Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:35 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,403 times

Advertisements

I am a 30 y/o gay guy from California. I have made a lot of money and am thinking of taking a year or two off from work to just get away from big city life and the pressures associated with my work. I am considering renting a place in Alaska for six months to a year, ideally getting in a lot of alone/writing time. I am wondering what the gay scene is like in Alaska and where the best place to stay may be. I am not really into the gay scene as most people see it (not hugely into fashion, drinking and/or partying), but getting some dates here and there, and making some new friends would be ideal.

I am pretty sure I am going to rent a place in Barrow for three months, probably June, July and August (the whole midnight sun thing). I think I'm safe in assuming there are no gay people up there...but I would love any info on Barrow anyone can provide. It just seems like a fascinating place.

Lastly, I know Alaska is fairly conservative. I don't scream "gay", but most people would most likely be able to tell just by the way I talk (the voice gives it away). I am really into camping, sports (skiing), hiking, and those type of things. Do I have any reason to be concerned for my safety any where in Alaska, especially the bush?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited by beone; 01-10-2007 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 05:20 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,565,235 times
Beone, read up on Eskimo culture as Barrow in primarily Eskimos. There is no homosexuality there. I mean, like it is unheard of. Truth!
Believe it or not, I dated an Eskimo guy for awhile in Chicago who was FROM Barrow, which is the only reason I know this. After we broke up, I did some reading up on the culture out of curiosity....maybe if I had done the reading before, we might still be together...ha! I always get things bass ackwards!
Make sure YOU will be a happy camper there before you go...just a thought.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:28 PM

So I take it you are a gay male yourself? Interesting - I guess if one did discover they were gay, they would need to leave Barrow to lead a life. I don't care about Barrow not having any gay people. The whole point of this potential sabbatical is to have a good amount of time to myself (in terms of no dating, relaxing a lot, learning, etc), although I would very much like to meet locals. So, that is what the three months there will be all about.

The one thing that concerns me about Barrow is my safety. I mean, maybe I am being ridiculous here, but you never know. For example, it's a possibility I could go into a business, speak and have it known all over town that I am gay. I am originally from small town Wisconsin, so I know that in a town the size of Barrow everyone knows your business and every one knows who is and who is not from town. Bashings have happened recently in the Castro District of San Francisco (close to where I live), so if it can happen a few blocks from "the gayest four corners in the world" (the intersection of 18th St. & Castro St.) it can happen any where. Safety is a concern for me in bush Alaska.

I am excited about the possibility of going. I am just in the early planning stages and just may head to Barrow and not any other parts of Alaska (although I would like to). I'm not sure yet - there are a lot of possibilities and I want to spend a big chunk of time in Europe. But my desire to go to Alaska has stemmed from some bizarre fascination I've recently developed for Barrow.

Thanks.

Last edited by beone; 01-10-2007 at 05:36 PM..

Old 01-10-2007, 06:00 PM

Wink I am a straight woman last I looked...

Okay, no, I am not gay but a straight woman in my 60's who is seeking to settle somewhere, find a nice guy and make his life a living hell for the next 20 years...haha! Joking...except for the part about finding a partner.
I would NEVER worry about being bashed by Eskimos as they are a most peaceful society. Really, please start reading up on Eskimo culture as you will be surprised at how loving and peaceful and sharing they are (remember, they share their wives in the igloos according to folklore). They really are a very beautiful culture.
If you were my son or brother, I would say go, personally.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:44 PM

63 posts, read 278,736 times
I am in Anchorage right now looking and finalizing a job. I have meet several gay men and a lesbian couple. They all live here and seem very happy. Didn't have any complaints about the city when we were talking. My husband and I have found that the people here are very kind. Of coarse I have only been here a week to. I had some questions because my best friend and her girlfriend wanted to come up, and I want them to be up here. Been friends with her since grade school, and if my husband and I ever have kids we want her and her partner to be the godparents if anything were to happen I want them to be close by.

Cynthia

Old 01-11-2007, 07:18 AM

Default egone is talking about Barrow...

big difference between the mentality of Anchorage--with it's influx of the lower 48 coming up to Alaska--and the native only Barrow, which is made up almost totally of Eskimo.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:20 AM

Default Beone is talking about Barrow...

big difference between the mentality of Anchorage--with it's influx of the lower 48 coming up to Alaska--and the native only Barrow, which is made up almost totally of Eskimo.
Anchorage is much more cosmopolitan than Barrow.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:20 PM

I am not concerned about the natives. I am more concerned about non-natives. Not concerned - that's a poor choice of words, but I want to make sure I am not at risk. Anyone who hears me talk would likely pick up on the fact that I am gay, even though they may not by my physical appearance....well I am good looking and have nice hair, and wear nice clothes...and I'm rambling.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:32 PM

Default You are hysterical!

I know you didn't mean that to be funny, but you are hysterical!
Beone, I am not sure how many non-Eskimos there are in Barrow.
If you don't start doing your homework, I may have to beat you up myself...do it!!!! And that is an order....haha!

Old 01-11-2007, 05:03 PM

26 posts, read 162,904 times
LOL tootsiewootsie... a woman with a stern hand and a sense of humour! if ever i were to become straight and date a woman... she'd have to be like you!

i'm just being nosey... no input at all... good luck beone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska