Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 10:35 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

Idk. I'm having a hard time having any sympathy for Alaska. I remember the year of the highest Pfd ever when gas prices really were a hardship for a lot of people. It was almost $5 a gallon. I remember having trouble affording my commute to work. Meanwhile, in Alaska, people were buying ATVs, meth, and other junk with their oil money all the while proclaiming their "fierce independence" all over the Internets. Yeah, I know the Pfd is more complex than that, and I know this statement makes me sound as if I "hate Alaska," but enough is enough. Evidence of wasteful spending has been everywhere for years.

Time to grow up, Alaska, and pay your own way.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-17-2016 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 11:18 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
Such is life GnomadAK... But now there is going to have to be forced changes. It is going to take more than just one thing to help fix it.

According to Finance Head in Alaska - do you want to go down a ramp or off a cliff? Looks like we are heading towards the cliff.

Yes oil some 30 years ago was $8 a barrel - but what is that in today's dollars? What was the state budget like back then? I know wages were not what they are today either.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:20 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
Seems like about 20% of the threads now are about the 'Price of Oil'. I say: make it negative...for the lols.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:19 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Alaska has more than just price of oil problems-the pipeline is old, it was designed for a 35 year lifespan, and the oilfields are getting played out , past the original estimate of 10 billion barrels. If oil was still $100 a barrel it might make sense to invest in repairs and upgrades but at $30 I don't know if the oil companies are making money off AK crude. The age of oil is still happening but the age of oil in AK is winding down and yet the average man on the street has not and will not acknowledge just how much trouble the state is in. So they will so no to taxes, no to eliminating the PFD, and demand the oil compaines be taxed beyond all reason. The oil companies will at some point say "uncle" and that will be that.
Yup, that is the truth. We are well below the break even price for the pipeline and only those with deep pockets can afford to continue operating, but for how long? At some point they will cut their losses.

This sort of thing is so frustrating to read:

When Gov. Frank Murkowski stepped before the Legislature in 2003, facing a $500 million shortfall, he announced: “What is our plan for increasing revenue? Well, ladies and gentlemen, in a single word, ‘oil.'”

Alaska oil tax could raise as much as marijuana with prolonged $35 price | Alaska Dispatch News

Old 01-17-2016, 03:26 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,530 times
If the feds and tree huggers hadn't stopped all the exploration on the slope maybe there would have been a different outcome?

Old 01-17-2016, 03:33 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
If the feds and tree huggers hadn't stopped all the exploration on the slope maybe there would have been a different outcome?
That would have helped, it surely would have postponed the impending crisis. The environazi's did a heck of a job on their side, better than the industry, if you talk to the average lower 48'r about it they believe not a word of the truth about ANWR. Maybe President Trump can open it up before they have to mothball the pipeline.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:09 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Idk. I'm having a hard time having any sympathy for Alaska. I remember the year of the highest Pfd ever when gas prices really were a hardship for a lot of people. It was almost $5 a gallon. I remember having trouble affording my commute to work. Meanwhile, in Alaska, people were buying ATVs, meth, and other junk with their oil money all the while proclaiming their "fierce independence" all over the Internets. Yeah, I know the Pfd is more complex than that, and I know this statement makes me sound as if I "hate Alaska," but enough is enough. Evidence of wasteful spending has been everywhere for years.

Time to grow up, Alaska, and pay your own way.

Alaskans have perfected the art of pi$$ing away money. I don't mind losing my dividend and paying taxes, but not to support this bloated farce of a government...

Old 01-17-2016, 05:09 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,784 times
Who remembers the bumper sticker "Please God give us another oil boom, we promise not to **** it away" well, that didn't go as planned

Old 01-17-2016, 05:57 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,530 times
Yes that one and "I drove Tudor Road".

Old 01-17-2016, 06:59 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Who remembers the bumper sticker "Please God give us another oil boom, we promise not to **** it away" well, that didn't go as planned
Lol... promises, promises! Someone needs to resurrect that bumper sticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska