Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:13 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
He who dies with the most toys.........

....is still dead.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Palin is a pretty face and a good speaker....not much more

Most of her sound-bites have been shown to be false or inaccurate

She hasn't finished too many things in Alaska that she ran on.....she is a republican politician, they all talk a good story til they are on the job

Even ole Carl Rove said today her big splash was short lived...
could what Carl Rove said has been taken out of context? I didn't hear it so can't say either way, but I have a feeling it was meant to mean (which would have been expected) her balloon popped a little. Are we losing sight of the fact she is running for VP, the Pres. Many will vote for McCain because they feel comfortable with her as a running mate, most will still vote for the Pres candidate, not the VP.

sound-bites false, can you give a few examples?

Nita

Old 09-20-2008, 09:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I cannot stand that woman and her friggin up do hair. If I see one more paper or tv show with her on it I will scream. She is the epitome of all that is awful and Republican!
what does the way she wears her hair have to do with liking her? If I based who and do and do not like on their hair style I would have a whole different set of friends and many of me friends would have dumped me a long time ago I am sure...Isn't that a pretty petty thing to say? Just my opinion!!!

Nita

Old 09-20-2008, 10:04 AM

391 posts, read 1,029,879 times
Funny, guys!

Old 09-20-2008, 10:13 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
Default Time for some humor...

Gov at First Sight | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

Old 09-20-2008, 10:31 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
Like I had posted earlier, almost all of the Alaska Native Shareholders are worth about a million dollars a piece in what their undivided interest is worth in their "Corporation".

What pains me, is to see them standing on the street corners in Anchorage and Fairbanks with signs "Homeless, Please help". When you do give them money, they head straight to the liquor store and buy a bottle of "Spirits".

The Native Corporations don't seem to pay too much attention to their own people at that level, but don't mind keeping that persons part of the pot and using it to make more money (greed doesn't seem to have a skin color). It wouldn't take that much of the "piece of the pie" to bring those people in off the street and do something for them other than keeping them drunk.

Most of these people standing on the street corners when they are sober are pretty nice folks, they seem to have been lost in the cracks for whatever reason (and there are many). But Alaska isn't like other States where the BIA is responsible for the local native populations, the Alaska Natives are flush with money in the way the Native Corporations were set up. That is why there is no "Reservations" per say as in the lower 48 states to "Herd" them to, the Corporations own hundreds of thousands of acres of prime land that they can do with what they please.

Reservations to me were/are a way to dump the American Indians, in a "Out of sight, out of mind" location, and is what they were designed for. Which was wrong, and I think the Alaska Native Claims Act was a good step in the right direction, they got money and land and can live where they want like any other person with dignity.

I would think taking care of their people at the lower levels of their social ladder would be in order. They have the money, just not the will...

Blaming the "White Guy" is a pretty lame excuse nowdays, it was a valid point years ago, but they have more assets than the rest of us will ever see.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:52 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
They are not all Native people, I seen a lot of white homeless "vets" out there panhandling, too. Don't make it a racial thing! My "corporation" only takes care of themselves, Calista. As long as they're making money for themselves, that's all they care for. Would've been nice to be a part of CIRI or Doyon, better yet, North Slope. We got a whopping $150 dividend this year, yippie.

Where's my Million?

Old 09-20-2008, 10:57 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Reservations to me were/are a way to dump the American Indians, in a "Out of sight, out of mind" location, and is what they were designed for.
Yup, & when the controlling powers then discover that the natives are sitting on a rich deposit of uranium or oil, they suddenly reach out with a colorful blanket loaded with smallpox & a paternal grin on their faces.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:21 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Default Your Name if Sarah Named you

Polit Tsk Tsk Tsk: Sarah Palin Baby Name Generator

I'm Froth Moonshine Palin...

Old 09-20-2008, 11:49 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Yup, & when the controlling powers then discover that the natives are sitting on a rich deposit of uranium or oil, they suddenly reach out with a colorful blanket loaded with smallpox & a paternal grin on their faces.
Perhaps in the lower-48, but not in Alaska. In here, both the Federal Government, State, and Native populations are sitting on oil and mineral rich lands. Not only that, but not too far from Fairbanks the State have traded oil-rich lands for Native lands that have no oil. This has been done at the request of a Native organization. In and around Fairbanks, we have a large Native population, too. So, Natives and the rest alike, live in the same "reservations."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska