Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 02:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I didn't know that. Had to look it up- sure enough. Looks like a fairly new law, as of 2018.

That's OK by me, along with their other restrictions.
I'm not sure that it's new. I remember someone who worked for us in the 2000s having to take the ferry all the way down to Bellingham because he couldn't take his car to Prince Rupert and then drive the rest of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 06:22 PM

1,810 posts, read 899,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm not sure that it's new. I remember someone who worked for us in the 2000s having to take the ferry all the way down to Bellingham because he couldn't take his car to Prince Rupert and then drive the rest of the way.
I’ve seen people try to get off at Prince Rupert and get denied entry and get put right back on the ferry. The things you see and hear when your the last vehicle getting off of the ferry are eye opening. Like the group of teenagers in the old Ford Crown Victoria that had a 10” rock imbedded
in their windshield and only $50 between the four of them. Said they were going to Prince George for a week. They also got sent back to Ketchikan.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:37 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
I didn't know that. Had to look it up- sure enough. Looks like a fairly new law, as of 2018.

That's OK by me, along with their other restrictions.
Well, if it's okay by YOU... I guess that's that, huh?

Old 08-31-2022, 09:15 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, if it's okay by YOU... I guess that's that, huh?
That's right. My motto is: Hurray for me and nuts to you!

I wish the US had stricter laws on the items mentioned, similar to Canada's. I also understand how some people might not appreciate Canada's strict laws. Avoiding travel into that country simply on principle would be a bit extreme though. OTOH, if you've got a DUI then it becomes more than a matter of principle.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:13 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's not a new law. DUI's are considered a more serious offence on your first conviction in Canada.
Yeah, it was already in force the first time I drove the Aclan between Alaska and the lower 48, which was well over ten years ago. Might have been revised in 2018 but it's a longstanding rule.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:57 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Yeah, it was already in force the first time I drove the Aclan between Alaska and the lower 48, which was well over ten years ago. Might have been revised in 2018 but it's a longstanding rule.
So how did you happen to come across this knowledge? A discussion of DUI has never come up when I've crossed the border, several times.

Old 08-31-2022, 02:14 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
So how did you happen to come across this knowledge? A discussion of DUI has never come up when I've crossed the border, several times.
When I was planning the drive and mentioned that my dad was going with me, everyone warned me to make sure he didn't have any DUIs. (Poor Dad, he got a bit stereotyped there. He's not the DUI type.) So I googled to find the actual regulations.

Last edited by Frostnip; 08-31-2022 at 02:36 PM..

Old 09-01-2022, 06:52 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Quote:
My boss was delivering a boat to a customer in Canada 15 years ago. He got turned around at the border because of his DUI. They check on your licenses right there at the crossing.

Old 09-01-2022, 08:53 AM

17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's not a new law. DUI's are considered a more serious offence on your first conviction in Canada.

In 2018 the law changed to add stricter penalties and time related rehabilitation rules, which may affect a foreigner from entering Canada differently than before.

In Canada the level of offences are indictable, hybrid and summary. We do not have misdemeanours or felonies.

DUI laws in Canada have been federal since 1921. DUI's are indictable offences even on your first offence. Indictable offences are similar to your felonies.

In the US first offences DUI's are usually misdemeanours.

So anyone with an indictable ( felony ) offence on their record, is going to have a more difficult time entering Canada.

If you do have a DUI, it's not impossible to enter Canada, just read up on what needs to be done, and hope the border agent agrees.
The crazy part is they will deny entry even if you fly in and have no intentions of driving a car while your there!

Old 09-01-2022, 09:49 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
The crazy part is they will deny entry even if you fly in and have no intentions of driving a car while your there!
That's not crazy. Nobody has any way of knowing what another person's real intentions are and the border agents aren't mind readers. Rules are rules, they're set up for good reasons and there is no wiggle room when it comes to people's past criminal convictions. The CBSA personnel have to go by the rules in accordance with a person's criminal record regardless of what kinds of stories and excuses or lies that person might tell them.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska