Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:18 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times

Advertisements

I used to have 200 jars of mustard in my pantry. Now I have a lot of everything, just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 10:22 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I used to have 200 jars of mustard in my pantry. Now I have a lot of everything, just in case.
Are you serious?? My best friend has only condiments...seriously, if I ever stay there, I will not get fed. There is no food in his house, only condiments.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:24 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I've got to have tea in the morning...not too much of a coffee drinker, except once in awhile. And I get nervous if I don't have adequate reading material in the house, so lately I've been poaching from my grandmother's old library at my father's place. I usually try to have berries and salmon.
There are a lot of books on line, full text, for free. I vacillate between coffee and tea, don't much care where the caffeine comes from as long as I get it. One thing I do have a stockpile of is those 'healthy' herbal teas. People seem to think that if I drink tea [preferably Earl Grey or Morning Thunder] I'll drink that stuff, too, and they give it to me. I'm too much of a wuss to throw it out, since I know how spendy some of it is.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Are you serious?? My best friend has only condiments...seriously, if I ever stay there, I will not get fed. There is no food in his house, only condiments.
Back in the day, I used to have two reefers - one for food, the other for beer and condiments. One was 18 cu ft, the other 22, so they weren't small.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:33 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Can't give you any more rep just yet, sweetie pie.

I hack into Qwest's wi fi when I'm home because I suffered through their...services for a few years when we had the house in Salem and I therefor refuse to pay them a red penny, so my connection isn't always good enough to download e-books. And I like the feel of paper in my hands when I'm lying in bed. And I get all the culinary magazines gratis for whatever reason; hell they just started sending them to me as some sort of "courtesy", I don't know. Pretty good reading though.

The only real tea is made from camilla sinensis I love strong black tea. Some of the herbal stuff can be good at certain times though.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
YES YES YES, reading material!!! Must have at all times as well. It could be mags like US & People (no making fun) or books, usually chicklit. But yes, I read constantly, even when the TV is on....that seems kind of pointless to read & have the TV on, doesn't it?
Chicklit is good. Everyone needs happy endings, or HEAs, as they say, even if they are imaginary. That stuff got me through a very bad year. Not pointless, just proves you are a multi-tasker.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:40 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Gathering for winter out here is a all summer thing. Put up salmon in May/June. Berries in July/August and in parts of September. Usually a moose hunt in the fall, but this year gas is so expensive out here, no one in the family or inlaws went out. I guess we'll be buying more tbones and ribeyes this year. I think I'll call Prime Beef and make an order since dividends are coming this weekend. Might even buy a DSLR of some kind.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:35 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,486,409 times
Default sockeye, blueberries, and assault rifles

Personally I'm feeling the need to stock up on smoked sockeye, frozen blueberries, and assault rifles. The first two just because "them's good eatin", the latter in case YoBama wins.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:26 AM

127 posts, read 346,613 times
If you are feeling the need, do it -- there might be something on the horizon. I started stocking up a little over a year ago. I called it my "armageddon stash". Oh sure, there were people that poked a littel fun at me, but it sure came in handy. Last winter, within a couple of months of each other, I lost my job (it was eliminated -- such a nice term) and my husband hurt his back. He's still off work awaiting a spinal fusion and I'm still looking for work. Although I haven't seen armageddon, I sure have used the food I had stored. You just never know when you might need it.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:15 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
The mustard collection was at its peak in PA. My wife was not amused & gave away most of the treasured & carefully hoarded mustard. As economic times grow worse down here & there is an ever present threat of natural & other disasters, I think its prudent to keep a reserve on hand for either personal consumption or barter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska