Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:47 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,542 times

Advertisements

I recently came across this Salmon Poisoning while researching.
Is this a problem in Alaska? I have been under the impression it was common practice to feed salmon (even raw) to dogs here in AK, especially among the Mushers.

Here is a quick overview of salmon poisoning

F
Quote:
ishing can be wonderful recreation, but sharing the catch with your dog can be an act of kindness that kills.
Salmon Poisoning Disease is a potentially fatal condition seen in dogs that eat certain types of raw fish. Salmon (salmonid fish) and other anadromous fish (fish that swim upstream to breed) can be infected with a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola. Overall, the parasite is relatively harmless. The danger occurs when the parasite itself is infected with a rickettsial organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca. It’s this microorganism that causes salmon poisoning.

“Salmon poisoning occurs most commonly west of the Cascade mountain range,” says Dr. Bill Foreyt, a veterinary parasitologist at Washington State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. He adds, “Canids (dogs) are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning. That’s why cats, raccoons and bears eat raw fish regularly with out consequence.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 06:06 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,652,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I have been under the impression it was common practice to feed salmon (even raw) to dogs here in AK, especially among the Mushers.
"Raw" salmon is not fed to dogs. If for no other reason than they just don't digest it well! But I think most folks realize it isn't safe for the dog either.

However, your concept of what the word "raw" means might vary from what that statement says. Fish meat that is processed in almost any way, by heating, drying, freezing, enzyme or bacterial action is not "raw". Virtually any of those processes will kill the organisms that cause salmon poisoning, and at the same time make the fish meat digestible too.

In fact, processed fish is about 95% digestible, while other protein fillers commonly seen in commercial dog food are about 45% digestible. That's why dog mushers like to feed fish to working dogs! There are some obvious ramifications to that (when it comes to cleaning up the dog yard), but some are much more subtle. Puppies fed a boiled fish diet just about do not get hookworms or round worms. The waste products for the worms are not there, and the puppies are so healthy they have a higher immune reaction to the eggs and larval stages.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:51 AM

854 posts, read 1,978,088 times
we usually boil salmon for our dog (he's probably only about 6 months old).
he does like raw salmon eggs, though...

as far as i know, dried salmon is the most common thing fed to adult dogs. it kind of makes sense- you use the team in the winter, but you don't fish for salmon in the winter. it's the easiest way to preserve it.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:26 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,661 times
I'd be curious to hear if it's as much of a problem up there as it is here in WA. A relative of my own pup died from that. Also, a friends Rottweiler became deathly ill, but the treatments are much more advance now and he survived. Some dogs handle it better than others, too. I've actually heard stories of them recovering on their own, though they were quite sick. At any rate, it's something to be very concerned about as a dog owner.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Some people do feed their dogs raw salmon but usually they freeze it first; that will destroy whatever parasite exists, like Floyd said.

If a dog becomes ill with this and survives, it most likely won't get it again. I don't think it's very common in SE Alaska. In fact I haven't heard of much of it in Alaska at all.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-03-2010 at 01:11 PM..

Old 01-03-2010, 01:09 PM

You all have been very helpful! I do feed my dog "raw" but not salmon. I came across this on a Raw Forum and needed to know from Alaskans what the story was. I remember living in Delta Juntion and having the fish and game drop off a semi trailer full of raw salmon for anyone who wanted it. People would bring 55 gallon drums and load up. When asked, they said it was for their dogs.

Being an alaskan I assumed this fish was frozen since winter is the biggest freezer for 500 pounds of fish! LOL

Anyway, "My" definition of raw is simply not cooked, so Frozen would still be raw to me. Sounds like Frozen Salmon should be considered Safe? What if the frozen salmon was thawed before it was eaten? Would the thaw reactivate the parasites?

Old 01-03-2010, 01:17 PM

No, it wouldn't. I always err on the side of caution with my dogs, though. They get lots of salmon oil and our company does make salmon dog treats. I think what I'd worry about most is that they'll chew on old spawned out humpies by the creek.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:23 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,532 times
Doesn't the freeze have to be below a specific temperature for a number of days to kill certain parasites? I would do the research before relying on this method to ensure the food is safe to eat.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
Doesn't the freeze have to be below a specific temperature for a number of days to kill certain parasites? I would do the research before relying on this method to ensure the food is safe to eat.
Yeah. I don't think that most home freezers would do the trick.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:20 PM

-20C for at least 24 hours....

Seems that higher freeze temps, even with longer freeze times wont do the trick

Seafood Network Information Center

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska