Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 05:47 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Regardless of what anyone has to say about Wasilla, it has its charm. EVERY place has bad areas. Our home is in Wasilla and it is in a very nice area. No, Wasilla is not a hole. Wasilla has some very nice outlying areas with acreage and beautiful homes. As far as meth goes, that's all over, it's in Alaska and it's in ALL of the lower 48 States. Unless you hang with a culture like that you won't have any problems. Talkeetna has been mentioned. It's a really cute place. However, now even Talkeetna has a big reputation for hippy types (nothing wrong with that), and along with it is alot of weed. Not a place you want to go wandering on the backroads if you don't know someone in my opinion.

In Wasilla the Parks Hwy., area and little downtown area don't really have any charm, however, get on the backroads and you will see the difference. Our home is outside of Wasilla limits and we have a beautiful view, great neighbors (the few we have), and see what you think.

With the influx of folks from the lower 48 moving up, needless to say crime increases but that's anywhere.
I agree with this, Pat. I'll add that there really isn't a 'town' feel to Wasilla, as in for instance Palmer, as it is rather spread out - with the box stores and businesses along the Parks and housing in outlying areas. Our home is also located outside of Wasilla and is quite lovely with plenty of grounds to explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 06:48 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,247,217 times
The area around Wasilla is very nice, yes, but who ever was on the planning commission for the town of Wasilla should have their heads cut off, to say the least. We also live far enough out of "town" where it is very quiet, though we still plan to move out of this area, may it be towards Palmer, or even more north. When I go to a store, any store, I don't want to be in all the damn ass crowds of Wasslie.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:05 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Why might it be more your style?

It's a hole.

The place is overrun with meth (yes, many places in AK and the rest of the country are, but even on my little island we call Wasilla the "meth capital of Alaska"), Lake Lucille is dead, and that ghastly line of slum housing still exists on the Parks as you're escaping North.
While I agree with some of this and I too happen to live just outside Wasilla I do not see it as overrun by Meth heads. Yes you see some trashy people who you know crawled out from their hole in the ground, but to say over run is a bit of an exaggeration. Bellingham, Washington is OVER RUN with METH and HEROINE attacks.

I think it's ok but I won't live here forever. Kenai penn. seems a lot nicer and even Talkeetna (liberals and all )

Old 03-07-2009, 07:33 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
Well, I have lived in the Valley on and off since 1969. I have watched it change a lot in that time. I suppose you could say that Wasilla is the Meth capital of Alaska...at least that's what all the "progressive" blogs say. Who knows, it may be true.

There are really only about 6000 people or so who live in Wasilla. There are at least 30,000 or more that live just outside Wasilla. Those people live in many different neighborhoods that are mostly family homes on one acre lots. Wasilla is where they shop.

As a realtor I go in and out of houses every day, and have since 1991. I have taken classes on how to recognise meth houses. So far, I have not seen one. In general, Wasilla is a friendly place to live...that said, I live closer to Palmer. :-)

Palmer is just 13 miles from Wasilla and is basically the same except that it is older. Very few people live in the city limits of any of these towns. Most people live in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough and are outside of any city limit.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:22 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,247,217 times
No, I haven't seen the Meth around here at all. I'm sure it's here, just haven't seen it, though the guys that plowed my drive today had the "look".

The one thing I have really noticed is (don't anyone take this wrong, it's not a cut down), in this area, Wasilla, it seems as though, and I'm one of them, everyone isn't from here, meaning Alaska, not that I have met anyway. Now that still doesn't sound like what I mean. One reason I have always wanted to move up here was to be around, with, see, different people. Wasilla is just another town USA, just without the town.

We really are starting to think that our original plan of the Kenai area is more of what we have been looking for. Palmer seems like there are more "down to earth" and "real" people there, it's prettier, also. But Kenai peninsula is kind of calling right now.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:53 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
If you like pigs with lipstick who don't believe in global warming, who think killing wolves be airplane helps nature, by all means move there.
Y'all put lipstick on your pigs? Most times when you're learning about love with farm animals there's no need to go dressing them up. Then again things must be different down your way.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:07 PM

Hmm... Sarah looks hot with lipstick. I guess you're the pig that you keep referring to.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:12 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,416,728 times
Quote:
Your tax dollars probably paid for that lipstick and cheek job knowing the way she runs your government.
She is better than our last governor

Old 03-09-2009, 11:17 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,416,728 times
Quote:
Yep....denying global warming as glaciers melt in AK....destroying wildlife, through torture for sport....spending tax dollars on her own wardrobe....great governor she is.

Really I wish you people would be exiled to Hiroshima after the Abomb was dropped...because you deserve to be in an area destroyed by man made devices.
You don't deserve to live in a state with natural beauty like AK...because you'll just destroy it for the rest.
Cool!!! A free trip

Oh, the clothes I can live with. The personal jet of our last governor I can not.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Yep....denying global warming as glaciers melt in AK....destroying wildlife, through torture for sport....spending tax dollars on her own wardrobe....great governor she is.
Global warming? Please... Did you ever study climatology in school? Oh, that's right... You never made it past the 4th grade, my bad.

Quote:
Really I wish you people would be exiled to Hiroshima after the Abomb was dropped...because you deserve to be in an area destroyed by man made devices.
Hmm... Got a God complex too don't you? I bet ever waking moment of your life is spent in selfless devotion to others.

Quote:
You don't deserve to live in a state with natural beauty like AK...because you'll just destroy it for the rest.
Like the way that you've despoiled whatever hellhole it is that you've crawled out of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska