Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I was suggesting that when getting political emails it doesn't hurt to run them through snopes FIRST. That's all.
We all know that she didn't actually ban any books, just like we all know that she did try to ascertain whether she had any authority as mayor to do so.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:22 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
We all know that she didn't actually ban any books, just like we all know that she did try to ascertain whether she had any authority as mayor to do so.
Yep!

Old 09-18-2008, 04:03 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I say let the people speak. What ever the heck they want. And yes...the state/country should accomodate the local tribes and print ballots in the different languages. This country was built by locals and immigrants and thier respective languages.
Why don't we just print up 198 different ballots, one for every language on the planet? After all, it is only taxpayer money, and the government always like taking more money from the taxpayer.

This country was built on immigrants ASSIMULATING into the American culture. Which is why it is called the "melting pot". If there is no assimulation, there is no "melting pot" and there is no America. Just a bunch a people who refuse to get along with everyone else.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:10 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
OK. Would there be a benefit to allowing this? I know that in the -48 there are years when there is such a surplus of deer that not thinning out the herd via hunting would lead to starvation for the animals.

I recognize that hunting in Alaska may be different. Are moose and other animals hunted for their meat in large enough numbers that giving away or donating their meat by 'recreational' hunters to persons who want it is not needed? i'm sure there are Alaskans who can no longer hunt for whatever reason who would be grateful for the donation.

My sons' friends who hunt always remember me when it comes to dividing up their 'haul' and I am soooo grateful!
Warptman is mistaken. Alaska law requires that the meat be salvaged, but the hunter can donate or give away all or some of the meat (it can't be sold). It is done all the time.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:02 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
IMO, no sane person would ever want that job therefore, they are all suspect in my book.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:32 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
I see no reason why those who were here beforehand should be force to assimilate into a different culture against their wills.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:35 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Citing court cases that the Governor signed off on is making "accusations"?

And of course you do know that Sarah Palin has refused to answer questions about that and almost anything else too.
That's not what I have said-several times already. This is what I have said "the text in the post above only shows accusations." It does not show the text explaining any reasons from the other side.

Also, I imagine that the whole thing has a lot to do with the fishing and game take-over by the Federal Government over the State of Alaska, which in fact isn't Palins fault. Should she just answer-in relation the the control of fish and game in Alaska-to the AK's Constitution, or bend-over to the Federal Government? She isn't responsible for the usurping of the State's rights by the Federal Government, relating to fish and game. She was not the Governor when this happened.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:39 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
I don't hunt and don't know Alaska law regarding hunting so please excuse my foolish question.

If a hunter is only interested in antlers, can he donate/give the meat to some one who wants it?
Yes you can donate the meat to anyone you want to, it just can't be left to rot in the field and you can't sell it. A lot of us donate surplus moose meat to the Nenana Seniors Center and they love to get it. There is also a lot of elders that can't get out and they get moose meat too and bear in the spring before they get into the fish.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:45 PM

391 posts, read 1,030,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I see no reason why those who were here beforehand should be force to assimilate into a different culture against their wills.
I agree...to include not voting if THEY so choose. If the State wants to use its funds for special interests (yep, the Native Corporations are special), then have at it (paying for all the assorted languages in a state, etc). Federal? Not hardly.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:50 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
I was born overseas, and became a naturalized American in my early years, later serving in the military from which I retired in the early '90s. It's my belief that English should in fact be the official language, and also that at least with Alaska and other American Natives, provisions should be made so that the information on the ballots be clearly explained (or translated) long before elections take place, and only if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska