Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 02:36 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Wait till you taste what I can do with pomegranite liqueur...

I'm going to make truffles this weekend...instead of vanilla I'm going to use pomegranite liqueur...and I'm thinking the darkest chocolate I can get. They're good with Buttershots too.

The ideas just invent themselves, I guess. I like messing around with tastes and textures.
Your combinations are so divine....you should start a mail order business. Heck, I'd buy from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 02:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Most of my stuff couldn't be sent through the mail though-- I don't burn off the hooch in the truffles I make and my brownies...well, let's just say we refer to them here as our "Happy Meals".

I did try to send some truffles to Sarkar once--non alcoholic kind because he doesn't drink (or so he says but I have seen him under the influence of red wine) but I think my dad ate them or something, because I gave them to him to mail.

You can come by and visit--we can have wild berry cordials and gravlax--can't take credit for that, though; the Prince makes it.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
You are awesome with this post. I have a lot of sincere respect for immigrants who go through all the hurdles and make a living here, raise kids, erc. Some first-generation immigrants I've met are the hardest-working people ever. They, as much as any other American, are getting screwed when benefits that should be reserved for citizens are getting to illegals. And I didn't know that about BOA...holy crap, I need to inform myself on that one. Have a drink...have one for me too! When I get outta here I'm pouring myself a tall Crown and Coke...boring, boring, I know...I like the vodka idea too!
My ex was a legal resident but had yet to earn his citizenship. As a legal resident, you are paying into the SS system but that amount is not going towards your entitlement. That doesn't start until you are an acutal citizen.

As for the immigrant student population, I was torn in the sense that there was a different mentality even between the legals and the illegals. Now I will say that immigrant students, for the most part, worked much harder at academics than their American born counterparts. It's almost like the Americans took things for granted and felt entitled whereas the immigrant kids were thirsting for knowledge. Yet whereas the legal kids had a respect for the law, alot of the illegal kids had this "I got over on the system" attitude and it seemed to bleed over to their approach towards schoolwork, work ethic etc. I really heard some horrific stories from these kids.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:46 PM

40 posts, read 42,766 times
your attempts to derail the thread aren't working....

gimmie your dads address, mine will actually arrive and he'll be wanting more of them

seems I remember you forget to to dip your truffles in chocolate..... whattya call those again ?

Old 05-08-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Most of my stuff couldn't be sent through the mail though-- I don't burn off the hooch in the truffles I make and my brownies...well, let's just say we refer to them here as our "Happy Meals".

I did try to send some truffles to Sarkar once--non alcoholic kind because he doesn't drink (or so he says but I have seen him under the influence of red wine) but I think my dad ate them or something, because I gave them to him to mail.

You can come by and visit--we can have wild berry cordials and gravlax--can't take credit for that, though; the Prince makes it.
I'm all about the cordials, Met. They make up most of my liquor stock.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
seems I remember you forget to to dip your truffles in chocolate..... whattya call those again ?
The proper way to prepare them is NOT to dip them in chocolate but to roll them in cocoa powder or confectioners sugar. On my butterscotch ones, though, I use dried butterscotch pudding mix.

I suppose I could give you my father's address but I am not in the habit of giving out personal information to people who have me on e-mail block....besides, he's a diabetic.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:02 PM

40 posts, read 42,766 times
do I still have you on BLOCKED...?

thats what happens when you're ornery, as you well know. How many times does this make... ?

Old 05-08-2008, 03:19 PM

Who knows; math isn't really my thing. Probably around 379 times by now.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:05 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
Yeah, I totally agree with ya, Sarkar...back where I moved to AK from, the proof is in the pudding. The state welfare system is overwhelmed and can no longer support anyone who is trying to make ANY money...folks of Hispanic origin with no jobs have pretty well have it made, because there's such a huge number of them.

These aren't paranoid fantasies; our frustration in this area stems from fact and personal observation.
In reality race has nothing to do with being in Welfare or not. However, illegal immigrants can place a burden on the State. If you take a look at the last names of quite a lot of old Alaskans in some villages, you will realize that some of those names are of Latin American and Mexican origins.

But regardless of what conditions exist at the moment, such have been made possible to illegal immigrants (or not) by US citizens, not by the illegal immigrants. If anybody is to be blamed, it should be ourselves, since the illegals are just taking what is being handed down to them.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:53 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Los Mejicanos son muy bueno conmigo; pero es un tonto como tu, que no entiendes ni jota, son malo!
Creo que tu dices la verdad, bravo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska