Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 04:14 PM

24 posts, read 80,463 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, My name is Robert... I have recently started to explore my home state of Alaska... only ... more differently.

I've always been fascinated by urban legends, and ghost stories, so one day I took it upon myself to look into other people who liked the same sort of stuff...

As of recent with the popularity of shows like Ghost Hunters International and Paranormal State.... I figure there HAS to be a bigger interest up here in Alaska... theres so much to see and so much that hasn't been seen here.

Aside from the ghost hunting, I also just like to explore abandoned mines, tunnels, mansions/buildings... not only looking for paranormal activity, but just for a good picture and sense of adventure... there really isn't anything funner in my book.

So I guess what i'm asking is... What have you heard? do you know of any Alaskan places, abandoned establishments.... broken down airplanes up a mountain.... anything cool like that... any neat stories about the history of any cities.... ANY of them... Including eskimo villages in the arctic tundra. I am so fully interested in anything you might be able to add here... OR if you wanted to perhaps join me on an expedition sometime- It is really fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 04:41 PM

109 posts, read 335,304 times
supposedly the schools in valdez are haunted. theres 3 children that roam the halls at night mostly. i cant remember the story behind them but its what i was told when i started working for the school. i have yet to see or hear anything strange, night or day. i'll ask how often "the children" are seen. "the children" is what they are called by the other custodians and maintinence personel.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:42 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
I heard that these things called "tourists" actually come to Alaska every summer but I haven't seen any of them before!

Old 10-20-2009, 04:58 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,530 times
This forum is pretty creepy!

Old 10-20-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbound08 View Post
supposedly the schools in valdez are haunted. theres 3 children that roam the halls at night mostly. i cant remember the story behind them but its what i was told when i started working for the school. i have yet to see or hear anything strange, night or day. i'll ask how often "the children" are seen. "the children" is what they are called by the other custodians and maintinence personel.
Interesting--- Alot of the schools here are supposedly haunted. I had a chance to roam around Emmonak School as it had rumors of being haunted. I am interested in looking into a few of the Anchorage schools, and perhaps the Valdez one as well... I wonder if I gave them a call ... if they would take me seriously or not.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
There is an abandoned bus near Healy...

And let's not forget about the Iliamna Lake monster!

Old 10-20-2009, 08:55 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbound08 View Post
Well since I don't know of any kids that were killed there at school, and the old school and town were either destroyed or razed after the '64 Earthquake when everything was moved to the "New Town-site". The School was new when it was built and none of the old school was used...

If there were going to be ghosts in the Valdez area, I would figure that "Old" Valdez is where it should be happening... There were a number of kids killed (about 20+-) when the Earthquake hit and the Steamship was tying up at the dock when the quake hit, the kids were on the dock because the ship's crew would toss them down fresh fruit which drew the kids there. The ground under the dock area collapsed, the wave it created dropped the ship out of sight, the wave went to the other end of the Valdez Arm, came back and swept into town. Everyone on the dock was killed.

When I was there stationed in the CG when the Terminal was being built, we built a memorial to the people that were killed in town during the quake. It is next to the MSO building on the East side on the little knoll, may even still be there, been thirty years.... thirty years.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,843 times
you have really, SERIOUSLY, got to check out the buckner building in whittier. it's just about the creepiest building to ever exist. and yes, it's supposed to be haunted. go look it up and find out what you can! some great photos and videos online.

however, if you want to explore it, take some kind of facemask so that you don't breathe in any asbestos...you can just walk right in, no fences or anything.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
you have really, SERIOUSLY, got to check out the buckner building in whittier. it's just about the creepiest building to ever exist. and yes, it's supposed to be haunted. go look it up and find out what you can! some great photos and videos online.

however, if you want to explore it, take some kind of facemask so that you don't breathe in any asbestos...you can just walk right in, no fences or anything.
Wow... I totally forgot about the buckner building... (No clue how!!) ... I've got to make my way out there before snow hits!! ... My next trip is going to be Kennicott/McCarthy Copper mine... It's a complete ghost town and I want to spend the night up there and get some cool pictures and such... Too bad it's 8+ hours away and will take up an entire weekend.

I can't tell you how cool this is ... thanks so much for the suggestions guys

Old 10-20-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There is an abandoned bus near Healy...

And let's not forget about the Iliamna Lake monster!

Hmm I just googled Iliamna lake monster!! Woah.. never heard of this one... Care to expand on this at all? or has anyone else heard any myths stories or anything about it? what does it look like etc... That definitely seems like it needs to be investigated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska