Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:14 PM

244 posts, read 1,227,709 times

Advertisements

I will have to get a copy of the Milepost. I am all about being as prepared as can be. If it were up to me, I'd just pack up and move and figure it all out when I get there. But, I am a little more adventurous than my hubby. We have a family to think about anyway! And, I'm glad you said something about the gun thing akck cause my hubby has one that isn't work issue, it's his own personal one. And thanks for the Outback address glitch. Now, I can have that info if/when it comes time to transfer. It looks like this move is getting more and more complicated with each question I ask...UGH. Moving is never easy, but it sounds like moving to Alaska is going to take more planning than usual!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 06:05 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Here are a few albums of my Alcan trips...

Bethel Alaska Photo Gallery - Joe Joe's Alcan Trip 2006

Bethel Alaska Photo Gallery - Joe Joe's 2007 Alcan trip

Bethel Alaska Photo Gallery - Joe Joe's Return Trip Alcan 2007

Old 11-08-2008, 06:16 PM

457 posts, read 1,016,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannewright View Post
When we were stationed in Germany we tried everything we could to get orders to Alaska when our tour was up. It didn't happen and we ended up in Vegas (which we loved). My husband has been out of active duty for about 5 years now and we are missing all the traveling and new experiences we got to do while in the military. So, the other day we thought..."lets move to Alaska." Only thing is, I'm sure it cost a fortune to move ourselves. Plus, there is finding a job thing! So, I have a few questions to see if this would be something we could do in the next year or so. My husband is a Security Police Officer who makes about 70k a year. What do police officers get paid there?? Is it easy to get on the force? What area would be the best to live in with good housing prices, shopping, things for kids to do, good schools, low crime?? Maybe once we got all these questions answered we'll see that Alaska is not for us. But, the kids are excited to move and have told all their friends already...even though it was just a thought from us! So, I would appreciate any thoughts from those that live there! Thanks

Suzannewright; do another synopsis so we have an idea again.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:29 PM

manmountain-what exactly are you saying????

Old 11-08-2008, 07:17 PM

How is cell phone coverage in Anchorage for AT&T??? We have a land line now only becuase the house/area of town doesn't get good service and most of the we have 0 bars in our house. Since we have 4 kids, I always want to make sure they have phone available. I am hoping to not have to have a land line, but some sort of phone will be a neccesity!

Old 11-08-2008, 08:54 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
AT&T is here, but I have ACS. Can't tell you about coverage.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:23 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,365,059 times
Just moved here this month - had AT&T back in PA. Our coverage in Anchorage and surrounding areas is full bars, just as good as we had back in PA. Can't complain at all . Onstar is another matter - satellite or not - it didn't work on the Alcan.

We brought our doggie along and had a "health certificate" printed out by our vet. Both the ferry and US/Canadian border people asked to see the dog's paperwork. Hubby brought 4 hunting rifles with us - he printed out some forms and had them filled out ahead of time. He had to show the papers and guns to the border folks going into Canada and I think we paid $25. Coming back in the US when he declared the guns, the agent just asked if hubby had taken care of them with the Canada agents, and it was all good.

You'll get excellent advice on this site about how to do the move - I can't say enough about the great folks here!
Dawn

Last edited by akvarmit; 11-08-2008 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 11-08-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akvarmit View Post
Just moved here this month - had AT&T back in PA. Our coverage in Anchorage and surrounding areas is full bars, just as good as we had back in PA. Can't complain at all . Onstar is another matter - satellite or not - it didn't work on the Alcan.

We brought our doggie along and had a "health certificate" printed out by our vet. Both the ferry and US/Canadian border people asked to see the dog's paperwork. Hubby brought 4 hunting rifles with us - he printed out some forms and had them filled out ahead of time. He had to show the papers and guns to the border folks going into Canada and I think we paid $25. Coming back in the US when he declared the guns, the agent just asked if hubby had taken care of them with the Canada agents, and it was all good.

You'll get excellent advice on this site about how to do the move - I can't say enough about the great folks here!
Dawn

Thanks Dawn...so far I have gotten tons of great advice from this whole site. It seems like everyone wants to move to Alaska right now Guess I'm not the only one with the great idea! I can't get there fast enough, but my hubby is gone for work for 6 weeks, so he doesn't even want to think about it till he gets back. That gives me lots of time to research, so I know what I'm talking about when he gets home. Hopefully by summer we'll be all ready. The hardest part will be selling my houses I think! The market sucks here.

Is it too far fetched to think that I will be able to buy a house as soon as I get there? We'd be looking for 4-5 beds, 2 bath and a decent size yard for the kids and doggies, prob around 250K?? There is alot more that I prefer in a house, but not sure what I can get for my $ there. I am checking out all the realtor websites trying to get an idea of what's there. But, until we can plan a trip to check out the area with our own eyes, I just have to go off of what people on here think.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:53 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,106,591 times
One important thing I cannot recommend enough for those who plan on purchasing or renting a home here...is to look at the home firsthand before committing. I spent a few months pouring over the websites and conversing via emails with a realtor and upon arriving, a good majority of the homes I had chosen as possibilities were not as they appeared online.
I was only here for a week last April and found our home...so no, I don't feel it is too far-fetched.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:54 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
Sounds like a valley purchase to me or Chugiak/Eagle River. $250,000 is about right for a 3 BR, might get a 4 BR. Yard in Anchorage can be problematical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska