Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pass on 5 Acres @ Deadman Lake (Near manley hot springs)
Run! Run away as fast as you can! Even for $1,000 3 50.00%
It's OK, just don't expect much. You get what you pay for. 1 16.67%
I love this area and can't get enough of it. 0 0%
Not an area for the timid hearted or more people would live there. 3 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 05:40 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,577,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecameron View Post
thanks starlite, yea im selling almost everything and when I get up there im buying a new snowmachine and 4 wheeler. and if I have to live in town a while , while im learning and takeing supplies out to where I want to be.I know it will be an awakeing. but am researching and gathering all info that I can.
Well if you are going to get a snow machine to haul freight, get one that has the twenty inch wide track, they go much better in deeper snow and can haul a lot of freight. Putting on wide ski skins will increase the front floatation as well. The last one I bought was a four stoke Arctic Cat, which I really liked, but I would get a fan cooled two stroke the next time for the fact that when you are pulling freight on a hard packed trail, unless you have a radiator that cools the engine, the track tunnel is where the cooling area is located and if there is no snow to flip up on the coolers, you overheat.

Second is that a two stoke has a fan and will blow hot air up and if you are freezing cold, you can warm up your hands and face, melt snow off your googles or visor and so forth. But the four stokes engines get much better fuel mileage, and are very quiet compaired to the Two stoke engines.

But everyone has different views on that as well. I'm not into going fast, you can't enjoy the ride if you are just watching the trail to avoid hitting something at high speed....

Most machines nowadays have hand warmers, and I use a heated face shield on my full face helmet as well so it doesn't frost up and you can keep the visor down in the cold weather.... I am refereing to below zero temps, and at times well below zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 11:29 AM

19 posts, read 37,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well if you are going to get a snow machine to haul freight, get one that has the twenty inch wide track, they go much better in deeper snow and can haul a lot of freight. Putting on wide ski skins will increase the front floatation as well. The last one I bought was a four stoke Arctic Cat, which I really liked, but I would get a fan cooled two stroke the next time for the fact that when you are pulling freight on a hard packed trail, unless you have a radiator that cools the engine, the track tunnel is where the cooling area is located and if there is no snow to flip up on the coolers, you overheat.

Second is that a two stoke has a fan and will blow hot air up and if you are freezing cold, you can warm up your hands and face, melt snow off your googles or visor and so forth. But the four stokes engines get much better fuel mileage, and are very quiet compaired to the Two stoke engines.

But everyone has different views on that as well. I'm not into going fast, you can't enjoy the ride if you are just watching the trail to avoid hitting something at high speed....

Most machines nowadays have hand warmers, and I use a heated face shield on my full face helmet as well so it doesn't frost up and you can keep the visor down in the cold weather.... I am refereing to below zero temps, and at times well below zero.
starlite. whats your experance out at deaman lake and thoughts

Old 02-24-2014, 02:29 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,577,968 times
Quote:
starlite. whats your experance out at deaman lake and thoughts

I have only landed there a few times on skis during winter, and once on floats to let a friend go look at some property he was going to see about buying, it was all wet, so he passed and bought land elsewhere. There is good land around there, but if you don't stand on it first, you may be very disapointed. There isn't much of a view unless you can get up on top of one of the hills, but unless you are at the lake's edge, there isn't many "View" spots. If I recall correctly, the southern side of the lake is open and has a drainage area, that is very wet, and many of the past land sales were in the area. But there is also good ground for building on as well, but that is why you need to take a GPS and walk the land you may want to buy. You can get the Waypoints from the state office in Fairbanks if you want to stand at the markers, I found that they all seem to be within a few feet of the survey markers so that is a very good way to make sure you are in the right spot. IF you are standing up to your nose in water, it may not be so good.

There are some things you can look for that may be of help should you not have access but can fly around the area. Tree coverage can tell a lot as well. If you have Cottonwood trees, it may have gravel, but a very high water table, if it has black spruce that appear short and stunted, it is more than likely boggy. If you have birch or really big spruce trees on the ground, it is probibly fairly solid ground to build on. But those are just guidelines.

If you go to the State of Alaska's over the Counter sales, they pretty much make a statement that the land is almost always boggy, so they kinda cover all of it under one blanket, of those some are really nice land though, and the higher the price, the better the land most likely is.

The problem I have is people (speculators) will buy the land for resale, leave out the details of the land's issues, and sell it for an inflated price to someone that has never set foot on the property. After they put a down payment on it, they make payment for a year or two and realize they can't access it and let it go back to the seller, who keeps that money and resells it again and again.

In my book I outlined the different Government agencies that will sell the land at the orginal price all over Alaska, and in most cases it goes for about $1,000 and acre for average to poor remote land, and more if it has a good view.

Land I bought from the State of Alaska out on Totek lake, it was almost $20,000.00 for five acres, It was on the North Shore of the Lake with a great view of Mount McKinley out the cabin door looking across the lake. But that was only about eight lots that had that view, the rest of the five acre lots, went for around $3,000+- and they had good ground, just no view at all. But the Speculator's buy the cheapest land, mark it up to three to four times that price and sell it on terms to people that want to have a dream that is close to a nightmare by the time they are through the experiance.

This is the view from my property at Totek Lake.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:29 PM

My lot is 14 block 9, for who ever might be around me, just saying hi

Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 PM

406 posts, read 756,997 times
Quote:
My lot is 14 block 9, for who ever might be around me, just saying hi
My personal contact information has been previously posted in one of these threads if you want to know about Deadman call me.

Tim

Old 04-01-2014, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,254 times
I will be viewing my block 9 parcel 19 (hopefully not a nose deep bogg!?!) summer of 14, to see what I will need for construction in 2015! So I guess this is a howdy neighbors!

Old 04-06-2014, 09:08 PM

406 posts, read 756,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyouok View Post
I will be viewing my block 9 parcel 19 (hopefully not a nose deep bogg!?!) summer of 14, to see what I will need for construction in 2015! So I guess this is a howdy neighbors!
I will see you out there. Let me know when you get here.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Curious here - did you purchase the land without seeing it?
We purchased land there without seeing it. We bought in block 9 lot 27 and 26. Can anyone tell us a little about this area..thanks so much

Old 05-30-2014, 10:59 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,109,543 times
Deadman Lake

I think the name says it all.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:12 PM

things are selling off as planed, Its still looking like end of june ,beginning july,2015, I should be there.I cant wait

Hows everything been going up there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska