Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:22 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well then you would know that they didn't have a "Written" language until the evil White Guys showed up and taught them about the written language....
The first orthography for Yup'ik was written by a Yup'ik man.

However, what has that got to do with whether we should be speaking a language native to this country, or a foreign language?

It wasn't until the past few decades that Westerners visiting Alaska first began to understand how to make boots suitable to actually keep your feet warm here... does that mean you and I shouldn't be allowed to keep our feet warm today, just because it wasn't an English speaking White man that first understood warm boots????

Maybe you should not be allowed to vote if your feet are warm...

Quote:
English is what bonds all of American's together. What happened in the past is just that, the past, it's not you fault, mine or anyone else that is mainly alive today.
The last time I checked, 1971 was "in the past", and it was the fault of a lot of people who are alive today.

The same with 1998.

Indeed, the sitting Congress is at fault for a variety of problems existing today in Indian Country (funding the Indian Health Service at 57% of need, for example).

Who in the Hell do you think is responsible for the fact that these things continue to happen year after year after year?

Quote:
Even in Alaska's history, the Indians here fought each other over different languages, The North Coast, Aleutians, Interior, South central and Southeast all spoke different from each other. Yup'ik is one of many spoken.
So just where do you get the idea that they ever "fought each other over different languages"???

In fact, they pretty much all got along very well!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
She was born in Sand Point, Idaho. Her parents moved to Alaska when she was a very young age.

Quote:
it is interesting to find out that not all of AK is pro-Palin or pro-McCain. I thought everyone there would vote for her simply because she is from AK,
Once again, if you thought that everyone here would vote for her simply because she has lived most of her life here...

They won't be voting "for her". She isn't running for President.

No doubt the three electoral votes that Alaska has will go to the Republicans. Big whoop, eh? The election will be decided before the polls close in Alaska.

Why is it interesting that not all Alaskans will be influenced by her being on the ticket? After all, we are individuals here.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:27 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act did not give any land (or "choices") to Native people. It took away all but a relatively small percentage of what they originally owned.
It was already gone by the time the Act was enacted, that was what gave it back. Remember the Russians sold it to the United States...

Quote:
For the land that was taken they were paid $900 million dollars, despite the fact that in just one place alone there was known to be more than $100 billion dollars worth of oil on that land (and of course since then significantly more value has been extracted in natural resources from the land that was taken from them).
Well the Arctic Slope Native Corp. gets a certain amount of the royalties of the oil produced on their land, as well as makes a good amount of change with their Oil Field Service Companies that rake in some big bucks of the Oil Fields that you hold so much distain for.

Quote:
As to the abuse, you're going to have to explain that one again, and this time use some kind of valid logic with a few real facts. You are saying, in essence, that they should liquidate the corporations and totally distribute all of the wealth... which is just a continuation of a policy long known as "Indian Termination".
You again don't understand plain english language, so I won't waste my time trying to explain it to you... or Alaskan History, both the good and bad.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:29 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
She was born in Sand Point, Idaho. Her parents moved to Alaska when she was a very young age.

Once again, if you thought that everyone here would vote for her simply because she has lived most of her life here...

They won't be voting "for her". She isn't running for President.

No doubt the three electoral votes that Alaska has will go to the Republicans. Big whoop, eh? The election will be decided before the polls close in Alaska.

Why is it interesting that not all Alaskans will be influenced by her being on the ticket? After all, we are individuals here.
Thank you Met...I wasn't certain, but I haven't read anything either

Old 09-17-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Floyd, I sure hope you don't say Inupiat or we're all in trouble. I saw the bilingual signs in the police station in Barrow when I first got there and I never did understand.
That is an excellent example. Why should you have to learn someone else's language in order to use the facilities... or to vote?

And why would you want to force someone else to learn your language in order to accomplish such basic needs?

Old 09-17-2008, 11:32 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
It was already gone by the time the Act was enacted, that was what gave it back. Remember the Russians sold it to the United States...
Oh for ****'s sake.

What you're basically saying is that white man's law supersedes.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
The first orthography for Yup'ik was written by a Yup'ik man.

However, what has that got to do with whether we should be speaking a language native to this country, or a foreign language?

It wasn't until the past few decades that Westerners visiting Alaska first began to understand how to make boots suitable to actually keep your feet warm here... does that mean you and I shouldn't be allowed to keep our feet warm today, just because it wasn't an English speaking White man that first understood warm boots????

Maybe you should not be allowed to vote if your feet are warm...

The last time I checked, 1971 was "in the past", and it was the fault of a lot of people who are alive today.

The same with 1998.

Indeed, the sitting Congress is at fault for a variety of problems existing today in Indian Country (funding the Indian Health Service at 57% of need, for example).

Who in the Hell do you think is responsible for the fact that these things continue to happen year after year after year?

So just where do you get the idea that they ever "fought each other over different languages"???

In fact, they pretty much all got along very well!
Well I am not going to train you in Alaska History, you need to do some history studying on your own. University of Alaska has a lot of really good websites you can study at and find out about Alaska History.

There were some very great Indian Warriors in Alaskan History and the Russians were terrified of some those groups, but you can find that out for yourself. As well as when and where they fought against each other.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh for ****'s sake.

What you're basically saying is that white man's law supersedes.
It did at that time, be it right or wrong, that is history. I didn't say I aggreed with it. It is just a fact.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:39 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
It is interesting to find out that not all of AK is pro-Palin or pro-McCain. I thought everyone there would vote for her simply because she is from AK, but then I read she is from Idaho.
As are most others are surprised, as not all of AK is pro anything, we do have minds outside of our igloo bubble....

Old 09-18-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well I am not going to train you in Alaska History,
Because you can't.

Quote:
you need to do some history studying on your own. University of Alaska has a lot of really good websites you can study at and find out about Alaska History.
I have. Actually I recently donated my original copy, as well as my 1970 reprint, of Bancroft's "History of Alaska" to the Tuzzy Consortium Library here in Barrow.

You should try reading that, just as a start.

Quote:
There were some very great Indian Warriors in Alaskan History and the Russians were terrified of some those groups, but you can find that out for yourself. As well as when and where they fought against each other.
The problem is that I am very familiar with that history, and clearly you aren't. You stated that they fought over languages, which is patently ridiculous.

Could you be more specific about just who the Ruskies were "terrified" of? Who would that be, the women and children of Sitka that they bombarded with cannon? (Cannon bought from an American sea captain who had some that were left over from the American Revolution, were used in 1804 to avenge a Tlinget victory a couple years before.)

Haven't you been embarassed already when it comes to making such statements about a history that you don't know? Or did you forget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska