Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:14 PM

33 posts, read 85,285 times

Advertisements

Yes the military is paying for the trip so we are going to take the ferry from Bellingham. I think the dogs will do ok we may get a light sedative just to relax them and make it a bit easier. I can't have kids so my dogs are my kids and we love them so of course I worry about them as I would my kids. I know many people think that is crazy but whatever.....
The info has helped a lot. People in Alaska are so much friendlier than people in the south and that is good! I was wondering if there are many mountain passes (like sheer cliff passes) on the drive or is it just inclines? I have driven the PA turnpike in the dead of winter with no snow tires and that was and experience going through the mountains in a blizzard.
I am having a block heater installed here before we leave Florida but I was wondering about the gas. Some one said that it will turn to jelly if it sits and I will be stranded?? My thought was to fill up before we get on the ferry and drive to Haines Junction to stay the night. What time does it usually get dark there in February? We will hit Haines on the 15th so almost in the middle of February.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 04:39 PM

6,258 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFfamily07 View Post
I can't have kids so my dogs are my kids and we love them so of course I worry about them as I would my kids. I know many people think that is crazy but whatever.....
I can totally relate about the dog. Both my sons are grown, so the mutt is a very important part of our family.

I'm on the way up there soon, so can't offer you any useful info (). But my son is USAF (in Iraq right now for the second time and excited as hell that mom is on the way to AK. I expect Boy-San to come visit pretty quickly after he gets home). Good luck to you, and thank you for your service. Safe travels.

Last edited by juneaubound; 01-04-2010 at 04:58 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 04:57 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Yes the military is paying for the trip so we are going to take the ferry from Bellingham. I think the dogs will do ok we may get a light sedative just to relax them and make it a bit easier. I can't have kids so my dogs are my kids and we love them so of course I worry about them as I would my kids. I know many people think that is crazy but whatever.....
The info has helped a lot. People in Alaska are so much friendlier than people in the south and that is good! I was wondering if there are many mountain passes (like sheer cliff passes) on the drive or is it just inclines? I have driven the PA turnpike in the dead of winter with no snow tires and that was and experience going through the mountains in a blizzard.
I am having a block heater installed here before we leave Florida but I was wondering about the gas. Some one said that it will turn to jelly if it sits and I will be stranded?? My thought was to fill up before we get on the ferry and drive to Haines Junction to stay the night. What time does it usually get dark there in February? We will hit Haines on the 15th so almost in the middle of February.
You can put a stabilizer in the gas (if diesel...mixture of gas to diesel) to evaporate any moisture and keep it fresher...Feb 15...my guess would be cold and dark early...few daylight driving hours so you want to make the most of it depending on the weather. If the weather is bad...stay put until you feel comfortable. Not sure what the PA turnpike had for weather, but I would think wind and blowing snow could be a real factor (look at pictures posted of that time of year). Have a safe trip and make it fun!

Old 01-04-2010, 05:06 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,363,389 times
Quote:
I was wondering if there are many mountain passes (like sheer cliff passes) on the drive or is it just inclines? I have driven the PA turnpike in the dead of winter with no snow tires and that was and experience going through the mountains in a blizzard.
Hiya - we're from PA also, so I can give you some comparison. Imagine the PA turnpike BEFORE they salt it. I can't speak for the Alcan as much as here in AK but we don't use salt or anti skid, mostly just sand.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:06 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Quote:
I don't think you'll need a sedative for the ferry. The hardest part will be to get them to do their business between Bellingham and Ketchikan on the enclosed ferry car deck. I've heard many dogs will try to hold it, but eventually relieve themselves. That makes that third call the most important. From Ketchikan on, there are port stops every 5-8 hours. The worst on will be a late night arrival at a port, but your stops don't look too bad. I remember taking the dig out at 1:00 am because the next stop wasn't for another 8 hours.

I think the only pass you'll notice is between Haines and Haines Jct. It's not really a sheer cliff pass, but you'll notice the drop off at the road edge. You'll likely see sheerer ones crossing the Rockies. Turning to jelly happens to diesel when it gets cold. I wouldn't worry about gas. Fill up in Bellingham and if you're worried, add some gas de-icer in case water condensed in your tank at some point.

For the time you'll be arriving, figure on 7-8 hours of daylight, but it may not seem like it depending on the weather (cloud cover). Pack food and drinks in a cooler (if you don't, liquid and moist items may freeze), as there are not many stops along the way. If you are looking to get to Tok from Haines Jct., I'm thinking you won't be by a place around lunch time. Most restaurants will make a to-go lunch for the road. You might consider that or munch on snacks. Do pack sleeping bags and emergency supplies. The road is well traveled, but it could be hours before you see someone.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:03 PM

33 posts, read 85,285 times
I know we are not Lewis and Clark and people do this everyday but I want to make sure that I have as much info as possible before we get there. I am a control freak and I like to make sure that I have things planned out. Thanks for the information on the dogs, from your albums I can see that you have dogs yourself and they are beautiful. I was wondering if the car deck is climate controlled or is it going to be cold for them? We plan on taking our time once we get to Haines and making sure that we are safe. We planned on stopping in Haines Junction the first night and then moving on from there the next day and hoping to make it to Tok. I just want to make sure that we are driving as much as we can in the daylight hours and not that much at night. I have heard that there are a lot of animals on the road at night and I really do not feel like running into anything on our way. We plan on having snow tires installed on our way to Washington and picking up some tire cables too just in case. I know that the roads are going to be snow covered and possibly icy but what would te average safe speed be during this time? I am hoping that we don't have too make this whole trip at 30. Luckily my new Fusion is pretty economical on fuel so that is a good thing. I think by the time we leave I will have a ton of pages from this website with good info from everyone!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Our dog is our baby too, so I can relate!

We have taught our dog the words "Do your business!" by praising him when he poops! Then the dog would know that poop is indeed what you want him or her to do on the deck of the ferry.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:27 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
I wonder if those "potty pads" would help in training a dog to poop on a ferry deck without feeling guilty?

Old 01-04-2010, 11:09 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Welcome to the control freak club. It's here for a reason. In order of priority to survive should something happen

Water. Aquablox are great
Ways to stay warm.
Personal Locator or Sat Phone (forget cells)
Food Case of MREs'
Signal Flares
Beacon
Rifle (you must declare this at the Canadian border and should have the form filled out in advance)

As Warptman pointed out the roads are plowed after the storm. If there is a storm wait for the plow and follow. avg speed around 35 to 45. If no storm you can do 50 to 60.

Ice happens. CORNERing you must go slower. These are not anything like turnpike roads. frost heaves (watch for small flags). Talk with the people about conditions up ahead. Haines Junction to Tok in good weather should not be a problem.

Have check in times and dates with family. If you have not arrived within 2 hours of your time, they should have a plan how to contact the Alaska Troopers or the Canadian Mounties.

If you skid of the road and the shovel and kitty litter will not get you out, STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE and stay warm.

This is a preparation list and you most likely will never use that. It's only for the time you do.

Its a real adventure. Be careful be prepared and have fun. =)

Old 01-05-2010, 12:40 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Quote:
I know we are not Lewis and Clark and people do this everyday but I want to make sure that I have as much info as possible before we get there. I am a control freak and I like to make sure that I have things planned out. Thanks for the information on the dogs, from your albums I can see that you have dogs yourself and they are beautiful. I was wondering if the car deck is climate controlled or is it going to be cold for them? We plan on taking our time once we get to Haines and making sure that we are safe. We planned on stopping in Haines Junction the first night and then moving on from there the next day and hoping to make it to Tok. I just want to make sure that we are driving as much as we can in the daylight hours and not that much at night. I have heard that there are a lot of animals on the road at night and I really do not feel like running into anything on our way. We plan on having snow tires installed on our way to Washington and picking up some tire cables too just in case. I know that the roads are going to be snow covered and possibly icy but what would te average safe speed be during this time? I am hoping that we don't have too make this whole trip at 30. Luckily my new Fusion is pretty economical on fuel so that is a good thing. I think by the time we leave I will have a ton of pages from this website with good info from everyone!
The car deck is enclosed and stays comfortable. You should roll down the windows a little for air circulation. It will cool off a little when they open to doors at port, but you'll be out walking them anyway.

You can do Haines to Haines Jct in daylight. For the Haines Jct to Tok leg, depending on the weather conditions, you can almost make it the entire way in daylight. You'll have 8+ hours of daylight and 8-10 hours of driving time. If you start out at daybreak, you should be able to get into Tok during twilight hours. Animals on the road shouldn't be any more of a problem than daylight. You just have to remember not to swerve for little animals (they're likely to reverse and you hit them anyway).

Depending on when the last storm goes through, there will be sections where you can go 50-60 mph. There will be sections where you'll be going 20-30 mph too.

You really won't need a gun for the trip, but the other items are good. Emergency supplies for 2-3 days are all that are necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska