Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 11:13 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times

Advertisements

Truckloads of cash to meet the demands of those wishing to convert their checks into currency are already their way north.

Quote:
Armored-carrier personnel stash the bills in zip-tied cloth bags and drive it from the central bank's super-secure cash facility in Renton, Washington, to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, where it is loaded into the cargo holds of planes bound north.
https://www.adn.com/business-economy...-it-gets-here/

My advice for those who want to stay safe in the aftermath of the check is to stock up on everything you may possibly need so that you don't have to be on the road during the time the cash from the checks is circulating throughout the economy. If you've got a favorite type of firewater you like to enjoy on weekends, purchase it before the check hits your community -- otherwise, liquor store lines will probably be long and product stocks may be seriously depleted. You won't have to worry much about the availability of local food items, but then, it's probably still wise to avoid going to the store. I'm bracing myself for the usual fireworks and drunken revelry from my charming neighbors down the road.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-05-2016 at 12:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 08:57 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,101,674 times
Yep, I'm going to the grocery store after work today, and apparently will miss $5 Friday at Safeway, cos there is no way I'm going to battle the masses for $5/lb chicken.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:07 AM

681 posts, read 1,206,422 times
If the check is only half of what it could be, does that mean the resulting craziness will be cut in half?

Old 10-05-2016, 09:08 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,101,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
If the check is only half of what it could be, does that mean the resulting craziness will be cut in half?
^don't you wish! Haha

Old 10-05-2016, 10:55 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times
I'm buying three cases of Jack Daniels, a whole bunch of fireworks, a big screen TV, and the rest I'm putting a down payment on a 18% interest loan for a brand new snow machine! I was going to save my kids PFDs for their college, but then I decided "nah."

In all seriousness, I have to go into Fairbanks tomorrow for an appointment and I was going to do some grocery shopping. Will fred myer really be that crazy just cause some people got a little bit of extra money? Will I lose faith in humanity and my fellow Alaskans by going? I already get stressed enough in Fairbanks on a regular day.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:53 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,331 times
Freezer & DVR is full. Helping the in-laws at their place on Saturday, chores at our place on Sunday. I should be able to avoid the crowds while they pi$$ away their half checks.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:08 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I'm buying three cases of Jack Daniels, a whole bunch of fireworks, a big screen TV, and the rest I'm putting a down payment on a 18% interest loan for a brand new snow machine! I was going to save my kids PFDs for their college, but then I decided "nah."

In all seriousness, I have to go into Fairbanks tomorrow for an appointment and I was going to do some grocery shopping. Will fred myer really be that crazy just cause some people got a little bit of extra money? Will I lose faith in humanity and my fellow Alaskans by going? I already get stressed enough in Fairbanks on a regular day.
Depends if you beat the crowds.

It really can be that crazy (at least Anchorage).

Old 10-05-2016, 02:35 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
I am fascinated by this read. I had no idea what craziness happens when you get your check.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:54 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I am fascinated by this read. I had no idea what craziness happens when you get your check.
It's a bonus. Our family doesn't budget for the check. I do not need it to survive, though it is a nice (taxable btw) bonus.

The cost to live in the state is astronomical, especially for those that live off the road. Poverty is rampant in the villages and just like anywhere else, there are people that blow through this check for nonessentials. There are some that use the check responsibly, and it could be argued that using it for pleasure is responsible as well.

For us it cost $6-700 to get to Anchorage. Hotel rooms cost around $100/night and a rental car will cost around $40-50 a night. Which means a 2 night stay will burn through the check for us.

Free trips to Anchorage means my grocery bill gets cut by 2/3s which is where we save money. However, we order in bulk and I have a work related trip scheduled for November.

The check is a big deal. Businesses know this and they have sales centered around the check or two checks amount.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:19 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Me too! I live in Colorado. Very curious ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska