Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pass on 5 Acres @ Deadman Lake (Near manley hot springs)
Run! Run away as fast as you can! Even for $1,000 3 50.00%
It's OK, just don't expect much. You get what you pay for. 1 16.67%
I love this area and can't get enough of it. 0 0%
Not an area for the timid hearted or more people would live there. 3 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:09 PM

11 posts, read 47,183 times

Advertisements

Starlite9: No, I have never been to Deadman Lake but I used to live in Fairbanks and am familiar with the environment and challenges of remote property. Flying in material isn’t a problem, only I’m concerned about the quality of the soil, will it support a small structure? And how about getting it from the lakeside to lot? Marshy or actual dirt? That’s once I actually find my exact parcels. I’ve owned other DNR property before and while they are pretty reliable with staking I didn’t want to assume anything.

Mitgreb: Do you know who owns the cabin? And that’s too bad about the view, that would have been nice to see the Mt. But my main concern is the land itself; surveying the lot, getting material to my property from the lake and setting up a foundation.

I am not in a hurry to get this done and do not want anything fancy. Literally, something just to keep the weather out is fine. Something like what the park service uses for a pubic cabin would be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 03:24 PM

406 posts, read 755,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS482 View Post
Starlite9: No, I have never been to Deadman Lake but I used to live in Fairbanks and am familiar with the environment and challenges of remote property. Flying in material isn’t a problem, only I’m concerned about the quality of the soil, will it support a small structure? And how about getting it from the lakeside to lot? Marshy or actual dirt? That’s once I actually find my exact parcels. I’ve owned other DNR property before and while they are pretty reliable with staking I didn’t want to assume anything.

Mitgreb: Do you know who owns the cabin? And that’s too bad about the view, that would have been nice to see the Mt. But my main concern is the land itself; surveying the lot, getting material to my property from the lake and setting up a foundation.

I am not in a hurry to get this done and do not want anything fancy. Literally, something just to keep the weather out is fine. Something like what the park service uses for a pubic cabin would be fine.

Couple of Otter loads on the Ice and pull it up to your property by snow machine. Wait for summer and build. Good ground on the hill you can find all the property owner's names on the Web I don't think I should be giving that info out on the web. The first step would be to go out in the summer and find the markers and where you want to build.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:12 PM

Mitgreb,

Sound advice. The plan is to head up sometime this summer and stay a few days. My concern was that I not be able to find the corner markers of my lots. That and determine whether the ground even able to support the pad, as Ive owned other DNR property that wasnt worth building on. As I mention, I own the two adjoining lots (9 total acres and perfectly square)- hopefully its worth the trouble but if not Im not out too much money.

I used to coorespond with a fellow who rented out a cabin on Deadman Lake. He hadnt rented it in a while but was very familiar with the lake. I had a harddrive crash on me and I lost his info. Oh well. I understand the internet privacy concern so no worries.

Last edited by NOS482; 02-06-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 02-06-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Mitgreb,

Sound advice. The plan is to head up sometime this summer and stay a few days. My concern was that I not be able to find the corner markers of my lots. That and determine whether the ground even able to support the pad, as Ive owned other DNR property that wasnt worth building on. As I mention, I own the two adjoining lots (9 total acres and perfectly square)- hopefully its worth the trouble but if not Im not out too much money.

I used to coorespond with a fellow who rented out a cabin on Deadman Lake. He hadnt rented it in a while but was very familiar with the lake. I had a harddrive crash in me and I lost his info. Oh well. I understand the internet privacy concern so no worries.

Look me up when you get here. I will be going out there next weekend for a few days. Hope it isn't 50 below this time! The fires last summer devastated the trails on the south side of the Tanana.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:34 PM

Ok. Do you know a good pilot? And when would be the earliest you recommend I go out and camp for a few days?

Old 02-06-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Ok. Do you know a good pilot? And when would be the earliest you recommend I go out and camp for a few days?

I know lots of them. What you need is the right part 135 company. Worry about that after you have walked the ground and have a firm plan in mind for the cabin and the materials you will need. June. Since you said you use to live here I assume you know about the bugs and the bears.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:08 PM

Replied to your PM.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:45 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Mitgreb,

Sound advice. The plan is to head up sometime this summer and stay a few days. My concern was that I not be able to find the corner markers of my lots. That and determine whether the ground even able to support the pad, as Ive owned other DNR property that wasn't worth building on. As I mention, I own the two adjoining lots (9 total acres and perfectly square)- hopefully its worth the trouble but if not I'm not out too much money.

I used to coorespond with a fellow who rented out a cabin on Deadman Lake. He hadnt rented it in a while but was very familiar with the lake. I had a harddrive crash on me and I lost his info. Oh well. I understand the internet privacy concern so no worries.
When you first get to Fairbanks, go to DNR by Fred Meyers on Airport way. They can give you the lat/long points to your property for a GPS. When I used them to look for where my corners were in the winter, I used orange survey tape to mark what I thought was the right spots, in the spring, I found that I was three feet off on the farthest spot using the GPS numbers.

There are a number of 135 Operators in Fairbanks, you won't have any problems in finding one to fly you out. Your other option is to find a boat and the lake is about three and a half miles from the Yukon, you could walk in from there.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 PM

Default Thanks Starlite9

Ive been to the DNR office on Airport many times and you're right, they are a helpful bunch. Exact GPS coordinates would be great, I didnt know they could do that but I suppose I can ask.

And Im curious as to when DNR will be listing some new land. I left Fairbanks in Aug '04, so I dont get the 'inside scoop' like I used to.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:19 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Ive been to the DNR office on Airport many times and you're right, they are a helpful bunch. Exact GPS coordinates would be great, I didnt know they could do that but I suppose I can ask.

And Im curious as to when DNR will be listing some new land. I left Fairbanks in Aug '04, so I dont get the 'inside scoop' like I used to.
When you go in, just ask if they can show you the Lat/Long on your property from their survey maps. You need to make sure to have your GPS set on the Alaska Datum settings though, or you will be miles off...

Go to the DNR (Department of Natural Resources) site at the State of Alaska website, they have full details on what land is being sold, and where.

Home, State of Alaska
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska