Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,597 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I won't recant the same long story about how and why it has always been my life long dream to move to AK(although it has) because I am sure Alaskans have heard and seen it all. What I am interested in...is making contact with locals who have lived and or still live in the area I am considering as one of the possibilities for relocation. Currently I am living in NY and am making plans to be out of here in 19 mths or less. My family and I will be homesteading(we are small homesteaders now living semi-off grid so I do have some idea on what the lifestyle will entail).

I will be transferring my work to Anchorage and need to limit my travel time to no more than 1 hr. 15 minutes. We are looking to be 30-45 minutes outside a viable town like Wasilla so we can have access to stores. We want to live off grid and am looking to buy property this upcoming spring in an area suitable to live as unrestricted by building codes as possible, ideally 10 acres or more. We want raw land with water access(spring or ability to dig a well).

Can someone with knowledge who wouldn't mind conversing over the long-term message me and give me specifics and pointers on how to go about making what will essentially be the biggest but most exciting move of my life?

My specific questions for now is it better to stay near Eagle River, Wasilla, Palmer or is there other options that would suit my needs?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated,

Lastrontiergirl(yes I know this is spelled wrong)

Last edited by Lastrontiergirl; 07-19-2015 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 10:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Working in Anchorage and living off-grid don't really go well together.

I would rent in Anchorage first and give yourself time to look around at various properties.

With your travel limits, I'd stick close to the city or at least in Eagle River. Thirty or forty minutes outside of Wasilla will put you that much farther from Anchorage.

Keep in mind that there's a lot more to the commute times than distances would indicate. When it's winter and there's a wreck on the highway, it may take you more than two hours to get to the Valley from Anchorage. Wrecks are commonplace, and there aren't any alternate routes.

Maybe someone will message you with more info, idk, but you really need to be in Alaska and look around for yourself before deciding where you're going to live. Again, your desired commute time limits your choices significantly.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:01 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastrontiergirl View Post
Hi,

I won't recant the same long story about how and why it has always been my life long dream to move to AK(although it has) because I am sure Alaskans have heard and seen it all. What I am interested in...is making contact with locals who have lived and or still live in the area I am considering as one of the possibilities for relocation. Currently I am living in NY and am making plans to be out of here in 19 mths or less. My family and I will be homesteading(we are small homesteaders now living semi-off grid so I do have some idea on what the lifestyle will entail).

I will be transferring my work to Anchorage and need to limit my travel time to no more than 1 hr. 15 minutes. We are looking to be 30-45 minutes outside a viable town like Wasilla so we can have access to stores. We want to live off grid and am looking to buy property this upcoming spring in an area suitable to live as unrestricted by building codes as possible, ideally 10 acres or more. We want raw land with water access(spring or ability to dig a well).

Can someone with knowledge who wouldn't mind conversing over the long-term message me and give me specifics and pointers on how to go about making what will essentially be the biggest but most exciting move of my life?

My specific questions for now is it better to stay near Eagle River, Wasilla, Palmer or is there other options that would suit my needs?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated,

Lastrontiergirl(yes I know this is spelled wrong)
Before you buy land, come visit and put boots on the ground. I like Met's suggestion of renting first before buying.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:36 AM

863 posts, read 2,078,369 times
It's unlikely that will work out, but the locations where it would be possible are mostly along the Upper Hillside above South Anchorage, Bear Valley especially, and a few backroads behind Eagle River. Also maybe Knik River Road.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:56 AM

6 posts, read 7,102 times
There isn't anything in the Municipality of Anchorage that isn't covered by city building codes. Also, you want ten acres or more of land so you will definitely be limited to the Mat-Su Burough as everything I could find in the municipality appeared either exorbitant (up to over 500k) or totally unsuited for homesteading (shadowed, swampy or rock). Met's correct in that your commute to Mat-Su can take a while depending on the time of day you are commuting and if there are any issues on the highway. I've seen it take up to 4 hours due to a combination of time of day (congestion), weather and wrecks. Bear in mind that isn't the normal but it will still take up to an hour each way.

Also, you really need to do due diligence on checking out any of the land available as quite a bit of it isn't suitable for homesteading. A lot of the land parcels in the Mat-Su that are suitable for farming/homesteading inside your travel range have been subdivided into much smaller lots.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:28 AM

227 posts, read 258,263 times
If you want to homestead but work in Anchorage, and also expect to limit your travel time to 1 hr 15 mins, then you may want to fly up and try to drive out of Anchorage at quitting time. The commutes to the valley (which is true, that's where you can get enough land to live somewhat off grid) are horrible.

We are currently trying to decide if we'll consider any homes past Eagle River just because of the commute. The terrible traffic always gets to me the most. I've been in it, I've seen it, and I've heard horror stories about it. And that wasn't even during bad weather. We aren't moving back home for a couple more years but I travel back about every year.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:19 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
The huge flaw in your plan is the commute time. You are taking 2 1/2 hours potentially out of your day, but if you expect to live somewhat off grid you will desperately need that time for homestead chores. I made the commute for 20+ years and found the 2 hours a day I burned up doing the drive cut into my chore/home improvement/recreational time significantly. Long story short, you are working, eating and sleeping and not much time for anything else.

You will also need to choose your 10 acres carefully. A lot of the Mat Su is swampy, you really would never want to look and buy in the winter, you need to see it and walk it. If it was me I'd be looking up towards Point MacKenzie, which puts you about an hour and a half to 2 hours outside Anchorage......and keep in mind that if your job puts you in south Anchorage, south of Tudor road, that adds another 20 minutes commute time struggling through rush hour in ANC before you get to the highway. To do this you need a job in Wasilla or Palmer. Maybe Ft Richardson. But Anchorage is going to be a killer.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:46 AM

195 posts, read 278,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
The huge flaw in your plan is the commute time. You are taking 2 1/2 hours potentially out of your day, but if you expect to live somewhat off grid you will desperately need that time for homestead chores. I made the commute for 20+ years and found the 2 hours a day I burned up doing the drive cut into my chore/home improvement/recreational time significantly.
This is a great point. To add to this, you need to take into consideration the darkness. 2 1/2 hours of commute time is going to seriously cut into your daylight during a chunk of the year. Many homestead chores will be better (and more easily) accomplished in the daylight. Even down in Juneau our sunset is already at 4pm for the year, and it's only early November. There are still a lot of dark months to come.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:42 AM

83 posts, read 90,848 times
well first off .....the place is crooked as hell,you don't believe me? Ask the law enforcement.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:30 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petester View Post
well first off .....the place is crooked as hell,you don't believe me? Ask the law enforcement.
Lay off the weed and make an intelligent comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska