Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 16,826 times

Advertisements

Birch Harbor? Around 7 miles outside of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 10:38 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWesterner13 View Post
Birch Harbor? Around 7 miles outside of town.
Not a bad area. I had a friend live in that area for several years and liked it.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:50 PM

9 posts, read 16,896 times
We've been house searching the the area as well! We currently live in east anchorage, and are just done with the petty crime and gang activity in the area and all the people. Some areas that we think seem nice (so far) are:
Secluded meadows off of Fairview loop (along with a few other neighborhoods off of fairview loop that I don't currently remember the name of)
Snowgoose estates in the fishhook palmer area, Vail estates (wolf road) in that same area, and Trinity estates in also that sameish area.

This is all just from us driving and checking out what sort of feel we get from the places, so not from actually living there.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamiChristine05 View Post
We've been house searching the the area as well! We currently live in east anchorage, and are just done with the petty crime and gang activity in the area and all the people. Some areas that we think seem nice (so far) are:
Secluded meadows off of Fairview loop (along with a few other neighborhoods off of fairview loop that I don't currently remember the name of)
Snowgoose estates in the fishhook palmer area, Vail estates (wolf road) in that same area, and Trinity estates in also that sameish area.

This is all just from us driving and checking out what sort of feel we get from the places, so not from actually living there.
There's a facebook group for Fairveiw Loop: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1616913005253537/
Ultimately I would recommend working with a good, local Realtor who knows what's going on in each neighborhood.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:28 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Wasilla has worse traffic than Anchorage and has generally crappy people. Palmer is a great community, I live in anchorage and grew up north of palmer. I used to have to go to Wasilla alot as I had a plane at wasilla airport and the traffic through Wasilla was HORRID and the people were schmucks, just rude nasty people.

There might be nice pockets around Wasilla but I hated it. But the crux of the issue is if you try to live in Palmer and work in Wasilla the traffic on the palmer wasilla highway now has a crap ton of lights and it takes forever to get to wasilla even during non rush hour. I mean its not as bad as commuting to anchorage but for as short as the drive is its pretty aweful.

Living in one of the neighborhoods near the parks might be ideal. Wasilla is the arm pit of the anchorage/Valley area, I have also heard that all the meth originates closer to the Wasilla area rather than the Palmer area.

BUT I think Palmer is quite a bit more expensive.

I think the person who times the wasilla lights graduated from Wasilla high lol.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamiChristine05 View Post

Seriously, have you even driven through the main drag of Wasilla on the parks at 5pm on a week day. It is twice as bad as east anchorage and the meth and heroin is rampent in the wasilla area.

Are you sure you are not talking about wolf lake dr?

Old 11-18-2016, 11:37 AM

Gee... I've lived in Wasilla for 20 years. The wife was born and raised here. Her dad was born and raised here. Her grandfather homesteaded here in the '50s. I didn't realize we were such terrible, crappy, rude, nasty schmucks. Oh, and apparently we must be meth heads too...
Traffic is easy to avoid. Bypass the busy roads at peak times. As simple as that. The Palmer/Wasilla can get busy. So take the Glenn to the Parks. Or use Bogard/Seldon now that it's been put all the way through.
Actually... Ya know what? I'm not going to waste any more time trying to defend where I live. I'm too busy working and living and enjoying life.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:45 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
. The Palmer/Wasilla can get busy. So take the Glenn to the Parks. Or use Bogard/Seldon now that it's been put all the way through.
When I lived in Wasilla that's what I usually did. That weird double light just past 4 corners heading to Palmer...whose idea was that?

Old 11-18-2016, 08:47 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,034 times
Quote:
Gee... I've lived in Wasilla for 20 years. The wife was born and raised here. Her dad was born and raised here. Her grandfather homesteaded here in the '50s. I didn't realize we were such terrible, crappy, rude, nasty schmucks. Oh, and apparently we must be meth heads too...
Traffic is easy to avoid. Bypass the busy roads at peak times. As simple as that. The Palmer/Wasilla can get busy. So take the Glenn to the Parks. Or use Bogard/Seldon now that it's been put all the way through.
Actually... Ya know what? I'm not going to waste any more time trying to defend where I live. I'm too busy working and living and enjoying life.
I go to Wasilla all the time and don't find the traffic that bad at all. We do most of our shopping there, in fact. There is definitely a different feeling to Wasilla versus Palmer, but I find the people out there to be about as friendly as the people in Palmer, honestly.

Palmer: More religious types

Wasilla: Younger population. More roughneck types (for lack of better descriptor).

Neither Palmer or Wasilla seem dangerous to me. Nothing like Anchorage, anyway. So glad we got out this past summer. 29 homicides since July, I believe....yikes.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Just because there nice people that happen to live in Wasilla does not negate the fact that there are a lot of rude nasty people there as well. Yes, I take bogard when I have to go to Wasilla because there is one really nice busness there that I will drive out of anchorage for.

But I am speaking in general.

Also I feel sorry for anyone that uses Wasilla airport, the pilots (and talkeetna) there are the worst of the aviation community. I am sorry that I had the displeasure of that being my first airport as a plane owner.

A lot of "get off my yard" types there and that attitude spill over to everything else.

I also never asked anyone to defend themselves, if your not rude or nasty then that's awesome. All I am saying is that I grew up in the valley and there is a pretty stark difference between Palmer and Wasilla with Wasilla having a disproportiant number of crap bags. Loud mouth vitriol, people throwing cig butts in the bed of my truck, larger number of giant lifted trucks with emissions controls removed, I could go on and on. With the new extention through colony high to truck and bogard I am seeing the crap bags start to trickle into Palmer though so maybe its just a matter of time before Palmer starts attracting the roaches.

sure if you want to work a non-traditional schedule and head home at 7pm and sneak around on the back roads you can do it and avoid the a** hattery, anything is possible. I am just giving a 3,000 ft view between Palmer and Wasilla they are not the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska