Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pass on 5 Acres @ Deadman Lake (Near manley hot springs)
Run! Run away as fast as you can! Even for $1,000 3 50.00%
It's OK, just don't expect much. You get what you pay for. 1 16.67%
I love this area and can't get enough of it. 0 0%
Not an area for the timid hearted or more people would live there. 3 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:25 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander1980 View Post
Wow Starlite. That must have been some experience with taking the wood out to the cabin. Going all that way, on top of the world, noone around for miles. I bet not many people in the lower 48 can say that!
Thanks, but there are a lot more people that go to a lot farther extremes to do the same thing which makes my efforts pretty pale.

A friend of mine was dropped off by plane with his son in the Upper Kantishna River district at a lake, and hiked four miles (while cutting a trail which looks more like a road) and carried all their gear to his homesite, then built a log home by hand up on the side of a mountain. All the logs were dragged from over a quarter mile by "Come-a-long", (that is a cable on a hand crank winch). Took them a couple of years to get it done. Very beautiful work too, and out the front window you can see Mt. McKinley.

He lives almost a hundred miles out from the nearest town for supplies, and either flies in during the summer or snowmachines in during the winter. Once in a while his wife will come to town with him, but she prefers to stay at the cabin. By the way, he is about "62" ish, blind in one eye and with the heart of a horse...

But over and over you will find that people out off the road system have gone to a lot more extreme efforts to build a home, or even a cabin than I did.

But thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 09:15 PM

406 posts, read 755,516 times
I'm the president of the Deadman lake home owners association what do you want to know
Attached Thumbnails
Deadman Lake, different view - near manley hot springs-100_1307.jpg   Deadman Lake, different view - near manley hot springs-100_1297.jpg  

Old 10-23-2008, 11:39 PM

26 posts, read 114,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
I'm the president of the Deadman lake home owners association what do you want to know
Hello Mitgreb,

I do not want to steal this thread, However I have many questions about the area and they may help this threads owner as well.

On the second page of this thread, there is a photo of the area around the lake I want to buy in. It just happens the starter of this thread is looking at the same area (circled in blue).

By what I can see (google earth) this north end of the lake appears to be a hill side with what could be swampy run off areas on each side. So is that correct?

Next would be year round residence? Are there many? If so is there some semblance of a community in the winter?

Third would be one asked earlier in this thread.. What is the fishing like in the lake? and to carry it further what is the eatable flora and fauna situation like? It seems likely you'd see Caribou. But what about Moose, Rabbits and fowl?

I thank you for any info you can give.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:25 AM

Well I know your in the other thread lots of answers there. No caribou. Pike, moose, grouse, rabbits everything comes by from time to time. permafrost around most of lake except on the hills. Nobody living there constantly right now has been in the past.

"semblance of a community" Depends on the definition.

pictures taken from south west and north east.

There really isn't a home owners association I just appointed myself. Although the deed says there is.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 9,107 times
I live here in Alaska and do remote moose hunting in the area you are talking and if you really think that a 5 mile hike in this land is short then try walking through a cactus patch on your hands and knees its no were near enjoyable, nor safe. the grizzly in this country are many and you dont want to put inexperianced people in this area. just be safe and loan your friend the money.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 AM

11 posts, read 47,183 times
I own lots 29 and 30 in block 1, 9 total acres at the top of the hill- if you look at post 18 thats where there are. I bought them 4 years ago from DNR. I have never been there. Allegedly these lots are on higher ground and a south facing slope, I plan to fly up this summer to inspect them. What Ill finally do with them depends, I have no plans to sell though. If anyone has first hand info about this area Id be glad to hear it.
Thanks-
Scott

Old 02-06-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS482 View Post
I own lots 29 and 30 in block 1, 9 total acres at the top of the hill- if you look at post 18 thats where there are. I bought them 4 years ago from DNR. I have never been there. Allegedly these lots are on higher ground and a south facing slope, I plan to fly up this summer to inspect them. What Ill finally do with them depends, I have no plans to sell though. If anyone has first hand info about this area Id be glad to hear it.
Thanks-
Scott

There are a couple threads here about it, that have answered many questions. What do you want to know?

Last months trips to Deadman it was 52 below out there.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:08 PM

11 posts, read 47,183 times
Default Survey stakes

Historically DNR has been good about leaving the survey markers out, the little capped rebar stakes. Id like to precisely measure where my land is. What I paid for it is easily known, if I can throw a little something on it Id like to, a little something is no bigger than 300 s/f. I dont want to invest a lot in this (less than $20K total including land cost). I understand this might be difficult given the remoteness but Im not looking for year 'round accomodations. Basic is fine.

From DHR, Google Earth data and other research I 'assumed' I was on a south facing slope and among the highest elevation of the property. If you query my lots you'll see I have the two top center lots- they should be the best north of the lake. And if I am indeed on a south facing slope, the view of McKinley over the lake should be ideal. Again, I dont have a lot invested in this, so If Im way off its not too great a loss.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Historically DNR has been good about leaving the survey markers out, the little capped rebar stakes. Id like to precisely measure where my land is.
Yes the markers are there unless someone hit one with a snow machine. There is one cabin on the hill near you land.
What I paid for it is easily known, if I can throw a little something on it Id like to, a little something is no bigger than 300 s/f. I don't want to invest a lot in this (less than $20K total including land cost). I understand this might be difficult given the remoteness but I'm not looking for year 'round accommodations. Basic is fine.

Then I would recommend you find someone to fly the material in. If you do it in the spring you can do it on wheels Summer you will need floats and the winter skis. You will need an Otter or larger probably. If you want to get it done in a timely manner you have to get the materials in and if your not going to live here you just won't have the time.

From DHR, Google Earth data and other research I 'assumed' I was on a south facing slope and among the highest elevation of the property. If you query my lots you'll see I have the two top center lots- they should be the best north of the lake. And if I am indeed on a south facing slope, the view of McKinley over the lake should be ideal. Again, I dont have a lot invested in this, so If Im way off its not too great a loss.
I have been on that hill there is not view of McKinley because of the hills on the other side of the lake and the trees. You can't even see the lake unless you cut acres of trees.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:21 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Historically DNR has been good about leaving the survey markers out, the little capped rebar stakes. Id like to precisely measure where my land is. What I paid for it is easily known, if I can throw a little something on it Id like to, a little something is no bigger than 300 s/f. I dont want to invest a lot in this (less than $20K total including land cost). I understand this might be difficult given the remoteness but Im not looking for year 'round accomodations. Basic is fine.

If you are on the high side of the lake, then the ground issues aren't going to be as bad with water. View is limited to what you see flying into the place, once you are there, you are pretty much in a bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska