Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 08:34 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguadulce27 View Post
My point wasn't what % of the states population voted Republican but more that there are still more people in California voting Republican than all those other states combined.

California gets the label of " every single person there is uber liberal and super far left " when that is just not true.
Tito Ortiz, a former MMA champ, won his city council seat going on "Make Orange County Great Again."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 01:02 PM

936 posts, read 2,069,316 times
no matter where you go, there you are. (Note: I wish more conservatives would flee California, too much traffic here)

Old 12-04-2020, 03:00 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
no matter where you go, there you are. (Note: I wish more conservatives would flee California, too much traffic here)
That should not be a problem for Californians, both liberals and conservatives. Your liberal leaders are driving Californians out. It's either being taxed to death, or moving out of there. In Alaska we have no trouble with liberals or conservatives. The only problem is that liberals run for office, and love taxes. Eventually they will turn Alaska into the mess they have left behind.

Alaskans tend to mind their own business.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:50 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The only problem is that liberals run for office, and love taxes. Eventually they will turn Alaska into the mess they have left behind.

In initial pandemic relief Alaska received 3.3 million per positive COVID case
while New York got 24,000.
We’re number 6 on list for most dependent on federal funds while California is 41.

Old 12-05-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
In initial pandemic relief Alaska received 3.3 million per positive COVID case
while New York got 24,000.
We’re number 6 on list for most dependent on federal funds while California is 41.
Yes. And so all the States where most of the land is owned by the Federal Government.
https://ballotpedia.org/Federal_land_ownership_by_state

Also, Alaska is the strategic tip of the arrow pointing to Russia and the East. Why do you think the military is so big in Alaska?
---------------
That said, I wasn't taking about federal taxes, but to CA state and city taxes imposed on Californians. Perhaps I wasn't clear when saying that their leaders (in reference to CA's leaders) were driving Californians out of the state?

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-05-2020 at 12:45 PM..

Old 12-06-2020, 09:01 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Yes. And so all the States where most of the land is owned by the Federal Government.
https://ballotpedia.org/Federal_land_ownership_by_state

Also, Alaska is the strategic tip of the arrow pointing to Russia and the East. Why do you think the military is so big in Alaska?
---------------
That said, I wasn't taking about federal taxes, but to CA state and city taxes imposed on Californians. Perhaps I wasn't clear when saying that their leaders (in reference to CA's leaders) were driving Californians out of the state?
I think much of the military’s size in Alaska is unnecessary, fwiw.

My point was that when a state receives $3815 federal aid per capita,
as Alaska does, it doesn’t need to levy so much taxes as a place such as
California with $1549 assistance per capita.

Old 12-06-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I think much of the military’s size in Alaska is unnecessary, fwiw.

My point was that when a state receives $3815 federal aid per capita,
as Alaska does, it doesn’t need to levy so much taxes as a place such as
California with $1549 assistance per capita.
Since I don't work for the strategic defense area of the DOD, my opinion about the military size in Alaska means nothing. However, the support for States where most of the land and waters belong to the Federal Government is huge. Also, the military presence in Alaska is a large boost to our economy. But the military presence includes a large number of retired service members and their families. Like it or not, it was the military who opened roads to Alaska.

By the way, are you aware that AK budget includes around $15,000 per each resident? The bottom line: just by being a resident of AK you are sucking milk from the big federal cow. The money generated from the oil industry, mining, fishing, and tourism is not sufficient to maintain the budget.

Also, take a look at the average $ number spent for each student in Alaska, and compare that cost to other states. If you are a resident of AK, you have to realize that a great portion of the money generated for local and state budgets come from the Federal Government.

That said, continuing a discussion about federal taxes has nothing to do with CA State taxes and Californians moving to Alaska. We can have another thread about Federal taxes, instead of derailing this thread.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-06-2020 at 02:54 PM..

Old 12-07-2020, 05:02 AM

827 posts, read 660,659 times
Quote:
That should not be a problem for Californians, both liberals and conservatives. Your liberal leaders are driving Californians out. It's either being taxed to death, or moving out of there. In Alaska we have no trouble with liberals or conservatives. The only problem is that liberals run for office, and love taxes. Eventually they will turn Alaska into the mess they have left behind.

If they want to change their new home into California way don't they stay in California?

Old 12-07-2020, 11:15 AM

1,169 posts, read 751,539 times
SO let me get this straight: liberal Californians are ruining their state, forcing out Californians who presumably don't like this state of affairs, who will be moving to Alaska, and despite them leaving California because they don't like the liberal policies there, they will somehow transform Alaska into another liberal California?

Cognitive dissonance is treatable, man.

If anything, relocating conservative Californians, in my experience, are transforming their new areas in undesirable ways totally unrelated to American liberalism. Sure, they complain about the lack of Trader Joe's stores, and In-N-Out Burger, and drive like hell, but they also get bored and run for planning commissions, and library or local park boards, and replace comity with angry confrontation. Where there were once friendly rural neighbors, there are angry people raising trophy goats and show donkeys and starting petty feuds over property lines and who took whose newspaper out of the driveway. Where ranchers with millions lived and acted modestly, now we have "house rich" Californians parading around flaunting their E series Benz and dropping comments about how these darned county roads should get paved (but god forbid the county raise road taxes or issue a bond, no way, that's shosholism!) Where people didn't used to talk politics much now these people march around with Donald Trump flags and Q Anon signs.

Last edited by alaskaflyer; 12-07-2020 at 11:30 AM..

Old 12-07-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
SO let me get this straight: liberal Californians are ruining their state, forcing out Californians who presumably don't like this state of affairs, who will be moving to Alaska, and despite them leaving California because they don't like the liberal policies there, they will somehow transform Alaska into another liberal California?

Cognitive dissonance is treatable, man.

If anything, relocating conservative Californians, in my experience, are transforming their new areas in undesirable ways totally unrelated to American liberalism. Sure, they complain about the lack of Trader Joe's stores, and In-N-Out Burger, and drive like hell, but they also get bored and run for planning commissions, and library or local park boards, and replace comity with angry confrontation. Where there were once friendly rural neighbors, there are angry people raising trophy goats and show donkeys and starting petty feuds over property lines and who took whose newspaper out of the driveway. Where ranchers with millions lived and acted modestly, now we have "house rich" Californians parading around flaunting their E series Benz and dropping comments about how these darned county roads should get paved (but god forbid the county raise road taxes or issue a bond, no way, that's shosholism!) Where people didn't used to talk politics much now these people march around with Donald Trump flags and Q Anon signs.
Unless you read all the responses to the OP, you won't have any idea about what "Alaskans" are referring to. I am just a poster expressing my opinions, which are as follows (read all my responses to this thread before blabbering) :

a. Alaskans tend to mind their own business, so in general we don't care as long as they keep their business' to themselves.

b. It's not only Californians who move to Alaska, but liberals from all states.

c. There is no problem with liberals, other than most lean toward taxes. Some of these run for office, and change Alaska. The end result is that, while they had left because of the taxes and other rules imposed on them by their leaders, what they now achieve is to turn Alaska into the mess they had left behind.

c. In reference to CA: I responded to a poster who said,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
My response to that post was: That should not be a problem for Californians, both liberals and conservatives. Your liberal leaders are driving Californians out. It's either being taxed to death, or moving out of there. In Alaska we have no trouble with liberals or conservatives. The only problem is that liberals run for office, and love taxes. Eventually they will turn Alaska into the mess they have left behind.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska