Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:24 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,999,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
yup, wheels up spinning in the wind. And kicking the rear window out to get out, hopefully after wearing his seat belt he is OK.
And then we'll hear the story here, raising hell about what happened and getting a ticket on the spot for "Failure to maintain control".... LMAO
So, where are we laying the bets? I am going to need a high-def TV for the bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 08:31 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,190 times
yup Rance, typical lower 48 invasion, happens every year about this time. I too miss simpler times.
The good news it gets thinned out by the next spring.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
yup Rance, typical lower 48 invasion, happens every year about this time. I too miss simpler times.
The good news it gets thinned out by the next spring.
Not me bro. I've got a beautiful new house, the wife and I have great jobs, and we're here for the duration. You have to understand, I'm an Internet junkie. I play a lot of games and the wife and I make great use of the 'Net to buy things, send pics and videos of our munchkin to family in the lower 48, etc...etc..etc...

Old 07-25-2008, 09:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Well Satch, just suck it up and pay the price. WTF, they charge almost twice as much for blueberry stoli's up there than they do here. Stuff is expensive but it sounds like you use the internet a lot and it means a great deal to you so you're getting your money's worth.

Don't you know how to hack into it anyway? Hell that's what I do here.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well Satch, just suck it up and pay the price. WTF, they charge almost twice as much for blueberry stoli's up there than they do here. Stuff is expensive but it sounds like you use the internet a lot and it means a great deal to you so you're getting your money's worth.

Don't you know how to hack into it anyway? Hell that's what I do here.
Nothing I can do will increase my speed unfortunately. I guess I'll just have to wait until something better comes along and jump ship.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:10 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Dear God. $60 for 128k? That's nuts.
It's not nuts, Cheechako, it's just life in Alaska.

That's a deal we were all happy to see show up! Before that I was paying essentially the same price (including a second telephone line) for a dialup connection that originally wouldn't connect at better than 32k.

Quote:
And I could live through winter anywhere.
Sure! But even now you don't live where it ever gets cold... Ever start a car and drive off when it's -60F? It isn't really that hard to do, but the real trick is getting back home... :-)

Quote:
Cold weather just simply doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's simply a matter of layering up with enough proper clothing and playing it smart when traveling. For the most part......
Come to Barrow in January. Or better yet, since you're a pretty tough guy, drive up to Fairbanks for a week or so... :-)

Old 07-25-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
It's not nuts, Cheechako, it's just life in Alaska.

That's a deal we were all happy to see show up! Before that I was paying essentially the same price (including a second telephone line) for a dialup connection that originally wouldn't connect at better than 32k.

Sure! But even now you don't live where it ever gets cold... Ever start a car and drive off when it's -60F? It isn't really that hard to do, but the real trick is getting back home... :-)

Come to Barrow in January. Or better yet, since you're a pretty tough guy, drive up to Fairbanks for a week or so... :-)
Nah, no reason to do that. Valley temps will be good enough for me.

However, my neighbors tell me that where we live is a veritable wind tunnel, even worse than other areas of Wasilla. I'm not concerned for me, it's her that I worry about:

Old 07-25-2008, 10:35 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
What a cutie (the baby)!!!! and the bunny and the dog...Where we lived in Wyoming, all I could get is dialup. Not even satellite, even though we had DirecTV. I would get so fed up because needed it for work, nothing like using a 10 minute dictation (at least an hours worth of work then) and have to start over when got knocked off. We won't go there. When we went back to MN, I stayed with dialup because to cheap to get cable or DSL. When my kids finally convinced me to, could not believe the difference. Now in Alaska, I made sure we were living someplace this worked, that was one of my few stipulations as to where we lived, other than not in town.

When it starts getting into "winter" (maybe next week), stock up early, watch the weather and do what needs to be done in town, and then if weather is too ugly at the time - stay home. Sure you know, but make sure you have an emergency kit in the vehicle, extra clothes, blankets, snacks, never been sure what to do with water when that cold, but usually had a bottle that was frozen in the car and my lighter. Guess I could have put a candle in the pack - answered my own question. The biggest thing is think ahead and be prepared, especially with that little cutie.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
What a cutie (the baby)!!!! and the bunny and the dog...Where we lived in Wyoming, all I could get is dialup. Not even satellite, even though we had DirecTV. I would get so fed up because needed it for work, nothing like using a 10 minute dictation (at least an hours worth of work then) and have to start over when got knocked off. We won't go there. When we went back to MN, I stayed with dialup because to cheap to get cable or DSL. When my kids finally convinced me to, could not believe the difference. Now in Alaska, I made sure we were living someplace this worked, that was one of my few stipulations as to where we lived, other than not in town.

When it starts getting into "winter" (maybe next week), stock up early, watch the weather and do what needs to be done in town, and then if weather is too ugly at the time - stay home. Sure you know, but make sure you have an emergency kit in the vehicle, extra clothes, blankets, snacks, never been sure what to do with water when that cold, but usually had a bottle that was frozen in the car and my lighter. Guess I could have put a candle in the pack - answered my own question. The biggest thing is think ahead and be prepared, especially with that little cutie.
Thanks for the kind words.

I know what you mean. One of my non-negotiable items was that any house we bought had to have DSL/cable. Satellite stinks due to the long latency and I'd guess that it's even more unreliable up here. I have a good friend who has been in Alaskan law enforcement all his life and he's given me all the scoop on what's necessary to survive.

[Shudders] Dial-up. Those words send shivers down my spine.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:01 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Might be a great place for a wind generator! You could sell power!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska