Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:35 PM

44 posts, read 98,214 times

Advertisements

Well...we will see. We have four field offices in Alaska (Juneau, Kenai, Fairbanks, and Anchorage). I don't think there are any openings in Anchorage but I am pretty sure there are in every other office. I met some guys from the Alaska District when I went to training in Florida last month and they put stars in my eyes for Alaska. I am only living my life once (if you can figure out how to do it more than once let me know) and want to explore our world. I have the privilege of working in a job where I can move pretty much anywhere in the US.

I suppose it is easy to point out the negative things when you have lived in a particular area the majority of your life. I live in eastern North Carolina and have for the past 7 years. I have watched people get married, have kids, and then stagnate. I just don't think I can do that (this is probably why my girlfriend broke up with me). My philosophy on life is heavily influenced by the lives of men such as John Muir, Aldo Leopold, and Ralph Waldo Emerson. I can’t think of anything else but getting far away from my current location.

I can understand younger people who have grown up in Juneau wanting to branch out. I am sure the big city life is a very exciting prospect for younger kids that don’t know anything else but Juneau. I on the other hand feel like a rat in a cage trying to escape.

My favorite quote:
- "Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity..." John Muir, 1898
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 02:27 PM

72 posts, read 262,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncseakayaker View Post
I am only living my life once (if you can figure out how to do it more than once let me know) and want to explore our world. I have the privilege of working in a job where I can move pretty much anywhere in the US.
That's exactly right. Very few people have the opportunity or money to work in/from Alaska and explore it. Many keep talking about visiting Alaska someday, and maybe they will, *maybe*, when they retire and don't feel like making that 7-mile hike to the ice caves anymore. What fun is that? Then they'll be just "bused around" from point to point. You have to do this one while you are still young and have the energy and at least an ounce of adventure in you. That, and "I lived in Alaska once" will be a pick-up line for the rest of your life

I would say the fact that young people are leaving should not be a factor or the indicator of quality of life. It happens everywhere, and Juneau does not feel like a dead-end town at all. Maybe the young ones are simply priced out, I don't know.

But, do some research on whether you'd rather be in a larger city like Anchorage. I am here to take a break from big city life, so it's different, and I like the fact that Juneau's violent crime rate is pretty much zero.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,797 times
Hello David,

I live in Rhode Island and just came back from a visit to Juneau.
I stayed at the youth hostel for $10 per nite.
I was able to obtain lots of info from travellers and locals.
A couple of geologists that live in Anchorage and currently
work in Juneau were staying there as well.
I found the locals to be helpful and friendly.
I avoided the tourist shops, they are owned and staffed by the cruise lines.
I found that there is alot to do and if you are looking to live there, give
it a shot.
I saw alot of local activities advertised in the paper.
I say "go for it".
You are young and if you don't like it after awhile, you can re-locate.

All the best to you.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:00 PM

44 posts, read 98,214 times
Getting closer to finishing this thesis and moving. I think I might go crazy if I stay in eastern NC much longer.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 8,614 times
Thumbs up Juneau is AWESOME

The guy who responded about Juneau negatively is not only wrong, but TOTALLY wrong. HE needs to move since he is so dissatisfied with living here.

Juneau has all the qualities of a small town life. It's not metro by any stretch, but there are lots of nature oriented things to do, plenty of boarded and natural walking trails, photography opportunities out the wazoo and wildlife at your front door, literally. There is a fantastic music festival in March (pre-tourists) and many opportunities to work in and for the community if you are community oriented.

I hope you didn't listen to him. Come visit (for a month or two, so that you'll really get a feel for it), bring a camera and an open mind. I moved here from Houston, so I know what it's like to live in a BIG town... I'll take Juneau ANY time over ANY other place in the lowers!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
while it is breathtakingly beautiful...........it can be a bit boring. I'm so surprised that the city shows no promise of progressing. Much needed updating is the bowling alley and movie theaters. More and diverse stores in which to shop. Buying clothes via internet is already getting tiresome 6 months into living here. I spend more $$$ on shipping to get the items and shipping cost to send them back due to not fitting than I care to. But the biggest problem I have is the cost to get an airline tkt. to go anywhere from Juneau. No other airlines to compete for pricing????!! Nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susalaska View Post
The guy who responded about Juneau negatively is not only wrong, but TOTALLY wrong. HE needs to move since he is so dissatisfied with living here.

Juneau has all the qualities of a small town life. It's not metro by any stretch, but there are lots of nature oriented things to do, plenty of boarded and natural walking trails, photography opportunities out the wazoo and wildlife at your front door, literally. There is a fantastic music festival in March (pre-tourists) and many opportunities to work in and for the community if you are community oriented.

I hope you didn't listen to him. Come visit (for a month or two, so that you'll really get a feel for it), bring a camera and an open mind. I moved here from Houston, so I know what it's like to live in a BIG town... I'll take Juneau ANY time over ANY other place in the lowers!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:48 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
while it is breathtakingly beautiful...........it can be a bit boring. I'm so surprised that the city shows no promise of progressing. Much needed updating is the bowling alley and movie theaters. More and diverse stores in which to shop. Buying clothes via internet is already getting tiresome 6 months into living here. I spend more $$$ on shipping to get the items and shipping cost to send them back due to not fitting than I care to. But the biggest problem I have is the cost to get an airline tkt. to go anywhere from Juneau. No other airlines to compete for pricing????!! Nuts.
obviously you haven't adapted to your new home. it's not like the place you moved from. big surprise.
welcome to the land of "milk and honey". just think , winter's coming.
there is always the ferry..........south

Old 09-24-2008, 09:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
Let me see. Just another case of someone moving up and then complaining because it isn't like the -48.

Don't worry. It'll be like that soon enough.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:50 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times
I'm done posting about Juneau and it's realities.....
Attention World....Find out for yourselves......

Old 09-24-2008, 09:57 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
you people stuck in the Alaska mentality crack me up!! Seriously............you need to stop being so defensive because someone has to point out the very obvious to you. You need to lighten up and maybe see more of the world. But mainly you need to let others have and form their own opinions and not force your thoughts and ideas down everyone else's throats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska