Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:54 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,781,302 times

Advertisements

Actually, the mainland USA screwed up its economy and real estate market to keep you guys up there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 11:19 AM

164 posts, read 328,955 times
I still hope for Alaska, not only do I have a home to live in there but I can't hardly wait for just the culture and pure beauty of it. I know I am strong enough to make it there I know that.. its getting there thats the problem. I know you all think were taking over and you try to scare us off and I can understand that to a point.. but I assure you I will add to the community not take away from it. BUT.. that being said.. I have started looking into Washington, maybe Port Angeles area.. it seems very peaceful there.. and then I could just vacation in AK and not have to worry about all the damn Canadian BS I am dealing with now..

Old 09-29-2009, 11:21 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
Sell your car and fly up, buy a car here. No worries!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:22 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,028,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Was just reading recent findings from the the US census bureau regarding movement within the US.
It noted that California and Florida are no longer the states people are flocking to. So where are they going?
*Washington DC
That's actually the most disturbing part of this entire story. One guess as to where all that money is coming from to pump up DC. Those arrogant SOB's are living it up while the rest of the country is in the tank.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,374,825 times
LOL Starlight
Don't think that will keep them away but it's a shot.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:25 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,374,825 times
Badadrmin might have missed it earlier but why don't you take the ferry up?
That way you are in the US all the time and can skip any potential Canadian
border problems.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Actually, the mainland USA screwed up its economy and real estate market to keep you guys up there!
However the economy in the -48 will recover. However I don't think that most Alaskans have yet fully realized how bad things are going to get up here. There are no longer any real long term growth opportunities for Alaska any more. As on commentator likes to put it, the Alaskan economy has struck an iceberg. The band is still playing for now, but the outcome is inevitable.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:44 AM

1,435 posts, read 2,781,302 times
Boy I hope you're wrong...

Old 09-29-2009, 11:57 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's interesting news, Jersey. Make you wonder whether all the publicity last year has anything to do with it.

I imagine that whether people make it through the first year or not will be at least partially dependent on their ability to find work, or the lack of same.

We're seeing a lot more retirees moving to the island.
Definately. Between the attention from the election and all the shows on TV people who never even thought of Alaska are going up, for political or economic reasons, although I believe reality will hit them hard. Especially the ones thinking they can just walk up and get a job on a fishing boat to get rich.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Boy I hope you're wrong...
Me too...but I just don't see anything bright on the horizon...

Petroleum industry - 80% of our economy - is at best severely in decline, at worst mortally wounded due to a wide variety of factors we don't need to rehash here. Oil production on the slope is declining at 5% per year with no significant prospects for any new development.

Despite all the political hype, the Gas line will likely never happen.

Same forces aligned against the oil industry are also openly hostile to any other forms of development: mining, fishing, etc. While they are currently focusing on Seals, Walruses, Polar Bears, etc...mark my words but it won't be long before the enviro-kooks will be trying to get fish species such as halibut, polluck, and salmon listed as endangered as well.

Tourism is dying - we'll see the real impact next year when the ships actually stop coming (this year wasn't as bad as predicted because the cruise lines already had the ships comitted, so they filled empty cabins with bargain fares, but many aren't even sailing up here next year).

We lost our representative seniority resulting in all sorts of consequences such as the recent congressional attacks on Native Corporations.

I could go on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska