Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 12:52 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,206 times

Advertisements

Just a heads up. Running away from crime to Alaska makes no sense. Alaska is not a crime free state. Google crime rates in Alaska.
CoG? Modern CoG or more fundamental?
I admit I've never been to Homer area, but I'd wait before you moved up here. I believe the fishing is good if you have a boat. Not that great without one? Not positive on that assessment though. Also your income idea...not sure if its cover your rent and utilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 08:02 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Are you a troll? Because you don't sound real. If you're a troll, you need to be more creative. If you're real, you need to stay in SC. Opening a candle shop in Homer is not a good business move.
Excellent points.

I have never seen so many crazy threads from people wanting to move to Alaska. Right now it's the worst time to move up here. And selling candles? You can buy all kinds of candles, and cheap too, just about anywhere in town.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:57 PM

7 posts, read 6,332 times
Am I a troll? Are you a idiot? I asked a few questions and get called a troll. Yes I'm real. I'm not a flag flyer. Ive checked out the crime rate and the crime types in the majority of the state. You haven't a clue as to whats going on elsewhere if you think yall have it bad. Yes I understand the state is in a huge deficit. try living in a surplus but with everything (education,roads, jobs...etc.) getting cut. As far as candles its more something to do than worrying if itll pay the bills. It does good here it should do the same there. Thanks for the input. I now understand what needs to be done.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:15 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,516,539 times
My input is that if you need medical facilities you probably need to be in Anchorage. And even in Anchorage I am having issues finding doctors and even getting appointments. Fly or drive up, look around, make your decision. While we currently do not have an income or a sales tax, my best guess is that they are coming. But of course being from SC you already have those, so it isn't anything new to you. One thing that I will warn you on, it's expensive to get here and leave here.

We made the move from Florida and I really like it up here - BUT we came up here with a job in hand.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:22 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunky dunk View Post
Am I a troll? Are you a idiot? I asked a few questions and get called a troll. Yes I'm real. I'm not a flag flyer. Ive checked out the crime rate and the crime types in the majority of the state. You haven't a clue as to whats going on elsewhere if you think yall have it bad. Yes I understand the state is in a huge deficit. try living in a surplus but with everything (education,roads, jobs...etc.) getting cut. As far as candles its more something to do than worrying if itll pay the bills. It does good here it should do the same there. Thanks for the input. I now understand what needs to be done.
No, I'm not an idiot. I'm not the one thinking of starting a candle shop in a small Alaskan town, or the one who thought about living at Chena Hot Springs (which, as mentioned previously, is privately owned resort property), the one who said he'd "take everyone out into nowhere and just build," or the one who's hell-bent on moving to a state that's probably approaching its worst economic years in its entire history. You think things are getting cut where you currently live? You ain't seen nothing.

You don't say what your skill set or budget is, but in your place, I'd consider Idaho. Much cheaper, closer to medical services, and probably a better chance of finding work. There's some really nice little towns close to Boise where it won't cost you a fortune to live.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-28-2016 at 12:35 AM..

Old 02-28-2016, 02:13 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunky dunk View Post
Well if not a troll then an idiot. How do you expect to pay for everything? Did you win a lottery?

Old 02-28-2016, 02:47 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,965 times
I am a follower of this forum but non-Alaskan. But yes what you want to do seems is it find a quieter more rural, safer area but also reasonably close to a larger city for services. There are many many options in the lower 48 for you that are far cheaper and better for what you want to do. Heck come to northern Minnesota....there are lots of summer touristy lake resort towns and you get colder than Anchorage but yet in the lower 48 and cost of living is a tad less.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:14 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,173,463 times
At least there are these forums these days to try to warn people from persuing foolish plans.

If you are the kind of person who can't make the best of where you are now, Alaska is going to be very unkind to you. That chip you carry around on your shoulder (and the others out there) will crush you in Alaska. It's a land of opportunity for the prepared and the resourceful and a trap for the unwary.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:01 PM

7 posts, read 6,332 times
Weve thought of Wasilla and palmer. ive also looked into Soldotna and kenai and Nikiski. But so far Anchor point is the one that best suits what I'm looking for. Thanks for your inputs.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:57 PM

92 posts, read 94,589 times
I'M still confused on how you will support yourself. How much money do you think the most successful candle shop can possible make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska