Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 02:51 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times

Advertisements

Met - We agree we just got there differently... No one is going to export weed from AK. And yeah, that other legal substance is a bigger problem that what the future weed growers of AK will do.

Pitts - The gravy train is over in oil and gas for the time being, maybe forever? I wouldn't bet on it either way. Personally, whether you make 6 figures a year or not doesn't affect me either. So why should I care about who makes what and in what industry? I care about what the state makes off the industries is has or could have (Tourist, Oil, Mining, agriculture, fishing, crabbing, aquaculture, etc...) because if the state can't make enough, I GET TAXED for it and that could affect my income more than the PFD. Sorry that the industry you work in is falling flat on its face. I wish it wasn't, but it is. I don't need to do nearly as much about it as a lot of people do. The question is what are 'we' going to do about it. OR what are we going to support/push our law makers to do about it? What is the solution? I see one forced solution is a lot of people are going to get out of town and go somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 03:01 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
I will move to where I can make real money. I don't really care what they do as long as I can keep a 6 figure job I will stay (unless my soon to be wife wants to support me in a lower paying job lol). Paying an income tax would suck but as long as there are big money jobs it wont be such a big hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Met - We agree we just got there differently... No one is going to export weed from AK. And yeah, that other legal substance is a bigger problem that what the future weed growers of AK will do.

Pitts - The gravy train is over in oil and gas for the time being, maybe forever? I wouldn't bet on it either way. Personally, whether you make 6 figures a year or not doesn't affect me either. So why should I care about who makes what and in what industry? I care about what the state makes off the industries is has or could have (Tourist, Oil, Mining, agriculture, fishing, crabbing, aquaculture, etc...) because if the state can't make enough, I GET TAXED for it and that could affect my income more than the PFD. Sorry that the industry you work in is falling flat on its face. I wish it wasn't, but it is. I don't need to do nearly as much about it as a lot of people do. The question is what are 'we' going to do about it. OR what are we going to support/push our law makers to do about it? What is the solution? I see one forced solution is a lot of people are going to get out of town and go somewhere else.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:33 PM

Like I said -- people will leave.

I am in that boat too, in fact if things JUST didn't start to work out in my life we might have had to pull out and regroup.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:58 PM

That's my point, if you have to leave why would you care about what the state is doing, how they are doing it or how much money they make doing it?

Unless you have a vested interest in the out go of said money it is largely irrelevant. All most people should care about is what solutions result in an abundance of high pay (read 6 figure) jobs.

Quote:
Like I said -- people will leave.

I am in that boat too, in fact if things JUST didn't start to work out in my life we might have had to pull out and regroup.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:08 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
IIRC less than 4% of jobs in the US pay $100,000+ per year.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:23 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
That's my point, if you have to leave why would you care about what the state is doing, how they are doing it or how much money they make doing it?

Unless you have a vested interest in the out go of said money it is largely irrelevant. All most people should care about is what solutions result in an abundance of high pay (read 6 figure) jobs.
Some of us still have family in AK so it does matter what happens. If it gets really bad we might have to open up that spare bedroom (and where will we put that treadmill?)

Old 01-25-2016, 05:04 PM

I'm in the state unless I can't eat by staying in the state. It would have been easier for us to leave, but we fought so hard to get there I am not giving up easily... In fact, GnomadAK - got a spare closet for us? (kidding)

I care about what happens to AK, because what happens will determine whether I can stay or not. And I want to stay!!! It looks like we should be OK, but if prices, taxes, and unemployment go way up. (which means my wife becomes unemployed) it gets difficult.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:35 PM

You have to truncate all the noise (you cant compare degreed professionals to migrant workers). If you truncated all the noise the percentage is much higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
IIRC less than 4% of jobs in the US pay $100,000+ per year.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:40 PM

I want to stay too but I want to do more than eat and watch TV because im too broke to do anything else, that is a non starter (I worked to hard in school and building my career to live like that). I wont live in Alaska just for the sake of living in Alaska there has to be something on the table. Also I don't have a paid for house yet so I have to be able to make a mortgage payment if we decide to "buy in". It is not cheap to live up here.

Quote:
I'm in the state unless I can't eat by staying in the state. It would have been easier for us to leave, but we fought so hard to get there I am not giving up easily... In fact, GnomadAK - got a spare closet for us? (kidding)

I care about what happens to AK, because what happens will determine whether I can stay or not. And I want to stay!!! It looks like we should be OK, but if prices, taxes, and unemployment go way up. (which means my wife becomes unemployed) it gets difficult.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:53 PM

You shouldn't live anywhere just to be there... I could have stayed where I was and be miserable or as you said, eat chips and watch TV because that's all I could afford or want to do.

It's expensive to live in most places people would want to live in. Try SoCal, South Florida, NYC to name a few. I do pay a little less for groceries overall in South Florida and only because the fresh stuff is cheaper (and tastes better). Since I have been traveling back and forth I started comparing prices. And what I pay taxes on in Florida vs. so far None in Anchorage.

The problem is that very cheap houses and land areas do not have the jobs. While I like Anchorage and the city, I don't REALLY want to live in the city, but I am stuck there... Why? Because the better schools for my kids and my wife's job is there. Buy your large house and areas of land in one of the more remote areas of the state... But of course that means along commute to work. I guess that is why a lot of people I have met have cabins in the rural areas. So they can escape the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska