Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 08:59 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times

Advertisements

If he wants a real challenge he should do the Chilkoot Trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 09:02 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
It's only 30 or so miles, and the steepest portion is about 30 degrees, and I guess that's too easy. Of course he could trek up the 2000 pounds the RCMP made everyone carry, and then build a flatboat to get it down the Yukon. Hmmm.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:11 PM

835 posts, read 2,855,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
First, -40 to -80 is not something to laugh at. Metal can shatter like glass in the right conditions. Nylon does strange things at that temp. My survival sleeping bag is only rated at -60. I went cheap, because I do know a few things about survival in extremes. (8 years in Naval Special Warfare, by the way). Melting water for your use is going to cost you about 3-4 hours a day, by the way. Fuel for your stove (figure for 6 weeks since you plan on hiking in, up and back don't you know), food for the same amount of time. Rope (expensive stuff, not el cheapo from Home Depot), carabiners (about 200 for a start, since you plan on climbing alone), pitons (lots and lots), ice axe (take 2 spares, since your hands will be cold and one could drop, and the other spare will need work on your off time), tent, cooking gear, oxygen for about 6 days minimum (altitude sickness is bad). Most folks acclimatize themselves at 2 levels for 2-3 days before attempting the next leg, but going alone, you can't pool your gear, and have a couple of someones carry the cooking gear, tent, axes, pitons and stuff. This is just off the top of my head sitting here on the couch. I am off by an order of magnitude on some things, and the time frame I envision is about 5 days of serious hiking to get to one of the lower base camps. Remember, 5 days in equals 5 days out. If you tell me you can go faster, you need to really look at the maps. 6 linear miles a day on an ordinary map can translate into 20 miles rather quickly. You know, hiking around the ravine, river, what have you, in front of you to find an easier, safer route.

Don't follow the trails as they are usually made by animals that expect to use them. Can't use the road as NPS still has year-round rangers to prevent this kind of thing from happening. Usually, they're trying to prevent idiots from hurting themselves or the local wildlife - but not you. You know better.

You'll need 3 changes of clothing, and 6 pairs of socks minimum. 2 pairs of hiking boots and 2 pairs of climbing boots. You have to let todays boots dry out tomorrow and so on. Each set of clothing is at least 4 layers. 3 for legs I guess. Inner should be thermal, next light cotton (to wick sweat), next sweats and an arctic rated jacket, waterproof - same with leggings. One set of those, unless you happen to take a tumble in the rare stream - doesn't happen to me more than once every fishing trip, but God knows I'm clumsy, and you're a young buck in the prime of life. Don't get caught with a gun in the park, so carry lots of bear spray. Wolves NEVER bother single guys out for a walk, so don't worry about them. (Are you not catching my sarcasm here - if not, yes, wolves can take down a grown man). Look hoss, I've got kids older than you, if you notes on this forum are correct. I spent my life in strange places and found myself happy to come out in one piece. I counted on the kindness of strangers, and leaned on my buddies for all I was worth. In SpecWar, EVERY op had a nine hour prep plan, each major step delineated to the [i]nth[i] degree. We had to tell our operations boss 3 things in every major step that could go wrong amd come up with 3 different solutions for each hypothetical problem. And I had the fleet backing me up.

You're planning on going alone. In military parlance, you need a buddy, a wingman.

You're planning on going into one of the last true wilderness with a minimum of training. You train for every possible problem. Throw yourself into a (shallow) stream. See how hard it is too start a fire when your hands don't want to hold a thing. Hell, just hold your hands in a glacier fed stream in spring and try to light a fire. Look hoss, this place is a killer for a lone man.

You're planning on bypassing every possible safety precaution - informing NPS, getting a knowledgeable guide. This isn't walking a tightrope without a net, this is throwing yourself into a black abyss and hoping for the best possible outcome.

I know the feeling of a crowded world with no new explorations and discoverys to enjoy. The feeling of being born too late. But attempting this is delusional. I can't think of a fresh way to say this without sounding insulting and I don't want to insult you.
well it only took 102 replies but this one is the first to make any sense! you sound like a pro man, i am not one for climibing vertical walls would it be longer to hike i am guessing? i think i may need a little more money just to make sure supplies are where i am comfortable.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:13 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
If you really want to do, whether here or there in similar climates, if you can find, you practice, that is why I saw Devil's Tower since you are taking the long way to here, you practice with permit's and requirements, but you still need equipment, which you don't get....that is a small incline compared to what you are talking about. Come up, work, explore, research, learn then think about what you are talking about, not negativity, but "common sense" and no school is going to teach you that one...that is what everyone is saying. You have no idea how big this one is, no pics, no books, no nothing can decscribe, because out of the realm of comprehension....supposedly healthy people died up there for medical reasons this year, and as far as I know, the remains have not been retrieved yet, because the conditions were not right, what does that say, "summer" and conditions not right - you need to do the homework and keep yer hormones (testosterone) in check or ego or whatever, and use "common sense" which is not coming through....and this is way to flockin long on 4 hours of sleep, so consider yourself blessed by a tired gramma ( we know you aren't) tough little stup - but figure it out and listen to what you are told, otherwise you have had you moment of "fame" on the Alaska board....

Old 09-21-2008, 09:14 PM

and yes i was born late, i saw jeremiah johnson when i was 11 and ever since being in the american west is all i shoot for, the sad truth is when i arrived in colorado it was so idk.....modernized everything was dressed up it wasnt like the 1850s when jedidiah smith and jim bridger were trapping it was the whole resort feel, i having travled so far was a little let down, colorado is so sprawled i need a place where my inner vagabond can run free and colorado is to populated

Old 09-21-2008, 09:18 PM

well when i am one here braggin to you guys after i have done it and have pics to prove it you will see what i mean, lewis and clark didnt study up before heading west and its that same spirit that drives me, sometimes you know what you have to do without research, no school will teach you that its called your gut.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:21 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times
O. My. Gawd.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
and yes i was born late, i saw jeremiah johnson when i was 11 and ever since being in the american west is all i shoot for, the sad truth is when i arrived in colorado it was so idk.....modernized everything was dressed up it wasnt like the 1850s when jedidiah smith and jim bridger were trapping it was the whole resort feel, i having travled so far was a little let down, colorado is so sprawled i need a place where my inner vagabond can run free and colorado is to populated
Right, my 25 year old love reruns of Dukes and Knight Rider, he even called the TV station at age of 5 to complain because took off the schedule....Everything is commercialized and nothing stays the same short of desert or forbidden terrain...obviously if taking Geology - they do not teach any more than the origin or age of whatever, takes "common sense" and what M-Flisk said is true probaby plus....Where are you going to wash and dry your clothes, bath in what temp water....Is more to the story than TV or imagination....I could imagine surviving to do it, would I??? H E double LL no...I am not stupid...I can find other places of solitude to stroke that need, not needing to be suicidal...

Old 09-21-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
well when i am one here braggin to you guys after i have done it and have pics to prove it you will see what i mean, lewis and clark didnt study up before heading west and its that same spirit that drives me, sometimes you know what you have to do without research, no school will teach you that its called your gut.

Gut is good, instinct, but common sense keeps you alive...Is that not in your vocabulary....

Old 09-21-2008, 09:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
I like the funny troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska