Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:39 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times

Advertisements

One of the most dangerous jobs in Alaska is commercial fishing, and every now and then a ship goes down. The result is a few dead fishermen every year. Here is a new one, off Dutch Harbor:
adn.com | Alaska News : Four dead, one missing in sinking of fishing boat off Dutch Harbor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 08:45 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,415,619 times
May they RIP

Did anybody else see the comment someone left about bottom fishing?

Old 03-23-2008, 09:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
The sequence of those comments are hard to figure out.

When the Prince of Wales was a little boy, he always said that when he grew up he was going to work on a certain seiner that was his favorite of the ones that came into Steamboat Bay. I can't even remember the name of the boat now but the guys on it would always ask him what his favorite boat was and he would answer that it was that one.

The crew were all killed out of Washington a few years ago.

He wasn't on it, of course. He figured out there were better things to be doing with his life when he was about 8.

For all you young guys who see the romance of it on television...there is so much more out there for you.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:37 PM

122 posts, read 573,104 times
That's good advice...

Your highness.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:15 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,561,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
One of the most dangerous jobs in Alaska is commercial fishing, and every now and then a ship goes down. The result is a few dead fishermen every year. Here is a new one, off Dutch Harbor:
adn.com | Alaska News : Four dead, one missing in sinking of fishing boat off Dutch Harbor
I read about that & that really sucks. I saw a show about a rescue of a guy that was on one of those boats, he fell in & luckily they were able to fish him out. He was shellshocked & then started crying. I couldn't believe they were actually able to get to him but they reacted so quickly to him falling overboard so that is probably what saved his life.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:54 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,241,893 times
Yeah...we heard about this on the news yesterday and those in the WA fishing community are pretty rattled. A good friend of mine who lives in Seattle used to be a commerical fisherman. He's a big old dude from Norway too. Looks like he can crush boulders with his eyeballs. He's out of the business now. The back-breaking work didn't phase him, but the sheer danger of the deal did. He too found better things to do with his life.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:25 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Back when I used to fish Bristol Bay there were 2 or 3 every year that fell overboard. Most of them were trying to get a bucket of water while the vessel was under way. There is a trick to lowering a 5 gallon bucket on a rope to scoop up some water. You gotta be quick. That bucket turns into a sea anchor real fast. So you never wrapped the rope around your hands or you were jerked off your feet and pulled over the side. And you never did it while on deck alone. By the time it was discovered you can't be found onboard...the boat could be miles away. And then trying to locate you is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. We had a through hull fitting come apart one time. Where the toilet discharge hose went through the hull and it is under the water line. We did have a high water alarm that woke us up. There was a stream of water shooting into the bathroom. We jammed a funnel into the hole, jammed a broom stick into the funnel and wedged it against the wall. Then we pulled anchor and beached the 58 foot boat on the nearest shore. Luckily we were at anchor in a bay and not half way across bristol bay. It don't take much to sink a boat no matter how big it is.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:27 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Winter fishing is worst than all fishing. They use steam to melt the ice that grows on the ship's rails and floor. The ice can overload the ship if left alone. I don't know how those guys make it even for one fishing season. Deaths at sea from that industry is the highest one I know of.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:24 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,119 times
I really hate it when this happens. I heard it on the news yesterday, but they didn't give any details. All I could think was 'this is where my son fishes' and wait and wonder. At least now I know he wasn't on it, he doesn't go on any kind of processor ship. I don't even know how they'd find me, if he was lost - we don't have the same last name. Maybe his sister, I don't know. But she's as hard to get hold of as it would be for them to find me, someone [cops?] would have to find her in NYC, then she'd have to give them my number. I am so sick of people I know being lost at sea, or being killed in some kind of freak accident, I just can't stand it. Never worried about myself when I was on a boat, but it's way different when it's your kid.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:17 PM

601 posts, read 1,903,823 times
I still remember back in the early 80's over 4th of July weekend we were down ( I believe it was Whiskey Gulch) and our friends had a new boat (they were so proud) all rigged up with hydraulics for Halibut..they asked us if we wanted to go out but I had to head back to town later that day and we said no thanks. They said to meet them back at the beach later and they's have some fish for us. We came back to the beach ...but they never did...
they found 2 of the three floating face down about 1 mile out. never found the 3rd guy or the boat. One was Richard McDowell of Anch and his cousin
(Shaun McDowell?) I don't remember the 3 rd guy it's been so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska