Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:38 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,809,796 times

Advertisements

I scanned the site you linked the picture from but couldn't find anything related...

You always seem to make something outta nothing....or read in something that isn't there, in support of your right-wing agenda

You have no idea what my thoughts about Palin are....nor do I care what you think about the corrupt old bastards that Alaska is famous for...you seem to support them as long as they keep bringing home the bacon

I suspect you supported the ones that are in jail now also...

Last edited by Captain Crunch; 10-03-2008 at 11:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 11:46 PM

Last Train to Nowhere ....Council City and Solomon River Railroad near Nome Alaska

Old 10-03-2008, 11:55 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
I scanned the site you linked the picture from but couldn't find anything related...

You always seem to make something outta nothing....or read in something that isn't there, in support of your right-wing agenda
No right wing anything, I don't blame anyone if they do the job they were sworn to uphold. And I don't believe in conspiracy theories.

Quote:
You have no idea what my thoughts about Palin are....

Quote:
This book isn't about that friggen Ketchikan bridge...its about Alaska Corruption in general, like Murchitski and his greed-driven republican croonies

All the way down to Palin....
You made if very clear what your thoughts were...

Quote:
nor do I care what you think about the corrupt old bastards that Alaska is famous for...you seem to support them as long as they keep bringing home the bacon

I suspect you supported the ones that are in jail now also...
Nope you are wrong on both counts, I just don't convict someone that hasn't been convicted yet, that is a trait of the far left. And the ones that are in jail now, deserve to be there (none of which I voted for by the way).

Old 10-04-2008, 12:09 AM

well...that is certainly a lotta gibberish.....you're damn good at that

Old 10-04-2008, 04:54 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times
Quote:
That is true.

He is leaving out a lot of information, and knowing that information make his point look a little ridiculous.

The Railroad to Nowhere... Council to Solomon... was a commercial adventure, not a government funded boondoggle by Republicans. As a result, when it failed, it actually did fail! The government didn't prop it up with a bailout. The investors simply lost their money because the plan did not work.

The other projects mentioned are all basically the same, except they didn't all fail. Starlite9 also cited, and showed a picture of the Million Dollar bridge to Cordova. That was a privately owned railroad bridge when completed in 1911. It cost $1.4 million. The entire railway system was almost 200 miles long and cost $20 million. It was all donated to the US Government in 1941, after the close of the Kennecott mine. The mine of course had produced $200 million dollars worth of copper ore during its lifetime.

These railroads were not to nowhere. They were built to make money and were considered viable projects by the people who invested in them. Government did not build them.

Worse yet, few people seem to understand the significance of the earmarked money for the Bridge to Nowhere in Ketchican, or for the Don Young's Way out of Anchorage. The money was already allocated to Alaska as part of Federal Highway funds. The earmarks did NOT take extra money from the taxpayers of America!

The earmarks took services away from the citizens of Alaska. That money was supposed to go to the legislature, where the normal process for prioritizing Federal Highway funds would allow locations around the State of Alaska to benefit from Federal Highway funding of projects. By earmarking those funds, our Congressmen denied virtually any funding for other projects.

Obviously Starlite9 doesn't have a clue about Alaska, about Federal funding, Republican boondoogles, or roads to nowhere other than the one he drives home on.

Which is not surprising. I checked the times that he posts articles, and by his reasoning he lives between Greenland and Iceland. :-)

Old 10-04-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I know, facts really screw up babble...

Old 10-04-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
That is true.

He is leaving out a lot of information, and knowing that information make his point look a little ridiculous.

The Railroad to Nowhere... Council to Solomon... was a commercial adventure, not a government funded boondoggle by Republicans. As a result, when it failed, it actually did fail! The government didn't prop it up with a bailout. The investors simply lost their money because the plan did not work.

The other projects mentioned are all basically the same, except they didn't all fail. Starlite9 also cited, and showed a picture of the Million Dollar bridge to Cordova. That was a privately owned railroad bridge when completed in 1911. It cost $1.4 million. The entire railway system was almost 200 miles long and cost $20 million. It was all donated to the US Government in 1941, after the close of the Kennecott mine. The mine of course had produced $200 million dollars worth of copper ore during its lifetime.

These railroads were not to nowhere. They were built to make money and were considered viable projects by the people who invested in them. Government did not build them.

Worse yet, few people seem to understand the significance of the earmarked money for the Bridge to Nowhere in Ketchican, or for the Don Young's Way out of Anchorage. The money was already allocated to Alaska as part of Federal Highway funds. The earmarks did NOT take extra money from the taxpayers of America!

The earmarks took services away from the citizens of Alaska. That money was supposed to go to the legislature, where the normal process for prioritizing Federal Highway funds would allow locations around the State of Alaska to benefit from Federal Highway funding of projects. By earmarking those funds, our Congressmen denied virtually any funding for other projects.

Obviously Starlite9 doesn't have a clue about Alaska, about Federal funding, Republican boondoogles, or roads to nowhere other than the one he drives home on.

Which is not surprising. I checked the times that he posts articles, and by his reasoning he lives between Greenland and Iceland. :-)
Floyd, I am quite aware of the history of the items I listed. The fact that they now go "nowhere" is completely lost on you. Which is pretty normal of your lack of ability to grasp the obvious....

I was pointing out there are a lot of those type of items in Alaska from it's history.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:56 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Floyd, I am quite aware of the history of the items I listed. The fact that they now go "nowhere" is completely lost on you. Which is pretty normal of your lack of ability to grasp the obvious....

I was pointing out there are a lot of those type of items in Alaska from it's history.
Today, 100 years later, they go to nowhere.

The went to money, big money, when the were built by private funds.

You seem to not have a bit of perspective on history.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Today, 100 years later, they go to nowhere.

The went to money, big money, when the were built by private funds.

You seem to not have a bit of perspective on history.
Yes, I know who, why, how much and when they were all built. They are still going "nowhere" nowdays... Part of Alaskan history which is what I am/was refering to... At their time in history a million dollars was what a hundred million+ is today.

Were you aware that the Copper River Railroad paid for itself in twelve days after it completion hauling the copper ore to Cordova?

Floyd, Abraham Lincoln had a good quote that applies to you directly...

"It is better to remain quiet and have everyone think you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"....

Old 10-04-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Well unless you don't live in Barrow, it is the same time zone you are in...

Again, you are proving that Abraham Lincoln was correct...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska