrees and complains bitterly about dying from the cold. We had that Tuesday in an unusual cold snap and I chose not to go garden out in the cold and damp. (I've acclimated to the TX weather and am happy outdoors all year so long as I have shade).

When I lived in Idaho I was always yelled at by my parents to put on a coat.

Acclimatization.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:11 AM

81 posts, read 124,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worryworryworry View Post
Im from Massachusetts, not Arizona.
Arizona is a dry heat. LOW humidity. Yes we may hit 120 in the summer.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:09 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
No. Minnesota is in a mid-latitude continental interior, which means it does not have moderating oceanic influences. You either freeze or you bake. The yearly temperature extremes are far larger in these interiors than anywhere in the world along a coast.
Which is great, but the majority of Alaska is not on the coast. Where I live I'm further from the ocean than Vegas, Phoenix and around the same distance as Pittsburgh. Do Vegas, Phoenix or Pittsburgh have a coastal climate?

The other point I'd like to mention is that the climate of Alaska isn't summed up by Fairbanks, or Anchorage, or Barrow, or Juneau. Anchorage has a different climate to Fairbanks, more similar to Juneau than Fairbanks, Juneau clearly has an entirely different climate to Barrow (and it would, it's around the same distance as Minneapolis is from Jacksonville FL).

So while Minnesota may have a continental interior climate, so does Alaska (though higher latitude). Which is why we have peak low -75F winters and peak high 100F summers.

Interestingly the number of days with a daily high over 90F in Fairbanks in June, July and August occur more often in Fairbanks than Minneapolis, although the average daily temperatures are lower.

Fairbanks # Days with a daily high at or over 90F (average daily temperature)
June 17 (59.8F)
July 22 (62.5F)
August 11 (56.8F)

Minneapolis # Days with a daily high at or over 90F (average daily temperature)
June 3 (68.2F)
July 6 (73.6F)
August 3 (70.5F)

So the claim made is actually accurate, at least as far as Fairbanks is concerned.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:42 PM

950 posts, read 924,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Which is great, but the majority of Alaska is not on the coast. Where I live I'm further from the ocean than Vegas, Phoenix and around the same distance as Pittsburgh. Do Vegas, Phoenix or Pittsburgh have a coastal climate?

The other point I'd like to mention is that the climate of Alaska isn't summed up by Fairbanks, or Anchorage, or Barrow, or Juneau. Anchorage has a different climate to Fairbanks, more similar to Juneau than Fairbanks, Juneau clearly has an entirely different climate to Barrow (and it would, it's around the same distance as Minneapolis is from Jacksonville FL).

So while Minnesota may have a continental interior climate, so does Alaska (though higher latitude). Which is why we have peak low -75F winters and peak high 100F summers.

Interestingly the number of days with a daily high over 90F in Fairbanks in June, July and August occur more often in Fairbanks than Minneapolis, although the average daily temperatures are lower.

Fairbanks # Days with a daily high at or over 90F (average daily temperature)
June 17 (59.8F)
July 22 (62.5F)
August 11 (56.8F)

Minneapolis # Days with a daily high at or over 90F (average daily temperature)
June 3 (68.2F)
July 6 (73.6F)
August 3 (70.5F)

So the claim made is actually accurate, at least as far as Fairbanks is concerned.

I find it hard to believe that in July, Fairbanks Alaska is above 90 for 22 out of 31 days.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I do too, and looking around the site that was posted, it says that Annette Island gets 7 days of over 90 temps in July. I'm sorry, but that simply isn't the truth. Looking around at the data for other communities...sorry, but this site isn't accurate. It also says Juneau gets 7 days of above 90 heat in July and that Bethel gets 6, and that Kotzebue gets 3. It also says that Los Angeles gets 5 days in August where the temps get over 90 degrees. I don't think that's right.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-30-2015 at 08:16 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 08:07 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
I find it hard to believe that in July, Fairbanks Alaska is above 90 for 22 out of 31 days.
Hard to believe or not, it is what it is. Do you think the NOAA and weather service are making up the data just for me?

Remember all it takes is one sample per day for it to be classed as 90F or above, so we're talking peak daily high, not average temperature or even average high.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:20 PM

This isn't the NOAA official site. It's climate something.com and was probably patched together in India for adsense revenue. Please. It has Juneau getting more over 90 days than L.A.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:31 PM

Just in case anyone doesn't know, here's the site for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. As its name implies, it's a government-run organization.

NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

This tells rather a different story than what's been claimed. So no, it isn't what it is.

According to the National Weather Service, above 90 temps in Fairbanks are pretty rare.

http://www.isciencetimes.com/article...mperatures.htm

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-30-2015 at 09:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska