Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,730 times

Advertisements

I work up on the North Slope and therefore are in Alaska living and working for more than 180 days a year. I have an Alaska driver's license, car registered in Alaska and my permanent address is in Anchorage. Recently, I got married and my wife lives in the lower 48. Can I stay an Alaska resident (from what I've read I believe I meet all the requirements), fly down on my days off (2 weeks in Alaska and 2 weeks down south) and stay with my wife and still claim Alaska residency? I don't apply for the PFD because you have to report being gone for more than 90 calendar days. I can't seem to find anything that says I'm in the wrong but wanted to hear people's thoughts/knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 03:51 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Not without lying, I'd think. You won't be resident at your Alaska residence.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:29 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
My understanding is that as long as you don't claim the benefits of residency in another state you can. So don't register to vote, don't go for a resident hunting/fishing license, etc in another state. As you said, you wouldn't qualify for the PFD, but you could still be a resident.
Here's the ADF&G definition: Residency Definitions, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Old 03-16-2017, 10:37 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Unless you are maintaining a physical personnel residence somewhere in Alaska as your primary residence, the 180 plus days you spend living in company housing on the North Slope does not qualify you as an Alaskan residence.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:43 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
My understanding is that as long as you don't claim the benefits of residency in another state you can. So don't register to vote, don't go for a resident hunting/fishing license, etc in another state. As you said, you wouldn't qualify for the PFD, but you could still be a resident.
Here's the ADF&G definition: Residency Definitions, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

A big question is he maintaining a "home" in Alaska or is his primary "home" somewhere in the lower 48?

Old 03-16-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Most states require you change over your driver's license within a fairly short time frame of moving there. Car insurance and the like will also require his new address. And, if the other state has income tax, he'll probably have to pay it there (assuming he's following the law) which will probably screw up Alaska residency. Also, his non-estranged wife being resident in another state would look very bad for him if it did come to an inquiry, investigation or audit.

OP, why do you want to maintain Alaska residency while you're not living in Alaska?

Old 03-17-2017, 01:26 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Most states require you change over your driver's license within a fairly short time frame of moving there. Car insurance and the like will also require his new address. And, if the other state has income tax, he'll probably have to pay it there (assuming he's following the law) which will probably screw up Alaska residency. Also, his non-estranged wife being resident in another state would look very bad for him if it did come to an inquiry, investigation or audit.

OP, why do you want to maintain Alaska residency while you're not living in Alaska?
Avoiding income tax would be my guess. Which, of course, might change soon.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Avoiding income tax would be my guess. Which, of course, might change soon.
Yeah, in that case, it wouldn't even matter whether or not Alaska allows him to maintain resident status - what matters are the other state's tax laws.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:56 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennnk View Post
I work up on the North Slope and therefore are in Alaska living and working for more than 180 days a year. I have an Alaska driver's license, car registered in Alaska and my permanent address is in Anchorage. Recently, I got married and my wife lives in the lower 48. Can I stay an Alaska resident (from what I've read I believe I meet all the requirements), fly down on my days off (2 weeks in Alaska and 2 weeks down south) and stay with my wife and still claim Alaska residency? I don't apply for the PFD because you have to report being gone for more than 90 calendar days. I can't seem to find anything that says I'm in the wrong but wanted to hear people's thoughts/knowledge.
Sure it's easy. Lots of people do it. Just maintain a residence in Alaska. At the very least you will need to have a residential address in Alaska, where you can receive mail 365 days a year. Where you actually spend your free time, is nobody's business, but your own.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:03 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
OP, if this is about state income tax you should talk to a CPA in your wife's state. The last thing you want is the government coming to you in 2027 demanding 10 years of back taxes, plus interest and penalties. And they will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: