Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 09:40 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I am not knocking the military at all -- I hope you didn't take it that way. I find it refreshing that an area actually welcomes the military, as not all areas want bases or military people around them.

It worries me that the military is reducing the number of people stationed in AK. I forgot that mining was probably really important in the late 1800 and into the 1900s... Lately it seems like everyone is against anything relating to a mine though.
I understand, Dasker. My apologies if I sounded like I was in defense of the military. All I was trying to say is that the Federal Government dumps a lot of money in Alaska. Without oil, all that's left for Alaska is the Federal Government with programs, highway and other funds, the military, and so on. It may be because 61% of Alaska belongs to the Fed. Government, but I don't really know. While every now and then there is a reduction in some areas of the military, there are increases in other areas. For example, as far as I know he operation of Eielson AFB as a military base has been extended, plus a new aircraft squadron has been added.

For the past few years, the present administration has been dead-set against coal mining, and this has been detrimental to the Usibelli coal mine. However, what keeps this mine going is around five coal-burning power plants (four I remember are one at UAF, Fairbanks, Fort Wainwright, Eielson AFB).
-----------------
By the way, the Federal Government owns over 84% of Nevada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 09:53 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
Hate to say it, but coal is on the way out... And in the future I can see those coal plants being phased out too. And I am not saying I am for or against that either. Another area I need better information on. In Florida the power plants are nuclear - the backup coal plant was demolished awhile back. IIRC, there are natural gas backup generators in the state too. However, you are correct in that the goal of the current administration and EPA is to get rid of all coal burning power plants. They really want to get rid of diesel vehicles as well.

That back and forth with Met and Riceme is disturbing too. I feel a great pride in being an Alaskan resident and I am starting to understand the need to keep jobs in state and hire residents when possible. Too much money is leaving the state and not getting reinvested or spent here.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
It's not like employers are hiring out-of-staters in favor of locals on a whim. If people aren't willing and able to work, or if there simply isn't a large enough local labor force, the jobs still have to be filled.

Idk. I have no plans to ever become an Alaskan resident again. I'm a citizen of the United States, not of some state. If Glitch were still here, he'd probably go on a cabernet-fueled rant, but I got over that whole Alaska thing years ago.

ETA that wasn't directed at your comment, Dakster; I was just sort of thinking out loud. I also need to add that just because I've never met anyone who works at Greens Creek doesn't mean they'll all from out-of-state; I have no idea. It's fairly close to Juneau and may draw employees from there. There are several available job openings on their website if anyone is looking for work.

I do know that you've got to have an Alaska address to access the state employment website, so there's that.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-23-2016 at 11:08 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 12:59 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
The labor issue I was talking about with Met earlier was out of state, just to clarify.

GE was trying to pitch "Clean Coal" maybe about ten years ago... not sure if the commercials aired in Alaska. It was widely received as BS and I think they dumped the whole project... lots of bad press. No one was buying coal as any kind of "clean" anything.

It's funny... I don't think Usibelli hardly produces anything, yet I know they're hiring even still.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:05 AM

681 posts, read 1,207,531 times
Usibelli puts out about two million tons a year.....mainly to South Korea, Chile and Alaska power plants. I believe the former clean coal plant in Healy has been converted to a conventional coal burning facility.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:36 AM

I think their production is way down in the past few years... down to about half of that, I believe, because exports have decreased, production has followed. Do you know why the "clean coal" facility converted to conventional? I don't imagine that was a cheap conversion.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:46 AM

Oh holy smokes, nevermind... I see the plant never produced. What a CF.

Dreaming big: 6 Alaska boondoggles | Alaska Dispatch News

Old 01-24-2016, 10:48 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
States are really asserting their "rights" and as much as I am a citizen of the United States, you also become a citizen of the State and even community you live in. Until I went to Alaska, I was never attached strongly to a state before. Florida is so transient there are a lot of people here, but no one is from here. Even though I was a second generation Floridian.

I don't disagree with your comment Met. I get it too - that there are jobs and they have to be filled. So after the local search is over, you got to go national. And for certain things someone from outside has a better skillset than the people that applied within. When the economy is going down you as a resident or business owner in the state that you rely on to live, hate to see all the money generated in the state leaving and not helping to support the very economy you depend on! If we have more oil that we can use, I am not against selling on the open market. (assuming our SPR is really full).

IF we really operate as one country, there would be one driver's license with the same rules across the US. One concealed carry permit or gun rules/laws. One set of taxes... And that is a generalization. I know that areas need there own rules or laws because each area is different.

I am an American FIRST. And most people I know that live in any state feel the same way. It's what even gave me the right to move states in the first place.

Almost as bad as I am talking to my benefits coordinator down in Miami had some some questions about my move and I explain that we are going to Alaska and the comment back was how nice, leaving the country in retirement. I said yes, I'm moving back to the states.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:07 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
In the US, more electricity is being generated by coal-burning plants than the rest:
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3

Nuclear power is cleaner, except for the waste left behind. In my view it is similar to the environmentalists embracing the use of spiral CFLs to light one's homes, and then having to worry about the disposal of the of mercury inside.
---------

Now, about working in Alaska, one of the State taxes proposed by Governor Walker would be paid by all, including seasonal workers.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:31 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post

I don't disagree with your comment Met. I get it too - that there are jobs and they have to be filled. So after the local search is over, you got to go national. And for certain things someone from outside has a better skillset than the people that applied within. When the economy is going down you as a resident or business owner in the state that you rely on to live, hate to see all the money generated in the state leaving and not helping to support the very economy you depend on! .

I don't see it that way and never have, sorry, and I'm not even sure what you're talking about. Some people like to complain about the seasonal workers taking money out of the state, but businesses that depend on them would not survive on local labor markets. I've heard people complain about the oil and gas industry hiring primarily out-of-staters, but could what's left of it survive on a purely Alaskan labor force? I'm not so sure. Outside workers also spend plenty of money in Alaska, and many even decide to stay and become residents. In my community, seasonals pay sales tax like everyone else, and that goes directly back into the local economy.

In the specialty seafood industry, nothing is truly Alaska specific, so maybe I have a different slant on it than others. I can, though, assure you that my business is an important part of the local economy even though I'll retain my -48 drivers license and citizenship.

Alaska needs outside money much more than the rest of the country needs Alaska. It lives on outside money, basically. Those who want to be angry at the fact that seasonal workers take money home with them should keep that in mind. Idk, Alaskan can't have it both ways. Most seem adamantly opposed to a personal income tax while having no problem sucking up fed. dollars that someone else pays into.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-24-2016 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska