Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 03:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,777,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I am fascinated by this read. I had no idea what craziness happens when you get your check.
Craziness happens. Personally, I have no problem if someone wants to drink up their check, but resulting activities put others in the community in danger more often than not. Child and spousal abuse rates skyrocket, drunk driving rates soar, that sort of thing. Many parents use up their children's checks in some fashion. I get tired of people who've lived in the state less than 10 years acting as if the check is somehow their birthright. Any politician who even breathes a hint that the money isn't going to last forever is promptly voted out of office, and the check has attracted a certain element...

but what really gets me is the ones who keep clamoring for some other industry to come along and take oil's place, making it possible for them to keep getting their checks. This is the same type who claim to be "fiercely independent" Alaskans. I honestly wish the check would disappear; I think the state would be better for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 04:05 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,109,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I'm buying three cases of Jack Daniels, a whole bunch of fireworks, a big screen TV, and the rest I'm putting a down payment on a 18% interest loan for a brand new snow machine! I was going to save my kids PFDs for their college, but then I decided "nah."

In all seriousness, I have to go into Fairbanks tomorrow for an appointment and I was going to do some grocery shopping. Will fred myer really be that crazy just cause some people got a little bit of extra money? Will I lose faith in humanity and my fellow Alaskans by going? I already get stressed enough in Fairbanks on a regular day.
YASSS. Have you never been on a Friday afternoon, or right before a holiday? You could not pay me good money to walk into a store in Fairbanks tomorrow. Well, maybe if I was heavily sedated. Even then... Nah.

A few years ago I accidentally bought a pickup at Affordable during their dividend sale. I say "accidentally"... I was planning the purchase, but definitely not planning on it being the weekend after PFD was distributed. It was a freaking zoo. Total sh*t show.

I can't go to the store at certain times of day or on the weekends. I don't like people enough to be able to cope with that much of the masses all at once.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:35 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,311,561 times
^Well that's not good news. I like to take advantage of getting "cheap" groceries while I'm in Fairbanks, and wasn't thinking about the check when I planned this appointment. Perhaps Safeway will be less crazy? Just want some milk that's not $6 a gallon and some fruit/veggies that aren't already rotting on the shelf.

Anyways, hopefully earlier in the morning it won't be too bad. Maybe the real crazy people will still be sleeping.

I've been getting bombarded with ads from everywhere about PFD sales. I'm planning on saving the majority of my PFD, but this $209 fat bike from Sam's club they keep teasing me with sure looks tempting for this winter . Luckily my wife keeps me in line.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:59 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,174,123 times
Quote:
^Well that's not good news. I like to take advantage of getting "cheap" groceries while I'm in Fairbanks, and wasn't thinking about the check when I planned this appointment. Perhaps Safeway will be less crazy? Just want some milk that's not $6 a gallon and some fruit/veggies that aren't already rotting on the shelf.

Anyways, hopefully earlier in the morning it won't be too bad. Maybe the real crazy people will still be sleeping.

I've been getting bombarded with ads from everywhere about PFD sales. I'm planning on saving the majority of my PFD, but this $209 fat bike from Sam's club they keep teasing me with sure looks tempting for this winter . Luckily my wife keeps me in line.
You ever tried Fred's bush orders department. There is one in Fairbanks. Not sure if you have to live off the road to use it or not, but it has saved us a lot of time shopping.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:27 PM

941 posts, read 1,916,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
It's a bonus.
For us it cost $6-700 to get to Anchorage. Hotel rooms cost around $100/night and a rental car will cost around $40-50 a night. Which means a 2 night stay will burn through the check for us.

Been there done that MANY times! For something as simple as a medical visit will eat that check right up you will be lucky to buy a gum with it.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
Been there done that MANY times! For something as simple as a medical visit will eat that check right up you will be lucky to buy a gum with it.
You know that's right.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:27 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,311,561 times
Quote:
You ever tried Fred's bush orders department. There is one in Fairbanks. Not sure if you have to live off the road to use it or not, but it has saved us a lot of time shopping.
Haven't tried it, and don't live off the road system. But I'll have to look into it, thanks. Anything to spend less time in there would be nice.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
No, anyone with membership can use bushmail. You can either order via "pick & click" online, or fax your order in, and it will be ready in the back by the receiving docks the next morning. I like to order online, but sometimes what the system shows they have/do not have in stock is wrong, and you can specify those known details in a faxed order. I pretty much exclusively use bushmail at Sam's.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:35 PM

^oh, I somehow missed that you were talking about Fred's. I was talking about Sam's

Old 10-06-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Haven't tried it, and don't live off the road system. But I'll have to look into it, thanks. Anything to spend less time in there would be nice.
I don't think living off the road matters, but check into it.

THey charge 10% and shipping. I have to ship regardless and the 10% fee includes packing (the anchorage store does a great job packing and the boxes are sturdy and reusable).

When we were in the village, we had 75 dozen eggs shipped over the course of the school year. We lost a total of 5 dozen eggs to breakage and 4 1/2 dozen was in one shipment (they replaced too).

We bought all our fresh veggies and eggs from them, as well as coconut milk and cheese, and even bacon (would have them ship frozen bacon out). IT would take a day to get to us once it shipped. If anything happened to the bacon or cheese it was on us, but it was a risk I didn't mind taking.

We would use their on-line circulatory and order from it.

We don't use it nearly as much, but that is mainly b/c mail doesn't get to the hub as fast as it did the village (no idea why).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska