Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:02 PM

44 posts, read 98,242 times

Advertisements

What if I buy a Lance 805 camper for my Titan and live in it? Will I freeze to death? Thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 03:06 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times
I'd rather not do the camping thing. $600 dollars will rent you a room in someone's house with kitchen privledges. Ideally you could find someone who needs a house sitter, but I think most people who winter outside of Juneau have already secured house sitters by this time. You could look at craigslist to get an idea or the Juneau Empire online in the classifieds.

Most of Juneau rolls up the carpet pretty early. Downtown is busy during the summer when the tourons come up, and the locals avoid it during that time. Heritage Coffee Company, Juneau, Alaska

Old 12-18-2008, 03:42 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncseakayaker View Post
What if I buy a Lance 805 camper for my Titan and live in it? Will I freeze to death? Thoughts...
With a heat source, probably not, but I don't think you'll enjoy it. There are a couple of trailer parks with hookups and I think some are there year round. It would have to be similar to living on a boat, which some people do. Here's what's available now:

Classifieds

Click on the apartments or houses for rent. Unfortunately, many are no pets, but there are several that allow them. Your best bet on a house would be if you could find a roommate or two. My son and a friend are looking, but I wouldn't recommend them as roommates. His friend has been kicked out from every friend he's roomed with. My son figures it's his turn to kick him out.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:25 PM

ncseakayaker,

One thing you'll need to prepare for is the ferry ride. Your dog will need a health certificate (may or may not be checked when you board the ferry), that is less than 30 days old and he'll have to stay on the car deck during the trip, either in the cab or camper if you get one. I think you're allowed down on it 3 times each day between Bellingham and Ketchikan. Between Ketchikan and Juneau, you're allowed to take him out at each port (anywhere from 4 to 10 hours). It's survivable, but I don't like Bellingham-Ketchikan leg (I go to Prince Rupert).

You'll want a cabin on the ferry since the Feds will pay for it. Get an outside 2 berth cabin. You might want to make reservations early, as the ferry does fill up. I looked quickly and the earliest sailings available are on 1/16 or 1/26. Earlier sailings are booked for vehicles. Also, the 2 berths are sold out, 4 berths are available.

You'll also want to bring at least snack food on the ferry. The food on the ferry is good, but expensive. I usually bring a small cooler with drinks. They do have an automatic espresso machine on the ferry. You can replenish food supplies in Ketchikan. There is a store within walking distance and the only problem would be an arrival time when the store is closed.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:12 AM

I am thinking about just letting them ship my household goods and truck and leaving my dog with my brother until I can find a solid place. I would really love to drive for the experience but I don't know how well that would work out with ferry schedules and the hostel schedule. I e-mailed the hostel and I am waiting to hear back. Work wants me to report on or around Jan. 18th. If I fly out on the 18th or 19th of January, I should be able to stay in the hostel until I find a place.

I am hoping I can talk my friend who is working a seasonal job in CO to come up and stay with me after that job ends. We backpack, rock climb, ski, kayak, mountain bike, etc. It would be very good to have him around for morale. He is much like your sons friend! I have let him stay with me from time to time and only make him give me grocery money and sometimes a little rent if he can afford it. He has a degree but he doesn't want to get stable job. He is a good friend and cleans up after himself so I like him around.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:25 AM

Flying out to Juneau on January 20th. The biggest obstacle is finding a place to live. I only need a small one bedroom for the first year at least. It is difficult to find a place 4,000 miles away.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:43 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,558 times
Have you contacted any of the extended stay inn's yet?

Old 12-31-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Have you contacted any of the extended stay inn's yet?

My girlfriend was looking at a hotel/apartment place in the valley that charges $29 a night and you must commit to 30 days. It is advertised on Juneauempire.com or craigslist. Anyone know where this is or anything about it? It will at least give me a month to look for a place.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncseakayaker View Post
My girlfriend was looking at a hotel/apartment place in the valley that charges $29 a night and you must commit to 30 days. It is advertised on Juneauempire.com or craigslist. Anyone know where this is or anything about it? It will at least give me a month to look for a place.
30 days equates to $870/mo., but all utilities are included. Did that include tax? There are several small apartment complexes near the airport. If you'd like, I can do a drive-by to look at the place.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
30 days equates to $870/mo., but all utilities are included. Did that include tax? There are several small apartment complexes near the airport. If you'd like, I can do a drive-by to look at the place.
Sure anything helps! I will buy you a cup of coffee when I get there.

I have been talking to a girl in Douglas about renting out a room in a large home. She works for the state and also has a band called slow gun runners. She looks pretty cool. I hope that works out as it is $550 and though I do make good money I like to spend it on other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska