Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:16 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,847,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I've always thought that loathing was a much stronger word than hate. You can hate or dislike peas but no one loathes them. This presidential race seems to be bringing out the absolute worst in people. And the funny thing is that it doesn't matter who you vote for, if you cast your vote for one of the two major parties. Nothing will change. They're essentially the same. Its too bad that no one gets the chance to see & hear the other candidates from the other parties competing in this contest.
This country is no longer what it was built on, (maybe)...the money buys whom we get to pick from...hence the modern meaning of politics...No everyday person could afford to run, nor probably be supported, by corporations and the big $$$ it takes to run and be bought out now'days...The everyday voters are left with what the money has bought...We are not given our choice, but theirs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 08:17 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,950,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
This country is no longer what it was built on, (maybe)...the money buys whom we get to pick from...hence the modern meaning of politics...No everyday person could afford to run, nor probably be supported, by corporations and the big $$$ it takes to run and be bought out now'days...The everyday voters are left with what the money has bought...We are not given our choice, but theirs...
Deb if you have some time check this out. Part one is excellent. Part 2 hits home, especially these days.

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Old 10-06-2008, 10:15 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,014 times
Quote:
Alaska is not a cult
to answer the original question, before it got dragged off into nonsense...

Alaska is NOT a cult, but it is a "click". Acceptance in areas is delayed alot because of the transient nature of this state. It's just the way it is.
We get a lot of good solid folks moving up here, and also a lot of dreamy-eyed fools moving up here, and a lot of simply dangerous f***wads who move up here because of whatever.
It takes time to sort them out. Don't take it personally, ok?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:18 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,121,949 times
Cult Of Personality!

YouTube - Living Colour - Cult Of Personality

Old 10-06-2008, 10:23 PM

wartp, you and I would get along great at work.......

Old 10-06-2008, 10:44 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,121,949 times
Has that song in my head now...

Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
I tried to listen but it was kind of a head banger.

Quote:
to answer the original question, before it got dragged off into nonsense...

Alaska is NOT a cult, but it is a "click". Acceptance in areas is delayed alot because of the transient nature of this state. It's just the way it is.
We get a lot of good solid folks moving up here, and also a lot of dreamy-eyed fools moving up here, and a lot of simply dangerous f***wads who move up here because of whatever.
It takes time to sort them out. Don't take it personally, ok?
Yeah, you nailed it there.

But then, my experiences are kind of colored by the last boom in SE. People would flat out state that the only reason they were up there were for the logging jobs and they couldn't see how any of us could live there otherwise. There was a lot of animosity in the community.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
But then, my experiences are kind of colored by the last boom in SE. People would flat out state that the only reason they were up there were for the logging jobs and they couldn't see how any of us could live there otherwise. There was a lot of animosity in the community.
I couldn't agree more.
And that animosity exist's even today.
The SE communities have been bought, paid for, and sold out by companies that came in.....gutted....and bribed (with a nice check...which by the way doesn't come in now...) and cut and run with the bulk of the $$$$$.
And where is everyone now....bi$$$ing about better cell phone service,yada,yada,yada.... instead of about the industry and the checks that was "to last foever"...and put everyone in this miserable condition.
I guess everyone can sell crap at cruise ship docks.
I'm not a life-long resident of the SE, but what has happened here has really pissed me off.
I got in trouble about a comment I made..."at least with the mafia you see it coming..."
wasn't appreciated.....oh well, I was looking for a job when I got this one....

Old 10-07-2008, 11:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Quote:
And that animosity exist's even today.
you should have seen it then, though...or rather, you should have heard it. We could hear it all the way to Hamilton Loop on Friday and Saturday nights--the ex used to say that the sounds of the fights between the loggers and the fishermen were really the sounds of Margie Y's cash register ringing.

Of course that doesn't happen anymore; the Hill Bar is eerily quiet these days even on Saturday nights.

Our kids have nothing left but ten dollar an hour jobs pandering to tourists. I can't tell you how happy I am that my own son took one long last look back at the forest that he grew up and loved and then--took a jet into the world.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:59 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,950,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
And that animosity exists even today.
In certain cases though its now the cruise lines versus the locals regarding certain areas that the CL felt would be perfect to develop & isolate from the community. Wrennie told me about one instance in Ketchikan. I'm figuring that the lure of easy money is worth alienating your friends & the rest of the community & ensuring their eternal damnation.

I'd like to think that there are only a few individuals who have been tempted by these offers. But by reading threads here & seeing news stories around the rest of the country I find that people are mesmerized by a fat check. The cruise lines & the tourists get to experience these places for maybe a few hours each day during the summer. The residents used to enjoy them year round & now get to look at a fence.

Let me ask y'all... Do the folks who sell out ever put any of the money that they receive back into the community? I don't mean taxes. I mean like buying a CT machine for a local hospital or funding a local festival or making improvements to docks & piers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska