Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:07 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,999,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And so is $5.05 gas, and $5.50 heating oil, but I'm not screaming about it.
And in all honesty, if internet bandwith is your biggest problem right now, I envy you.
I can definitly tell you're from Calif.
Holy mackerel! It got as high as $4.51 here, not $5.05. And I'm very glad that we're using natural gas. I feel bad for folks relying on heating oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Hmmm, puts money down on Satcher in the ditch on the first snow.
Hell no. I grew up driving in that stuff and have been on the road for 23 years without ever being in an accident. Plus, I have a youngster now and drive even slower and more carefully than I would have before. Sheesh, PA gets darn crappy winter weather, it just doesn't last as long as it does here. I'm well aware that my two four-wheel drive vehicles are just as useless as any other vehicle on ice or when you're going too fast for conditions.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:14 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Holy mackerel! It got as high as $4.51 here, not $5.05. And I'm very glad that we're using natural gas. I feel bad for folks relying on heating oil.

You learn to roll with things, and go with the flow. And adjust your expectations. Not lower your standards, just adjust.
And yea, heating oil is our biggest concern. Gas is a pain in the butt, but heating oil is life in the winter.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:14 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
$65/month for 768k with a 10GB bandwidth limit is garbage.
Sounds like a good deal to me, but welcome to Alaska, Cheechako.

In Barrow the local phone company (ASTAC) also offers DSL. $59.95/month for 128k. The cable company (GCI) offers broadband modem access too, and charges $75/month for 512k.

Is there some reason your service should be provided at less than what it costs? That would just raise the rates for the rest of us, and I just can't see us paying for your service...

Quote:
Also, I spent most of my life in PA where it's either 95 and humid or cold as hell. Winter won't bother me in the slightest bit.
Visit us north of the Alaska Range, in January. We'll all love to hear your rant on that too... if you live through it.

Quote:
And Floyd, it seems like you have maken it a point to argue with me at every opportunity. Oh well, that's your right.
Take your pick: stop posting illogical rants that sound like you just got off the boat, or don't complain when I and others set you straight.

Quote:
MTA still sucks though and no amount of pontificating on your part will change that fact.
MTA might suck, but your comments have been way out of line.

If you want the same prices you paid in PA, move back to PA.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:17 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Kicks Floyd...

Old 07-25-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Sounds like a good deal to me, but welcome to Alaska, Cheechako.

In Barrow the local phone company (ASTAC) also offers DSL. $59.95/month for 128k. The cable company (GCI) offers broadband modem access too, and charges $75/month for 512k.

Is there some reason your service should be provided at less than what it costs? That would just raise the rates for the rest of us, and I just can't see us paying for your service...

Visit us north of the Alaska Range, in January. We'll all love to hear your rant on that too... if you live through it.

Take your pick: stop posting illogical rants that sound like you just got off the boat, or don't complain when I and others set you straight.

MTA might suck, but your comments have been way out of line.

If you want the same prices you paid in PA, move back to PA.
Dear God. $60 for 128k? That's nuts. And I could live through winter anywhere. Cold weather just simply doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's simply a matter of layering up with enough proper clothing and playing it smart when traveling. For the most part......

Old 07-25-2008, 08:21 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Kicks Satcher again just for fun.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:22 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,190 times
Quote:
Hmmm, puts money down on Satcher in the ditch on the first snow.
yup, wheels up spinning in the wind. And kicking the rear window out to get out, hopefully after wearing his seat belt he is OK.
And then we'll hear the story here, raising hell about what happened and getting a ticket on the spot for "Failure to maintain control".... LMAO

Old 07-25-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Kicks Satcher again just for fun.
Working the lower-body muscles on Fridays I see.....

Old 07-25-2008, 08:23 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Life here is what it is. You live with whats available and make the best of it. I remember when there was no internet period. I remember when we were lucky to get 3 channels for tv out of Anchorage. Sometimes I long for those days gone by. When all we had was snail mail, woodstoves, and an all day trip over gravel roads to get to Anchorage. You never heard people complaining about anything back then. The modern world has made it's way here and now people are in a dang rush to go anywhere, complain about everything, and are gratefull for nothing. Sigh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska