Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:51 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,999,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
We don't live in an area with alot of houses but my understanding was that GCI is available in outlying areas of Wasilla and Palmer too.
Believe me, I looked into it. MTA is the only game in town in my neighborhood and they suck horribly. Their speed blows, the price is incredibly steep and they have an idiotic bandwidth limitation. They are at least 20 years behind the times and I've been complaining each time I have to deal with them.

MTA needs more widespread competition here in the Valley. If ANYBODY comes in and offers service, even if I have to pay more, I will drop MTA in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Classic Satch; 07-24-2008 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:02 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
I had MTA when I was up around Talkeetna, but all that was available in my specific area was dial up. That was kind of tough coming from a place where I had broadband. Still, the dial up connection I had was good enough for what I needed it for. Part of living up there is that you don't have all the lower 48 services.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:45 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Believe me, I looked into it. MTA is the only game in town in my neighborhood and they suck horribly. Their speed blows, the price is incredibly steep and they have an idiotic bandwidth limitation. They are at least 20 years behind the times and I've been complaining each time I have to deal with them.

MTA needs more widespread competition here in the Valley. If ANYBODY comes in and offers service, even if I have to pay more, I will drop MTA in a heartbeat.
That sort of rant does not make a lot of sense.

MTA appears to be the only provider who cares enough about locals folks to even provide you with service. The rest of them thumbed their nose at you and won't even bother.

You complain about speed, bandwidth and price as if you somehow expect to have the same service available in Silicon Valley. But speed and bandwith are the cause of high prices, and clearly you are lucky to have any service in the area where you live.

Proclaiming the merits of companies that won't even supply you with any bandwidth over the one that at least does what they can (and we might add they appear to provide more speed/bandwidth at a lower cost than many if not most Alaskans are able to obtain), isn't smart.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 PM

655 posts, read 916,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
I'm sorry Rance, I was referring to Travelmate's posts
Care to point out what part of my post was "trolling?" Let me know, so as I might serve you better in the future. Perhaps you should notify the 231 other city data posters who have rated my posts as + that I am merely a troll? Funny how my ranking is up there with among the very highest rating percetage, per post on the forum? I must be real good to have fooled all those folks all this time.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:22 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,999,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post

MTA appears to be the only provider who cares enough about locals folks to even provide you with service. The rest of them thumbed their nose at you and won't even bother.

You complain about speed, bandwidth and price as if you somehow expect to have the same service available in Silicon Valley. But speed and bandwith are the cause of high prices, and clearly you are lucky to have any service in the area where you live.

Proclaiming the merits of companies that won't even supply you with any bandwidth over the one that at least does what they can (and we might add they appear to provide more speed/bandwidth at a lower cost than many if not most Alaskans are able to obtain), isn't smart.
GCI does supply a good bit of Wasilla but not where I live, probably because of the large property tracts.

However, this is one subject that I"m intimately familiar with having worked in the sales/marketing department at Comcast in San Jose.

DSL technology is old news. As long as the phone lines are of decent quality and there is a switching station within 16-18000 feet or so, DSL is easy to provide.

Apparently you aren't very familiar with broadband pricing. GCI in Anchorage, Borealis Broadband, and ACS all offer far higher speeds for less cost with realistic or no download limitations.

For MTA to charge $65 for lousy 768k service with a 10GB bandwidth cap is completely and totally ludicrous. In the vast majority of other areas in the nation(yes, I know we're in Alaska but Wasilla is highly developed and growing even more), 768k is the BASE level of service with no download limits and usually goes for $19.99/month.

MTA sucks....badly. 10GB completely and totally limits a person's usage of the Internet. It is so laughable that I still have trouble believing that they're actually imposing it. The problem is the lack of competition here. I am not the only person around here who is disgusted with MTA. As soon as a competitor comes in that actually offers decent service, folks will be leaving MTA in droves, with myself leading the way.

I forgot to add that MTA was providing me with 8Mb/s service for $45/month when I was bundling their TV service with it. However, because I decided to go with DirecTV instead, they forced me to pay $25 more for service that is 10x slower. Maybe that will shed more light on why I'm so angry.

Last edited by Classic Satch; 07-24-2008 at 10:36 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 10:44 PM

Oh please.

Quote:
Care to point out what part of my post was "trolling?"
You've ranted ad nauseum all over this board about your dissatisfaction with Alaska. And recently you jumped the gun in the Anchorage forum when someone merely had a simple question about vehicle registration and made unsound allusions concerning that person's intent. You've made post after post about how glad you are to be gone but yet you continue to haunt this form like a bag lady in a bus station.

Almost every post you've made here is a "troll" post.

You've moved out of AK so what on earth is your point in continuing your rantings here? Not everyone shares your view of it. Get back to your freakin' golf game and leave this beautiful state to those who have the guts to love it. Bye now.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post

MTA utlized a now debunk company called Paradyne Networks for their DSL equipment. This compnay was based out of Florida and went under about 7 years ago. I was actually a major shareholder in PDYN and warned MTA not go with them. They did anyhow. Why? Because it saved them a few bucks.

The entire world is being fed more and more options from the web each and every day. From streaming movies, to inter connective gaming, to shopping and so on. The sky is the limit. Yet with MTA, the usuage and restrictions grow tighter each and every day. they charge some of the highest rates in the entire USA and offer some of the lowest bandwidth and reliability in the entire industry. They are an old school porrly run outfit about to go out like the old dinasor they are. They had their chances to adapt and chose not to. Now they will pay.

Just my opinion

Old 07-25-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh please.

You've ranted ad nauseum all over this board about your dissatisfaction with Alaska. And recently you jumped the gun in the Anchorage forum when someone merely had a simple question about vehicle registration and made unsound allusions concerning that person's intent. You've made post after post about how glad you are to be gone but yet you continue to haunt this form like a bag lady in a bus station.

Almost every post you've made here is a "troll" post.

You've moved out of AK so what on earth is your point in continuing your rantings here? Not everyone shares your view of it. Get back to your freakin' golf game and leave this beautiful state to those who have the guts to love it. Bye now.

This does not even warrant a response, but Ill do so anyhow. You, like the other person are generalizing. I challenge you again, point out my "trolling." If the criteria for posting under the Alaska forum is for those only actually here, then that would exclude about 90% of those who post here. And by the way, I can locate at least 25 other threads bittching about the weather. Everywhere you go, from the grocery store, to the beauty salon, people are gripping about it. I happen to find that commical. Sorry if it offends you so much.

Lots of people poke fun about the weather. It has kind of been done since the beggining of time. When I lived in Seattle a good buddy of mine who lived in California would tease each other about it all the time. It was all in good fun, but I guess you too burried in the bottom of your bottle there (the only thing you seem to bring to this forum booze talk) to realize that. Bottoms up.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:25 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
So how bout that gas bill! I may have plenty of work converting old oil wells to gas. As fast as I spend money...local business' should be happy!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
You, like the other person are generalizing. I challenge you again, point out my "trolling."
Easy enough, here's one example of your bs.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ancho...alaskan-2.html

Most of your posts are just worthless crap, but this one was nasty even for you. You should try reading what you're responding to because otherwise you're just embarrassing yourself with this junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska