Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:25 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Is Delta your town of choice? Or do you have a job lined up there?

I lived in Delta for 8 years. We have lived there with as little as $700 a month. While we most certainly not living large we were very happy.

We moved out of town just after the Missile Base was finished and I know that during the construction boom of 2002-2005, things changed a LOT! People suddenly raised their rents 3 fold. A place that rented for $350 was now going for at least $900. Housing prices skyrocketed in hopes of selling it to the people working for the government making $30 - $50 a hour.

I'm not sure what things are like now that the construction has died down there. Did they go back to "normal"? I doubt it. There are still enough locals that have work on the base and make decent money for the area. ($17 a hour as a security guard or housekeeping)

The good thing about Delta though is that you can live very cheaply there is you want. It really depends on what type of lifestyle you want to lead. Are you going to be happy living in a dry cabin with a generator? Do you have to drive the newest car or will a paid for oldie-but-goodie work for you? Do you shop at REI for your outdoor gear of will Carharts and Walmart satisfy your needs?

If I were to guess an income that would let a family of 3 get by in Delta I'd have to say $36,000.
$36K for a family of three would be a very low income, too low not to be able to survive without Welfare and such. A military member with a wife and a kid, would receive nearly $2,000 per month just for housing allowance. That should tell you how much you would need to live off post around Delta Junction. Also, there aren't any malls, Walmart, Hone Depot, Big Rays, Fred Meyer, nor any other big-chain stores in Delta Junction, except for the very few stores in the center of the town. To buy groceries and things like that in Delta Junction is very expensive. One can drive to Fairbanks in the middle of the winter, but that takes a few hours of driving on an icy road, and requires a vehicle in top driving condition, or a fairly new vehicle with the added monthly payments (including insurance). On top of that, add heating fuel for keeping you warm, which could be from $400.00-$600.00 per month for around 1,700 sq. feet of heated living space (fuel over $3.60 per gallon).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malagagirl View Post
This is EXACTLY the sort of info I need to know as I prepare to head north. Thank you so much for the specifics.

It seems to me the only cost I'm really going to have much control over will be housing - how big and what type of house I buy is going to determine how much pie is left of my income and savings nestegg. My mantra these days is downsize, downsize. Still, I've been reminded that a MORE expensive house may be better in the long run if it is more energy efficient. Lots to consider!
Just because it's a more expensive house does not mean that it's more energy efficient. However, a new home that has been built by a reliable builder has a greater chance of being more energy efficient than an older home. If you can have the seller providing you with a copy of the heating fuel use for a period of a year (provided from the fuel delivery company), that could give you some ideas. However, you also have to determine how high/low the thermostats in the house are kept during the winter and summer months, as well as figuring if the resident uses other forms of heating sources (electric heaters, wood stoves, and so forth). It's not an easy task, and you may have to pay out of your pocket to have an energy assessment done. If wood, in addition to heating fuel is used to heat the home, then you have to figure how much wood is used. A cord of seasoned wood costs a lot more than a cord of wood that is not seasoned. But cut/non-split wood costs around $275.00 per cord. Seasoned and cut wood costs more than that. A cord of wood (stacked all the way around) is considered to be 8' long x 4' wide x4' high. One of my coworkers uses 7 cords of wood to heat his home in Fairbanks, which brings his heating fuel bill to around $200.00 per month. His house has around 2,500 sq. feet of heated living space.

I use a wood stove to heat the main floor of my home (living/dining rooms, kitchen, a long hallway leading to three bedrooms, and the bedrooms). However, I only burn wood from perhaps 6:00 PM to 10:00PM during the week, and about the same number of hours each day of the weekend. The temperature in the living room, dining room, and kitchen raises to perhaps 84 degrees. The temperature in the bedrooms raises to perhaps 75 degrees. I only use around 2 cords of wood that I cut, split, and season myself. The boiler heats the house and domestic water the rest of the winter.

Most home buyers just buy the house, and then are shocked when the winter arrives and the house is having problems. But a few, those who know the condition of the home or know how (or have the money to pay a construction engineer) usually can anticipate problems and deal with the seller or the banks.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-24-2010 at 03:55 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 03:49 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
Before the missile base started at Ft. Greely, Delta was going through a major depression. Ft. Greely had been a major employer and when they closed due to BRAC, many people had to leave the town to find jobs elsewhere. Local business owners and people involved in farming stayed, but those were desperate times, with tourism in the summer being one of the few sources of income, since the town is located at the end of the Alaska Highway. I grew up there in the heyday of the pipeline and active status of the base. Now there is a lot of immigration from Russia and the continued activity of the missile defense program.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Before the missile base started at Ft. Greely, Delta was going through a major depression. Ft. Greely had been a major employer and when they closed due to BRAC, many people had to leave the town to find jobs elsewhere. Local business owners and people involved in farming stayed, but those were desperate times, with tourism in the summer being one of the few sources of income, since the town is located at the end of the Alaska Highway. I grew up there in the heyday of the pipeline and active status of the base. Now there is a lot of immigration from Russia and the continued activity of the missile defense program.
You are correct. Also, there is a very high rate of people in Welfare in and around Delta Junction. The missile shield construction work should be nearing its end. But a maintenance crew will probably be there for a long time. The Army and this crew should maintain Delta Junction stable for the time being, but it's hard to predict how the economy of the area will be. All depends on what the Federal Government decides to do from one year to the next, and in relation to the civilian workforce, everything is done on contracts. Civilian personnel on post are mostly hired in a temporary basis, and it's very common to find oneself without work the following year or two.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You are correct. Also, there is a very high rate of people in Welfare in and around Delta Junction. The missile shield construction work should be nearing its end. But a maintenance crew will probably be there for a long time. The Army and this crew should maintain Delta Junction stable for the time being, but it's hard to predict how the economy of the area will be. All depends on what the Federal Government decides to do from one year to the next, and in relation to the civilian workforce, everything is done on contracts. Civilian personnel on post are mostly hired in a temporary basis, and it's very common to find oneself without work the following year or two.

Yes, that's true, even many people who are working get food stamps and medicaid. And I have known a few who lost their jobs with the government contractors on base. There are many sociological problems in town.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:17 PM

7 posts, read 23,418 times
Ya'll are scaring me.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyjames View Post
Ya'll are scaring me.

There are many people there that love it, too. I do, just couldn't find a job in accounting. There are small town issues and problems but you don't have to get involved in that. Some people bring on their own problems. It is a unique place and can be wonderful!

Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyjames View Post
Ya'll are scaring me.
Just don't be scared. This is a reality of living in Alaska. Most non-native Alaskans move in here with the military and private employers. A lot of these stay here, often after retiring from the military, losing their jobs in the private sector, etc. A lot of these also bring their dependents with them, and a lot of these dependents also stay here.

Moving to Alaska on your own, specially if you have a family or don't have a lot of money saved, can turn into a mess. I have been in Alaska over 30 years, and retired from the military in 1994 after 20 years of service. I am working on my second retirement, this time with the State. My wife and I have been very lucky financially, and manage to save a little on every pay check. One problem is that while Alaska is not too far from the continental US, when you arrive here you are isolate from the rest of the US by an ocean in the direction of Hawaii, or by Canada looking South. Moving around the lower-48 is much easier, since you can easily drive back to neighboring States if things don't workout for you. Also, you can drive or ride a bus, train, etc., to another State for job interviews.

Like gobrien said, some people make it here and love it. Alaska is a place that some people either hate or love (nothing in between). It's very common to see newcomer couples (a lot of the military ones) separating after a year or two of Alaska living. While the active member has not choice but to stay and complete his or her tour, the spouse has a choice. It's hard to explain why so many couples separate, but it happens all the time. Both my wife and I as well as our children have always loved this place, and my wife was strong enough to put-up with my military life without a hiccup. We have been married for over 30 years, and I am fully aware that she is the most wonderful person I have ever met.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-24-2010 at 10:17 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 10:21 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post

On top of that, add the high property tax (around $3,000 per year for small home), .

There are no property taxes in Delta

Old 01-24-2010, 10:34 PM

7 posts, read 23,418 times
Well, I really appreciate all of this information. Please continue to share your knowledge.

I think we have come to a decision about how to negotiate (what is the least we will take). It is a bit of a stretch but is God wills it, then we will be on our way. If not, I will be sad but will move on. I haven't been able to get Alaska off my mind since we put in for this job. It sounds so wonderful and fitting for us.

Like I said, feel free to keep the information coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska