Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:23 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Freaking out over some article is whacked. Some of you are starting to sound like the "commie" nuts back in the 50 and 60's.
hello....Orson Wells...anyone remember??? well we might wanta pay attention given the "Hitler idea of human existance" but do not get worked up over it!! words only!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 03:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Freaking out over some article is whacked. Some of you are starting to sound like the "commie" nuts back in the 50 and 60's.
Yep.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:28 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
I don't think it's whacked. It's just discussing what could happen. Nothing wrong with that. It serves to just remind you to pay attention a little bit to what is going in the world around you.

I would hate to see the Russians invade. Cause I can just imagine what they have in mind. All the single family homes would be taken over by the politico and they would build one big apartment building like the Begich Towers in Whittier. Then paint it salmon color like the federal building in Ketchikan. The common man would have his car taken away and be issued a single speed bicycle with ballon tires.

Maybe then we could all be neighbors.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:40 PM

179 posts, read 595,046 times
I don't know whether I should be keeping an eye on Moscow or Washington.

Good thing I got two eyes...

More likely, since Pres. Obama would like nothing more than to get rid us loudmouthed Alaskans: Sell the land to China to settle our debts.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:49 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,655,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I don't think it's whacked. It's just discussing what could happen. Nothing wrong with that. It serves to just remind you to pay attention a little bit to what is going in the world around you.

I would hate to see the Russians invade. Cause I can just imagine what they have in mind.
Rance is right, and I'm sure that you do have a list of 205 commies there in your hand, Joe, but...

In reality if the Russians took over Alaska we could expect them to follow precident! They of course would do to Americans exactly what Americans did to the Russians in 1867. We signed a nice treaty and sent them a check. Then we had a little ceremony to change the flags. We literally tossed their flag into the mud as it came down, and we put up the Star and Stripes and Alaska became part of the USA.

The next day we booted the every Russian off of their property and confiscated it for the US Army. When they complained that the Treaty said it was their land, they were laughed at and told it was now under the jurisdiction of the United States of America, where we could do what we wanted to them, and if they didn't like it they were free to go back to Russia.

In fact there were never more than something like 600-700 Russians in Alaska at any given time, and in 1867 there were only a few who intended to stay. In fact, the number who did stay more than a few months ended up being a mere handful.

Warpt would be making snide remarks to himself almost overnight!

Old 03-06-2009, 06:52 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Is a 1/8th rooosian

Old 03-06-2009, 08:16 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
And when the USSR fell the "commie nuts" were proven right...

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this but people should be aware of what happens in the world, and nationalism is on the rise in Russia...where their economy is also taking a severe beating. That can form a dangerous situation, which I hope never does form...

Old 03-06-2009, 08:44 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,655,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
And when the USSR fell the "commie nuts" were proven right...
You mean... nahh, you can't be serious!

Did they really get up the nerve to look under the bed? And they found those 205 commies that Uncle Joe had on his list?

After all those years, they must have been dried up like mummies.

(Actually, what the found out was that a lot of old Russians were scared to death of the US because of what they'd seen during WWII. We didn't look an less likely to attack them than Hilter...)

Old 03-06-2009, 09:44 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Do we really have anything they'd want here? Oil is on the down swing, fishing is even worse, maybe some mining...but would it be cost efficient to produce and ship it to the motherland? Trapping wouldn't be an option, no farming to speak of. Timber?
Pretty much all we have is scenery. They won't be able to do alot with that. Until things perk up tourism is going to fizzle out save for the rich and famous.
Sorry...I just don't see any invasion happening. The toll would be to great for what little we'd have to offer.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 PM

83 posts, read 347,038 times
Quote:
Do we really have anything they'd want here? Oil is on the down swing, fishing is even worse, maybe some mining...but would it be cost efficient to produce and ship it to the motherland? Trapping wouldn't be an option, no farming to speak of. Timber?
Pretty much all we have is scenery. They won't be able to do alot with that. Until things perk up tourism is going to fizzle out save for the rich and famous. Sorry...I just don't see any invasion happening. The toll would be to great for what little we'd have to offer.
It's not all about the resources. Only a small part. It's more about positioning. Insuring that the U.S. continues to fall. If the U.S. crumbles while Russia and China rise, then what? Russia is friends with China, not the U.S. Did anyone see on the news about WHO is buying up foreclosed houses and property? GUESS!...... China! They already own alot of property in the U.S anyway. So doesn't it stand to reason that if we are dependent on foreign oil and our property is owned by other countries, then we would therefore be at their mercy. And furthermore...

Oil may be on the down swing, but AK still has it don't they? Let me know when AK runs dry. Isn't Palin working on some sort of gas line or something like that also. She was talking with Charlie Gibson about it back in October? Anyway...

The point is that they would be ONE STEP CLOSER to the lower 48. They would be in OUR backdoor. Imagine boatloads of Russian troops coming into Washington state or ground troops across Canada. But I think it would be to Russia's liking to just shoot missiles from AK into D.C. And you have to admit, it's easier to hit a target from 5 yards away, than 100 yards. Makes firing missiles into D.C. a whole lot easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska